Front tyre wear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Front tyre wear

Post by Muldoon »

Hi

Has anyone else put on some mileage and noticed the level of tyre wear? Mine now is showing 7500 miles on an 18 plate, the front Falken tyres (16 inch) are close to the tread wear limits being visible, guessing about 3 or 4mm tread left - I'm debating replacing with two new ones or even two winter tyres as it's not a great position to be in before winter in the pennines... I have a couple of theories, considering I have always got 20-30k from a front pair before. Either it's the previous drivers taking advantage of the torque to scrub off rubber ( I know it's not a massive torque output but more than normal non turbo engine) or else Falken are soft compound and not endowed with long life.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Front tyre wear

Post by Leif »

After 10,000 miles mine had loads of tread left, sounds like soft tyres or hard usage.
Muldoon
Getting There!

Post by Muldoon »

Leif wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm After 10,000 miles mine had loads of tread left, sounds like soft tyres or hard usage.
Thanks Leif - you may be correct, it was previously a courtesy / demo so may have been hammered... :roll: What brand are yours?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I replaced my front Falkens immediately.
Put on some Michelin Cross climates sourced from ATS, the beauty of those being I can keep them on all year ( we get fair amount of snow here)
Then I just sold the Falkens on ebay.
I think Michelin are still doing a deal where you get a free Amazon Echo dot with two tyres, or the bigger Echo with four tyres.
The cost of the two cross climates was £191.98 fitted and I got £70 for the pair of Falkens.
Net cost £121.98 and a free Amazon echo. :D
Muldoon
Getting There!

Post by Muldoon »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 pm I replaced my front Falkens immediately.
Put on some Michelin Cross climates sourced from ATS, the beauty of those being I can keep them on all year ( we get fair amount of snow here)
Then I just sold the Falkens on ebay.
I think Michelin are still doing a deal where you get a free Amazon Echo dot with two tyres, or the bigger Echo with four tyres.
The cost of the two cross climates was £191.98 fitted and I got £70 for the pair of Falkens.
Net cost £121.98 and a free Amazon echo. :D
Good plan Andy - I've had full winter tyres before on my previous Fiesta and it was superb in the snow, now by contrast facing winter with half worn Falkens...they do feel a bit 'budget'. Cross Climates get good reviews and saves swapping winters over each year - were yours marked XL fitment? They all seem to be XL for the 16 inch size even though my current ones are not. Don't think I would get tuppence for worn Falkens... :wink:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Muldoon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm Good plan Andy - I've had full winter tyres before on my previous Fiesta and it was superb in the snow, now by contrast facing winter with half worn Falkens...they do feel a bit 'budget'. Cross Climates get good reviews and saves swapping winters over each year - were yours marked XL fitment? They all seem to be XL for the 16 inch size even though my current ones are not. Don't think I would get tuppence for worn Falkens... :wink:
Yes, they're marked XL
Impressed enough with them so far, I'd say they feel a bit softer on the sidewall than the Falkens, which improves the ride.
The 'Eco' Falkens probably have a stiff wall to improve rolling resistance.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Muldoon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm After 10,000 miles mine had loads of tread left, sounds like soft tyres or hard usage.
Thanks Leif - you may be correct, it was previously a courtesy / demo so may have been hammered... :roll: What brand are yours?
Goodyear EfficientGrip, they seem okay I guess. Braking is good, as I found out when being stupid soon after getting the car, although that might have been the ABS and TC rather than the tyres.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm
Muldoon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm Good plan Andy - I've had full winter tyres before on my previous Fiesta and it was superb in the snow, now by contrast facing winter with half worn Falkens...they do feel a bit 'budget'. Cross Climates get good reviews and saves swapping winters over each year - were yours marked XL fitment? They all seem to be XL for the 16 inch size even though my current ones are not. Don't think I would get tuppence for worn Falkens... :wink:
Yes, they're marked XL
Impressed enough with them so far, I'd say they feel a bit softer on the sidewall than the Falkens, which improves the ride.
The 'Eco' Falkens probably have a stiff wall to improve rolling resistance.
I plan to stick some on mine when the current tyres wear down. How are they noise wise? I hear the ride is good, as you indicate.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I had these on my older polo and found them fine. Definitely seemed noticeably better than the current car on these Falkens. A few times I've been caught out on a slightly damp patch and the TCs had to kick in, or I've had to intervene whereas the older one with the Goodyear's never seemed an issue in the same places.

Not really ideal comparing tyres on different cars, but hey.

Also mates A1 also has these, and the above applies.

Oh and to add I've got 6mm tread left on all 4, after 7300 miles - only know from the brief check they gave it when it went for the handbrake.

Not entirely relevant but the older one didnt have TC.
Leif wrote:
Muldoon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Goodyear EfficientGrip, they seem okay I guess. Braking is good, as I found out when being stupid soon after getting the car, although that might have been the ABS and TC rather than the tyres.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm
I plan to stick some on mine when the current tyres wear down. How are they noise wise? I hear the ride is good, as you indicate.
Only did 76 miles on the Falkens, so not really placed to compare.
But the Michelins aren't noisy that I've noticed.
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

I run Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on my BlueGT (215/40 R17) all 4 corner's.
Got back in February, currently on 6mm rear/5mm front with mix of all driving. Quite a bit of driving motorway/distance driving to & from mountain bike XC race's at regional races March/August & 2 track days a year at Castle Combe year normally (only made Audi International at Castle Combe this year in October) so think pretty tough all round tyres soft grippy summer tyres that can cope equally well in the foul wet weather in the south last few weeks (lots of standing water/flooding) & hot done dry weather too (had both at Audi International on track in October) without resorting to cross climate all weather type tyres.
Don't seem to have any issues with wear/soft sidewalls people always complain about with them - certainly of that was a issue would show up with handling going badly off/etc during fast lapping at Castle Combe.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

MarkTS74 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 pm I run Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on my BlueGT (215/40 R17) all 4 corner's.
Don't seem to have any issues with wear/soft sidewalls people always complain about with them - certainly of that was a issue would show up with handling going badly off/etc during fast lapping at Castle Combe.
Fitted Rainsports to my wife's Clio a few years back, they were very soft on the sidewall.
Always gave the impression of being under-inflated when you walked towards the car.
Also, when I traded the car in, the sales guy noted an 'egg' on the inside sidewall of one of them.
They were quite new tyres and my wife swears she didn't remember hitting any huge potholes, so we could only assume their soft sidewalls couldn't cope with the same bumps she'd been driving over for years on other makes.
I've avoided them since.
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

The Uniroyal Rainsport 3's seem to be a mixed bag of good or bad results & depending on different drivers/cars.
Think you could say I have covered all types of wear & tear with my driving on them (track day - umm well have a heavy right foot road driving, motorway & town driving) so far done me well sidewalls seem/feel fine to me.

This does not means of course they are perfect for all, as tyres are so subject to personal feedback back to drivers & how they feel to different people & different platforms on how tyres wear too.
One driver might like one tyre but other not/etc