1.0tsi (95bhp) MPG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

1.0tsi (95bhp) MPG

Post by Andy Beats »

Interested in what others are getting, as I'm a bit disappointed in mine.
Driving it more gently than I've ever driven a car before, I'm getting an average of only 37mpg.
On my way to work, which has long downhill periods, I'm getting around 46mpg.
On the way home, obviously long uphill periods, I'm scraping 30mpg.
This is tickling the throttle, really really gentle driving, I honestly dread to think how low it would go if I used the performance any more. :shock:
Isn't this really poor? :?:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: 1.0tsi (95bhp) MPG

Post by monkeyhanger »

How long is your commute? What kinds of speeds are you doing?

My 13 mile commute is about 50% National Speed Limit but traffic volume restricts you to about 50mph. There's a mile and a half of a complete crawl on the way home, but only half as bad on the way to work. So I get about 34mpg to work and about 31mpg home. On the weekend, almost the same journey (I work close to the Metrocentre) to go shopping, with less traffic is more like 37mpg.

Took a longer commute home last night - 15 miles but I avoid the crawling section and my mpg is up to 36mpg.

Due to the much higher gearing on my Polo GTI, unless I'm doing a predominantly motorway journey, my Golf R is more frugal than my Polo - it is optimally set to be comfortably cruising at 50mpg and economy is hammered at 80mph where 6th is at 3100rpm vs Polo being 2400rpm, barely more than my old Golf GTD.

Your Polo 1.0 will be the same - geared way too high for optimised urban driving. That's WLTP compliance for you.

On the Polo GTI my mpg falls off much quicker if I put my foot down than it does for the Golf R.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My commute is 5 miles, about 2 miles of 60mph and the rest at 30-40mph.
It's not the ideal commuting scenario as the cars never get fully warmed up or get to stretch their legs, but it's the same commute I've been doing for 15 years and, to be frank, I expected to at least get over 40mpg easily.
My Diesel Juke used to return 44mpg on the same commute and that was driven A LOT harder than the Polo is, it was really hammered.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

My commute is 14miles mix of 30-60mph and usually get around 45-55mpg depending on my mood...

How many miles are on your car?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 pm My commute is 14miles mix of 30-60mph and usually get around 45-55mpg depending on my mood...

Isn't East Anglia very flat though?
I've got 750 miles on the car now.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Fairly, a few small hills en route to work though. It's not literally flat.
Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 pm My commute is 14miles mix of 30-60mph and usually get around 45-55mpg depending on my mood...

Isn't East Anglia very flat though?
I've got 750 miles on the car now.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm Fairly, a few small hills en route to work though. It's not literally flat.
I've noticed that when I drive to town, which is a flat drive, I can get 45+ MPG on the display.
It's when you throw in anything that requires anything above the very lightest throttle opening that it plummets.
Really, getting down to 30MPG just shouldn't be possible even if I was driving it like I'd stolen it. :roll:
The fact I'm getting down to that even when driven gently is just mind boggling.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Yeah.. when I've done some prolonged 90+ it's still got back about 35ish
Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm Fairly, a few small hills en route to work though. It's not literally flat.
I've noticed that when I drive to town, which is a flat drive, I can get 45+ MPG on the display.
It's when you throw in anything that requires anything above the very lightest throttle opening that it plummets.
Really, getting down to 30MPG just shouldn't be possible even if I was driving it like I'd stolen it. :roll:
The fact I'm getting down to that even when driven gently is just mind boggling.

Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

I have to admit when I first got my car I really struggled with the whole fuel consumption to and couldn’t get my head round the whole MPG for such a little engine car
My car can do anything from 34-40mpg
I’ve seen it do 50mpg
I normally fill my car fortnightly but I’ve seen a full tank sometimes only do me a week and a bit, but then I am constantly do short burst
The longer the run the better and I’ve also found not putting in supermarket fuel gives me more miles per gallon
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My wife, who, whilst not thrashing cars, has a very inefficient way of driving (she'll hold a lower gear when a higher one would be fine) managed to get the Polo down to 31mpg.... :shock:
Her driving style is no excuse for such abysmal MPG - it's a flipping 1.0 Polo for goodness sake.... :evil:
I know I should have gone diesel again...
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I've seen over 54 MPG in my 2.0 GTI https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... 10#p542210
Generally I'm around the 45mpg mark. Seems like the car tends to favour cruising around 50-60 MPH. Generally I'm using DCC on my commute of just over an hour on 95% Motorways. Rarely using the throttle as the traffic conditions just don't allow it. Around town it tends to be mid to high 30s. Due to the nature of road network local to me I rarely have the opportunity for a 'spirited' drive.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

As much as MPG doesn't seem an issue for me, a wish I'd stuck with diesel! I miss everything about one.

And 31! Christ, that really isn't great at all! I'd guess the dealer would say its meant to be like that, and down to driving style...

I know a few people who have the equivalent 1.0tsi unit in an Ibiza and A1 and they all get similar. Perhaps your car just likes petrol
Andy Beats wrote:My wife, who, whilst not thrashing cars, has a very inefficient way of driving (she'll hold a lower gear when a higher one would be fine) managed to get the Polo down to 31mpg.... :shock:
Her driving style is no excuse for such abysmal MPG - it's a flipping 1.0 Polo for goodness sake.... :evil:
I know I should have gone diesel again...

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 am As much as MPG doesn't seem an issue for me, a wish I'd stuck with diesel! I miss everything about one.
Yeah, I wish I'd just bitten the bullet and paid the extra every month for a diesel.
It would have been worth it for the better MPG and the much better low down torque.
But after a year of having an electric car and having the evils of diesel drummed into me, I thought petrol was better.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

roywolfey wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:11 am I've seen over 54 MPG in my 2.0 GTI https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... 10#p542210
Generally I'm around the 45mpg mark. Seems like the car tends to favour cruising around 50-60 MPH. Generally I'm using DCC on my commute of just over an hour on 95% Motorways. Rarely using the throttle as the traffic conditions just don't allow it. Around town it tends to be mid to high 30s. Due to the nature of road network local to me I rarely have the opportunity for a 'spirited' drive.
I suspect the 1.0tsi is just underpowered to the point that acceptable MPG is only achievable on flat roads.
Anything like hills thrown into the equation means throttle openings that are hammering MPG.
It doesn't feel underpowered, per se, but the MPG suggests it is.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

These 1.0 units are underpowered in a big heavy Polo (fine on a little Peugeot 108). The Polo is almost the same weight as an equivalent Golf (There's only about 40Kg between a Polo GTI+ and a Golf GTI, it'll be a similar story for the low spec Golf which has the 1.0 engine vs the Polo range with the same engine).

If you're out on hills or on the motorway, a 1.0 95ps engine is going to be working hard for a high proportion of the time. The sweet spot for economy vs output has historically been around 1.4/1.5L displacement. More than ever now though, cars are optimised to give the best mpg under test conditions rather than real conditions suited to most. You've seen recently that WLTP optimised cars have now got very tall gearing. The 1.0TSI with tall gearing and low torque has to be driven to high rpm, like a motorbike, and that does the fuel economy no good at all.

A lot of people have dumped diesel over the last 3 years, but I'd pick one over a 1.0TSI if I were doing lots of motorway speed driving.