Noisy wiper motor/linkage (with video)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Noisy wiper motor/linkage (with video)

Post by Andy Beats »

Only noticed this last night, as I usually have the stereo blasting.
My wipers don't half make a loud whirring/creaking noise!
See the below youtube video link, you can hear the noise easily - is this normal........???? :shock:

https://youtu.be/hJXeOB0w5w8
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Noisy wiper motor/linkage (with video)

Post by silverhairs »

To be honest, I looked at your video, there did seem a bit of wiper motor sound and the blades flipping over when traveling the opposite direction, (which I think the wiper arm springs are to strong in the new Polo, this could also be the problem with members wiper blades juddering).
The thing is after listening to the video, how high should I set the volume for the real sound your hearing? I turned up the volume as to hear the sounds. Also you had nothing else running to compare the wipers too.
Can you see where I'm coming from?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Don't know what you mean by "nothing else running to compare it to"?
Obviously having stuff like the engine running and stereo on will mask the noise, but that doesn't make it right. :(
If you can 'zone out' the noise of the wipers themselves, you should be able to clearly hear the whirring/creaking noise that I've not heard on any car before.
I suspect the linkage, I'm going to try the wipers with the bonnet open soon (assuming they will work properly with the bonnet open).

EDIT, the wipers don't work with the bonnet open....so can't get access to the linkage 'in action' properly.
Listening on the outside, noise definitely seems to be coming from the driver's side linkage, a sort of creaking noise.
I'll maybe give it a spray of lube, I suppose that's all the dealer would so anyway. :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:52 pm Don't know what you mean by "nothing else running to compare it to"?
Obviously having stuff like the engine running and stereo on will mask the noise, but that doesn't make it right. :(
If you can 'zone out' the noise of the wipers themselves, you should be able to clearly hear the whirring/creaking noise that I've not heard on any car before.
I suspect the linkage, I'm going to try the wipers with the bonnet open soon (assuming they will work properly with the bonnet open).

EDIT, the wipers don't work with the bonnet open....so can't get access to the linkage 'in action' properly.
Listening on the outside, noise definitely seems to be coming from the driver's side linkage, a sort of creaking noise.
I'll maybe give it a spray of lube, I suppose that's all the dealer would so anyway. :roll:
What I'm trying to say, if you had the engine ticking over, I could set the volume, so as to hear the engine and how bad the wiper motor mechanism sounds?

You now have three things to take your car back for inspection. Wiper motor mechanism, wind coming in from your drivers door and Clutch

Talk about whirring noise, I was saying bye to a mate, he turned on the ignition and his rear view mirrors came out, now they really sounded rough, and it's a new car.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:12 pm You now have three things to take your car back for inspection. Wiper motor mechanism, wind coming in from your drivers door and Clutch
Don't think there's anything wrong with the clutch, plenty of others have reported the car is just a bit awkward to pull away in and I think the long pedal travel is just part of that.
I'm putting it down as endemic to the car, a foible.
The wind noise, I'll see, it's only a commuting car and I only noticed when it was really windy outside (so the equivalent of sitting at motorway speeds).
The wipers is the most important one, seeing as winter is coming.
But I really, really, REALLY hate having to take cars to the dealer across town, it's just an inconvenient pain in the ass. :evil:
I should learn and just get a Honda, their dealership is 5 mins away. :lol:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Wind noise, or other noise form the driver's side door area, my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL has that, what I think is happening with her car is that someone has forgotten to fit a bung into the door pillar and it is road noise, certainly when driving it I can hear everything that is going on outside, where as when in the passenger seat outside noises are muffled quite a bit.

Door mirror mechanisms being noisy/rough sounding, they all seem to do that, maybe it is to draw attention to the fact that "you" have a car with powered mirrors (I've never ever had that, daughter's late 2009 Ibiza does though and I automated them by fitting a PCB that some clever person online was selling).

Noisy wiper linkage, someone in the 6R/6C Polo section complained about that soon after getting his new Polo - I noticed that as well, sounds a bit nasty when you have had many cars with smoother systems. The thinking is that VW have extended these front wiper blades so much on recent Polos and possibly down rated the drive linkage, that what you are hearing is the result of these changes?

Edit:- your plan to get a Honda instead might not work as you would never remember where that garage was as they don't seem to have too many problems, but yes, dealing with dealerships especially over warranty work, not a good thing to need to do as they are all idiots who treat you as a fool.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 am Only noticed this last night, as I usually have the stereo blasting.
My wipers don't half make a loud whirring/creaking noise!
See the below youtube video link, you can hear the noise easily - is this normal........???? :shock:

https://youtu.be/hJXeOB0w5w8
Hi Andy

I'm with you on this - noticed it on mine, it sounds like a strange whirring / whining noise going up and down - almost like a bird or animal sound! It's definitely not noise from the blades on the screen. I suspect some lubrication issue with the linkage and bushes but it would be tricky to access this and add some WD40 or grease which is what's needed.