Difficult to start on hill without burning clutch

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Difficult to start on hill without burning clutch

Post by Adam_013 »

I do agree ^.

Also find it difficult guessing what gear to use at a roundabout, 1st is too low and 2nd is too high when your rolling [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:47 am I do agree ^.

Also find it difficult guessing what gear to use at a roundabout, 1st is too low and 2nd is too high when your rolling [emoji23]

I go for first, where I'd use second in any other car.
It really is like VW have used a six speed gearbox, removed first gear, and just re-labelled the other ones 1-5 instead.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Certainly does, only real thing what ruins the whole car imo. The other small things I can live with.
Andy Beats wrote:

I go for first, where I'd use second in any other car.
It really is like VW have used a six speed gearbox, removed first gear, and just re-labelled the other ones 1-5 instead.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 pm Certainly does, only real thing what ruins the whole car imo. The other small things I can live with.
Andy Beats wrote:
It does make the car unpleasant and unpredictable to drive around town, that's for sure.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Agree - if you are slowing down to a rolling stop to enter a road or roundabout, especially if it's an incline, must drop to 1st gear and get ready to boot it back to gain momentum - no chance of keeping in 2nd and slipping clutch a bit to wait for the power to come in, instead it bogs down in the death zone below 1500 rpm and you find yourself avoiding oncoming traffic. Amazing how gear ratios can make a big difference to how it drives - the car feels more at home on the motorway than around town.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The biting point on my clutch is getting quite high.
I actually don't hold up much hope for the life of my clutch, and I've only done 722 miles.
Why VW have hamstrung the car with a ridiculously high first gear is just beyond me.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I hate to say this, but some very bad things are being said about the drivability of the 1.5TSI engines - generally VW Group importers say "not a fault" - but then "an update is planned to get rolled out Q2 2019" - where/why is so much going wrong, I'm sure that other manufacturers are having issues - but maybe not so many and continuing that way.

I was looking forward to getting a Polo 1.5TSI as my wife's next car in a year or so, so I hope VW Group sorts this problem out, this problem will be with the first version of 1.5TSI already delivered, hopefully extra issues do not appear with the version with GPF fitted - one of my wife's friends has just bought a slightly used Golf 1.5TSI - I'm sure that we will get to hear if it is tricky to get moving, seems like they bog down as in initially over fuelled, then as you fight through it it all turns good, like the 1.0TSI, but probably for other reasons, cold comfort when you are jumping out into traffic or trying to get going on a steep hill.

Edit:- I still feel the need to stick with VW Group for the supply of our cars, mainly as I have VCDS and I don't fancy changing marques and needing to spend a lot of money buying a new suitable near dealer level diagnostic tool, because I have worked out that to own and run a modern car with minimal inconvenience to myself etc, I do need to be able to find out what is the root cause of problems - as the dealership workshop will not, all they do is stuff new parts on and move onto the next job.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:27 pm I hate to say this, but some very bad things are being said about the drivability of the 1.5TSI engines - generally VW Group importers say "not a fault" - but then "an update is planned to get rolled out Q2 2019" - where/why is so much going wrong, I'm sure that other manufacturers are having issues - but maybe not so many and continuing that way.

I was looking forward to getting a Polo 1.5TSI as my wife's next car in a year or so, so I hope VW Group sorts this problem out, this problem will be with the first version of 1.5TSI already delivered, hopefully extra issues do not appear with the version with GPF fitted - one of my wife's friends has just bought a slightly used Golf 1.5TSI - I'm sure that we will get to hear if it is tricky to get moving, seems like they bog down as in initially over fuelled, then as you fight through it it all turns good, like the 1.0TSI, but probably for other reasons, cold comfort when you are jumping out into traffic or trying to get going on a steep hill.

