1.0tsi (95bhp) MPG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: 1.0tsi (95bhp) MPG

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm Odd. Mine happily trundles along in fourth at about 25 mph. It will even seem happy in fifth at 30mph, but fuel consumption increases, I suspect it is labouring although it does not complain. Generally I change up to fifth at 40 mph.
I tried 5th at 30mph...I'm not doing it again.
It's actually lower than idling speed, and that's not good.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Funny you should mention a Micra, my parents have just got one.

Despite it making a wierd whiny noise it seems to pull ok, and no issues with pulling away at roundabouts in 2nd!

On a decent ish run they got back 60.4mpg on a 50mile run...

They seem happy with it, and it does drive nicely too, and seats are comfortable. Can't remember the spec of theirs, but it's not very high.
Andy Beats wrote:I was going to go for the new style Micra before spotting the Polo, they have a 'Bose' edition which I like.
It also has a three cylinder turbocharged 1.0 petrol engine, sourced from Renault.
I'd be interested to see how it drives compared with the Polo.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm Funny you should mention a Micra, my parents have just got one.

Despite it making a wierd whiny noise it seems to pull ok, and no issues with pulling away at roundabouts in 2nd!

They seem happy with it, and it does drive nicely too, and seats are comfortable. Can't remember the spec of theirs, but it's not very high.

It was between the Micra, Polo and C3 for me.
But when I walked into the VW showroom and saw the Beats in stock, I just took it.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I walked in and got mine... Then looked about and saw what I could of had. When I rejected mine and got another, sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off going elsewhere ...

Then again, I'm sure people with Fiestas, Ibiza (the same I know) and equivalent have some issues too.
Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm Funny you should mention a Micra, my parents have just got one.

It was between the Micra, Polo and C3 for me.
But when I walked into the VW showroom and saw the Beats in stock, I just took it.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I was thinking Micra as my last two cars (Leaf and Juke) have been faultless.
Polo is cheaper though, the PCP APR of the Nissan garage is a daft 9.9%
You're a forgiving soul to take another example of a rejected marque, I wouldn't give them a second chance.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

You need to be wearing a balaclava to drive a Juke, so you don't get recognised - what a fugly car (beaten only by the Fiat Multipla) and surprisingly small on the interior when compared to the exterior.

There's a lot of them round my neck of the woods - the close proximity to the Sunderland plant means that everyone knows someone who works there to get them the family discount.

Although the sticker price is high, access to decent levels of discount and relatively high residuals (GFV if you're PCPing) make the Polo reasonable to own/run.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Back to mpg, I went to work 3/4 of an hour early today (06:45 set-off). My usual 32-33mpg crawl for 35 mins to do 13 miles was 37mpg , and would've been probably more like 39mpg if I hadn't hammered it on the motorway section. Driving at a fair pace on the motorway doesn't have half the effect on mpg as driving slowly on congested roads, especially with the 70+mph biased gearing.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:24 pm You need to be wearing a balaclava to drive a Juke, so you don't get recognised - what a fugly car (beaten only by the Fiat Multipla) and surprisingly small on the interior when compared to the exterior.

There's a lot of them round my neck of the woods - the close proximity to the Sunderland plant means that everyone knows someone who works there to get them the family discount.

Although the sticker price is high, access to decent levels of discount and relatively high residuals (GFV if you're PCPing) make the Polo reasonable to own/run.
I loved my Juke, I really did.
All the advantages of an SUV (ride height, ease of access), but with really good handling.
Bear in mind I've had at least six different Gtis and Alpina BMWs, I know decent handling, and the the Juke could be braked late and thrown into corners in a way that would amaze you.
Lack of space didn't bother me, it was fine for two adults and kids.
Look didn't bother me either.
I went for a Leaf straight after, so you can see external looks don't bother me that much at all.
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

I got this car last week, drove to london and back from newcastle the very next day... averaged about 50mpg on the way there, and about 58 on the way back. I was watching it all the way home trying to crack 60 but can't do it haha! Maybe next time. I was driving around 75 the whole time apart from average speed camera areas which i drove at 50 exactly (speed limiter is sorta nice).

Which is annoying, the car can see in front of itself (auto-brake). It can limit it's own speed. But adaptive cruise control is over £600? I don't believe it.

edit: just to add, coming from my very first car (the 1.4 diesel polo) the gears do feel really strange, exactly like everyone else has noted. No pull-away power at all, i had a very stinky clutch the first few times I pulled away, and then i've been going really slow in 5th gear without noticing, the car seems impossible to stall... i stalled my first car all the time but probably due to inexperience more than anything. I drove my diesel again just before I handed it back, and it was like an old friend. I could feel the bite really well, and could feel exactly when to change gear. I think i'll really miss that car. The MPG was insane, and was my first car. RIP friend.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I loved the looks of the Fiat Multipla, it reminded me of a Salamander, it had charm. Unlike other bland cars, or fugly SUVs, why do SUVs look so,damned ugly? Range Rovers are vile, so aggressive, as are most others, they look like boxes, as if to say “look at me, I’m rich, I don’t give a fig, so push off oik”.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

BTW, when talking about the Juke, my wife reminded me my 1.5 diesel Juke Tekna was £186 a month, cheaper than my Polo.
And Tekna spec has satnav, full leather etc.
It was only my weird desire never to own the same car twice that meant I didn't even look at one again.
Getting back to MPG, I hit the magical 1000 miles this weekend, I think I may have grossly underestimated my yearly mlleage.... :shock:
MPG hasn't improved, it still takes what I would call extraordinarily gentle driving to hit 40mpg. :cry:
My wife has now gone from moaning about me driving too fast, to actually saying "get a move on..."