Difficult to start on hill without burning clutch

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
r4b
New
Drives: MK10 SE 95ps 1.0 Petrol Deep Black Pearl

Difficult to start on hill without burning clutch

Post by r4b »

Hey all, first post here after being a bit of a lurker for a while.

I recently upgraded to the MK10 from a MK8. Loved my MK8, was simple, never had any issues with it and drove nicely, notably never struggled with hill starts in it.

However, whilst I do love the MK10, it's a massive upgrade from my previous. After 5k miles I'm still struggling to get to grips with hill starts in the thing. I'm starting to think maybe there's an issue that I'm not seeing?

The majority of hill starts I do usually end up with that horrible burning clutch smell. I'm letting the clutch out nice and slow, using the hill start assist and I feel like usually if I add more revs I'll be spinning the wheels (usually using 2k). The engine doesn't sound like it's about to stall or struggling to set off either.

Has anyone else had this? Am I actually a terrible driver?! Haha. Thinking I might have to take it back in to the dealer if I can't get to grips with it soon.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Difficult to start on hill without burning clutch

Post by Adam_013 »

Yup, coming from a 9n3 I have the same issue. Even when reversing back up a slope when rolling forwards... I feel they're just weak clutches.
r4b wrote:Hey all, first post here after being a bit of a lurker for a while.

I recently upgraded to the MK10 from a MK8. Loved my MK8, was simple, never had any issues with it and drove nicely, notably never struggled with hill starts in it.

However, whilst I do love the MK10, it's a massive upgrade from my previous. After 5k miles I'm still struggling to get to grips with hill starts in the thing. I'm starting to think maybe there's an issue that I'm not seeing?

The majority of hill starts I do usually end up with that horrible burning clutch smell. I'm letting the clutch out nice and slow, using the hill start assist and I feel like usually if I add more revs I'll be spinning the wheels (usually using 2k). The engine doesn't sound like it's about to stall or struggling to set off either.

Has anyone else had this? Am I actually a terrible driver?! Haha. Thinking I might have to take it back in to the dealer if I can't get to grips with it soon.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

The clutches do 'feel' weak, but I'm hoping it's just an illusion caused by the very light clutch pedal.
It's so light it's unbelievable, it makes the clutch in my wife's Kia Sportage feel like a truck.
Conversely, the Kia clutch 'feels' tougher.
It's all about perception, it doesn't mean the clutch is weak.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Reading the posts, "r4b" smelling the burning clutch when starting on a hill. How steep are the hills around his area? Are the Polo clutch springs too soft for the job?
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm Reading the posts, "r4b" smelling the burning clutch when starting on a hill. How steep are the hills around his area? Are the Polo clutch springs too soft for the job?
Maybe just releasing the clutch too slow, these 1.0L engines have more torque than some bigger engines so may not stall as easily as you would think.
I've started on what i I consider to be steep hills without any issues, but maybe the OP has steeper hills than me.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

antz81 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 am
Maybe just releasing the clutch too slow, these 1.0L engines have more torque than some bigger engines so may not stall as easily as you would think.
I've started on what i I consider to be steep hills without any issues, but maybe the OP has steeper hills than me.
My wife and I have both noted that you have to release the clutch slowly, otherwise the car definitely feels like it's going to bog/stall.
I'm trying to force myself to release the clutch earlier, but it doesn't feel right yet.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

You have to get used to the bite point, different cars, different bite points, some are low some are higher, then you get the stiffer pedals that get a pain in the leg while in heavy traffic.
Just thinking, is your hand brake fully releasing?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 am You have to get used to the bite point, different cars, different bite points, some are low some are higher, then you get the stiffer pedals that get a pain in the leg while in heavy traffic.
Just thinking, is your hand brake fully releasing?
It's now where the biting point is, it's the length of pedal travel between the clutch starting to bite and releasing fully.
I've never had a car with such a long pedal travel between those two points.
Combined with the perceived (or actual) lack of low down torque and pulling away is just a bit of an unpredictable mess of revs and clutch.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

How high does it start biting? if it's really near the top 1", it needs adjusting. When a normal clutch starts to wear out the pedal starts biting at the top.
Take it back.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 am How high does it start biting? if it's really near the top 1", it needs adjusting. When a normal clutch starts to wear out the pedal starts biting at the top.
Take it back.
I'd imagine it's a hydraulic clutch, not sure any/much adjustment possible.
Like I said, it's just a long pedal action.
Where a small foot/leg movement will get you from biting point to fully engaged on other cars, the Polo seems to need more movement.
A foible more than a problem.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Never gave the clutch being hydraulic a thought. could you have air in the system?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 pm Never gave the clutch being hydraulic a thought. could you have air in the system?
Don't think so, there's no trouble getting gears and the pedal is consistent.
It's a long travel from bite point to fully engaged, but it's consistent.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Is there any other member who thinks that the clutch travel is too long in movement?

I really think Andy it's a trip back to the dealers and ask their advice about your clutch, if the travel is as bad as you say, you'll never be happy with it as long as you own it :( .
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:42 am
silverhairs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 am How high does it start biting? if it's really near the top 1", it needs adjusting. When a normal clutch starts to wear out the pedal starts biting at the top.
Take it back.
I'd imagine it's a hydraulic clutch, not sure any/much adjustment possible.
Like I said, it's just a long pedal action.
Where a small foot/leg movement will get you from biting point to fully engaged on other cars, the Polo seems to need more movement.
A foible more than a problem.
It's not a hydraulic clutch. I remember asking that when I was at the dealer. It doesn't feel like one to me either. Maybe it does just need adjusting.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Not a hydraulic clutch, now that would be novel!

I'm sure that it is a hydraulic clutch and it has a slave cylinder/concentric bearing thing combo as opposed to an external slave cylinder with a rod and release arm/bearing.