Anyone going to miss a 3-door option?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Anyone going to miss a 3-door option?

Post by Ricmondo »

Looks are subjective but I think the 5d version of the 6C is much more attractive than the 3d which, to me looks dumpy and down market.

In my competitive years I favoured 2 or 3d as the shells were stiffer. Modern design and regulations have removed that advantage.

VW have looked at sales and decided that dropping the 3d will not harm sales or profit margins so it’s academic isn’t it.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that in "years gone by", hatchbacks were avoided favour of 2 door cars and the closed area at the rear of the 2 door "3 box" cars was much stiffer to begin with when compared with the equivalent hatchback?
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I didn’t have to avoid hatchbacks during my competitive era, they didn’t really exist in those days!

Yes I do know about the Citroen Light 15 variant and the early DB Aston Martins or even the A40 Farina Countryman but they were all rarities.

Thanks for making me feel even older than usual RUM4MO!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry about that, one thing about being older is that when I was a high school, our geography teacher who had an A40 countryman and he had served in the Royal Navy during WW2, so as it was mainly boys that were in that class, we used to distract him into telling of some of his stories from his navy days - I suppose it helped us as it put a bit of flesh onto/into some of these places that were just names on a map to us! Our poor physics teacher seemed to suffer from some sort of what might have been shell shock - we tended to be a cruel to him, by dropping things etc, seemed like a good idea at the time.
About 20 years my mate, who only ever bought old SAAB 95 or 96s, and tended to build his own houses in his spare time(!), bought an old A40 as an old car to play with, but from where I stood, his normal cars were old cars, anyway, that A40 lived in his garage, it smelt old, it smelt old and damp, after quite a bit of encouragement from me he sold it on without ever running it, best thing he could have done! Now after buying a few more houses in his spare time he has a 1974 SAAB 96 as an old car to play with, it runs, but he still keeps buying well used SAABs 9-5 sedans and estates as his daily runners.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 pm It’s the inconvenience. A front seater has to get out, move the seat forward, and wait while rear passengers get in/out. 5 doors is civilised.
Sorry, but I'm not getting your point.
Let's say you're carrying people in a three door car.
You plus three other adults.
When it comes to letting people in/out, why would it be you (the driver) getting out to let them in/out?
That's the front seat passenger's job.
I had this all the time in my Mini.
It's not like I sat there stubbornly refusing to let people in/out - it was just 'accepted' that it was my job to sit there behind the wheel and the passenger's job to let people in/out.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Just cannot believe your logic?
Your in a three door car, the person in the back behind the driver wants to get out.
So the person in the front passengers seat has to get out, pull the front seat forward.
The passenger who was sitting behind the front seat passenger has to get out to let the person sitting behind the driver, to get out of the car.

So because of your thinking, two people have to get out of the car to let the third person out :roll:
One thing I would bet on, if the person sitting behind you in a 3 door car, and they started puking, you'd be out of your drivers seat like a rocket :D

Still due to your new Polo having 4 doors, this will not happen.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:28 am Just cannot believe your logic?
Your in a three door car, the person in the back behind the driver wants to get out.
So the person in the front passengers seat has to get out, pull the front seat forward.
The passenger who was sitting behind the front seat passenger has to get out to let the person sitting behind the driver, to get out of the car.
If I'm parking the car and getting out myself, no problem.
If I'm merely dropping people off or picking them up, I'm not getting out and they can all get in via the passenger side.
Simple as that, really.
It's never been a problem, it really hasn't. :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I can see Andy’s point, why have a laugh opening the driver’s side door when on an active highway, when the obvious thing to do is use the kerb side door - I know too many people don’t get that logic and consider themselves more important than everyone else driving on the road, but one day, they will lose a door and if they are lucky, a leg!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Well thankfully, Andy won't have that trouble any more, as he's now got a 4 door car :D