Steaming up windows on my GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Steaming up windows on my GTI

Post by silverhairs »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am Those steamy windows in a static car might attract dogging spectators! :lol:
There's a retired guy across the road, you never see him during the day. Once it gets dark he goes out every night. Not sure if he's out dogging or he's just a vampire :?:
Martin-GTi
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Martin-GTi »

jylydesign wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 am Use one of these they have vastly improved the situation for me

Pingi Dehumidifer -For Car and Home - Single Pack - 299g - Multicolor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ ... cCb5M9HR71

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
I sceptically bought one of the Pingi dehumidifiers from Amazon on your advice, and I have to say it’s been amazing. The weeks before I bought this, my windows had droplets running down the inside on some days. Since getting it, I have totally clear widows all round - and it’s been pretty damp in the week or more since I received it. :D
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Martin-GTi wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:35 pm
jylydesign wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 am Use one of these they have vastly improved the situation for me

Pingi Dehumidifer -For Car and Home - Single Pack - 299g - Multicolor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ ... cCb5M9HR71

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
I sceptically bought one of the Pingi dehumidifiers from Amazon on your advice, and I have to say it’s been amazing. The weeks before I bought this, my windows had droplets running down the inside on some days. Since getting it, I have totally clear widows all round - and it’s been pretty damp in the week or more since I received it. :D
Yeah, the Pingi's are good.
I bought mine for my Nissan Leaf, as they are notorious for misting too.
Interestingly, the 'dot' on the Pingo never changed to pink in one year of Leaf use, I never had to put it into the micro.
I've only been using it three weeks in the Polo and the dot changed to pink.
It's an extraordinarily damp car.
Garjen
New
Drives: 2018 beats

Post by Garjen »

I've been given a pingi for Christmas, think a family member has been reading the forum !, Its only been a few days and it has made a massive difference.

On the subject of dampness, I have looked at the seals etc and cannot see anything obvious apart from rain water sitting in the arches in both the back doors , behind the outer door seal and in front of the inner seal. Doors look tight fitting from the outside and seals are intact so no idea where it's coming from.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Garjen wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 am I've been given a pingi for Christmas, think a family member has been reading the forum !, Its only been a few days and it has made a massive difference.

On the subject of dampness, I have looked at the seals etc and cannot see anything obvious apart from rain water sitting in the arches in both the back doors , behind the outer door seal and in front of the inner seal. Doors look tight fitting from the outside and seals are intact so no idea where it's coming from.
Assume you mean on the flat door sill section below the rear door opening?

Some of the water that runs down the rear quarter panel when it rains and when you wash your car is likely to run through the panel gap between the leading edge of the lower rear quarter panel and the trailing edge of the rear door panel and settle on the rear door sill. I get this on my previous generation Polo GTI, but the rubber seal around the door opening should prevent it from entering the cabin.

Cabin condensation levels do seem to vary from one car to another. I’ve never had any condensation problems with my car, or the previous three VW’s I’ve owned. I have always run the air con 24/7 and very rarely carry damp clothing or wet umbrellas in the car.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am I have always run the air con 24/7 and very rarely carry damp clothing or wet umbrellas in the car.
But some on here claim the aircon doesn't work under a certain temperature.
So it can't be having any effect.
Whether this is correct or not, I don't know, but it is the least effectual aircon I've ever had in terms of condensation.
Switch the aircon on in my wife's Sportage and you can see the mist lifting instantly.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:50 am
SRGTD wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am I have always run the air con 24/7 and very rarely carry damp clothing or wet umbrellas in the car.
But some on here claim the aircon doesn't work under a certain temperature.
So it can't be having any effect.
Whether this is correct or not, I don't know, but it is the least effectual aircon I've ever had in terms of condensation.
Switch the aircon on in my wife's Sportage and you can see the mist lifting instantly.
Yes, the jury seems to be out on that one. Maybe if the cooling effect doesn’t work, perhaps the dehumidifying effect still does? Just saying, I always keep my air con on and haven’t ever had any issues with cabin condensation.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 am Yes, the jury seems to be out on that one. Maybe if the cooling effect doesn’t work, perhaps the dehumidifying effect still does? Just saying, I always keep my air con on and haven’t ever had any issues with cabin condensation.
Condensation once you're up and running isn't an issue.
It's condensation after it's been parked for a while, especially overnight.
In that respect, you or I both running with the aircon on is irrelevant and having no positive effect.