Edit:- I still feel the need to stick with VW Group for the supply of our cars, mainly as I have VCDS and I don't fancy changing marques and needing to spend a lot of money buying a new suitable near dealer level diagnostic tool, because I have worked out that to own and run a modern car with minimal inconvenience to myself etc, I do need to be able to find out what is the root cause of problems - as the dealership workshop will not, all they do is stuff new parts on and move onto the next job.
I'd have thought the 1.5tsi (never heard of it myself) has a good bit more lown down torque and better driveability.
Most are complaining about the 1.0Tsi, which is obviously a bit weedy low down and is further hampered by a first gear that actually feels like it should be second gear.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Very true, but I only mentioned that as there is a common trait here, and that is getting moving or moving off - same issue just different reasons.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Seems that VW are doing their utmost to dissuade buyers from manual gearboxes. The gearbox and clutch in my manual Golf R are abysmal. They've stopped you buying manual Rs now, but I'm wary about having a manual box on our second Polo GTI+ if the option is selectable before I have a build date. I want a manual box, but I don't want a gritty throw, occasional inability to slot the gear stick home and a chocolate clutch considered "characteristics" of the car and not a fault (as VW have declared on the manual R).
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd expect that it is more than just VW Group that are moving away from offering manual gearboxes as it still leaves too many decisions in the hands of the driver, which might not be easy to include in the overall desire to minimise emissions - or at least operate with an engine that has been optimised with one thing in mind, ie emissions.

I'm with you in as much as I prefer manual gearboxes even although VW Group gearboxes in higher powered cars are not slick to use always.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I've had a DSG gearbox for three years before, I'll never ever have one again.
Just despised it, only got it because it was the only way to get S-line spec at the time (DSG and S-line came as a £1500 package)
If VW are steering people towards those, they'll lose me as a client.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Just an observation on DSG on extreme hills. The gearbox itself is excellent and I wouldn’t want to go back to a manual now and it certainly makes life easier on hills.

However, as it is not a torque converter box, it still has clutches of course and as such I encountered some clutch burn smell (but only subtle) on an extremely steep hill.

I was driving up Winnats Pass in Castleton yesterday and it was certainly easier with the auto but it kept itself in 2nd gear due to the incline and there was a faint whiff of clutch.

When I came back down the hill, I had to reverse back up because a tractor was coming and there was a wider part of road behind me so reversing itself was a doddle but resulted in a slightly stronger smell of clutch burn.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I have a DSG box and noticed that when I pull off it pulls away in second gear, I've never seen first. The thing is, I live in Lincolnshire and apart from driving over the Wolds, but there not high or steep, the vast majority of Lincolnshire is flat. So for Polo members in Lincolnshire, it's a bit easier on the clutch.
As for the member who had to reverse up a lane, in the older cars, reverse was always a lower gear than first. going back many years where we lived there was a really steep hill and was single track, and if you met somebody coming down the hill you both had to stop, and many a time first gear couldn't pull away, so you just turned around and reversed up the hill.
Reading all the members complaints about their manual box and clutch, I'm glad I got the DSG box, but that don't help the others with manual gear boxes :(
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20 pm I resisted initially expanding on what you wrote, but now I will slightly, I think that the Barnett formula covers most of the UK and it is not a "good will" payment being handed out to those North of the border.

As with all payments systems, money is collected in and money is paid out, in the unlikely event that Scotland votes for separation from UK, the money being collected in from Scotland would reduce dramatically so the stopping any Barnett adjustment would just balance that out.

These motoring forums are not for racists so give it a rest.

As it seems to annoy you a lot, it was not me that chose my "status" on this forum, it was given to me probably by the moderators - do you ever wonder what your "status" could end up as?
The Barnett formula does not apply to most of the U.K., only Scotland, Wales and NI.

Scotland has received more than it gives for the last 20 years:

https://fullfact.org/economy/tax-and-spending-scotland/

Calling someone a racist is completely out of order. Later on you refer to him making an ‘offensive’ remark. In truth he made a statement that you disagree with, but it can hardly be called ‘offensive’.

You also called him a muppet. Don’t you think that is offensive to muppets? I certainly do, and I may register a formal complaint of anti-muppetism.

Anyway, the above contains some tongue in cheek remarks, but honestly just ignore you know who. Or to put it in other terms: “Leaaave ‘im, ‘e ain’t worf it”.