2018 Polo New Tyres?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
p0l0m4n
New
Drives: 2018 mk6 2.0 litre vw polo

2018 Polo New Tyres?

Post by p0l0m4n »

Hi all, looking for some recommendations on some new tyres for my Polo. I've had a look at ASDA's prices, which seem to include fitting and vat, and I've been provided with these recommendations by the website:

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/215-45-17?s ... d_index=87

I was just wondering, has anyone got any experience with GoodyearEagle F1 Asymmetric 3215/45R17 87Y tyres or ContinentalPremium Contact 6215/45R17 87Y tyres? I would be more than interested to hear what you people have to say about these tyres, and which ones out of the two you think I should go for.

Cheers :twisted:
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: 2018 Polo New Tyres?

Post by Andy Beats »

Normally I'd go for best wet grip, but they're both A rated - so we can forget that.
It comes down to what you value more, economy or noise?
The Continentals are better on economy (C rated) but considerably noisier than the Michelins.
At the same time, the increase in economy going from an E to a C tyre is minimal (only 7% diference between an A and E rated tyre)
So the noise would probably bug me more than any miniscule gain in MPG.
So I'd go for the Goodyears, cheaper and quieter. :D
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Once the current tyres have worn out on my GTI+, i'll be putting on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Good wet and dry grip and wear well too. Maybe not the most eco tyre but then it is a GTI after all so deserves something a bit more sport orientated.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Dan34 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm Once the current tyres have worn out on my GTI+, i'll be putting on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Good wet and dry grip and wear well too. Maybe not the most eco tyre but then it is a GTI after all so deserves something a bit more sport orientated.
Michelin Pilot sports were standard fit on my Alpina D3.
They were 265/30x19 they were £210 each and they were on permanent back order.
Alpina owners sometimes being a bit anal, many just refused to deviate from OE and would insist on those only.
I couldn't give a stuff, I replaced mine with Falkens and the difference in wet grip especially was astonishing.
It had 210bhp and 450nm, it would wheelspin easily in the wet on the Michelins.
Hell, the back end would sometimes break away off the throttle, as you were turning in.
Not with the Falkens, they were miles better.
Put me off Pilot sports for life.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

It's worth pointing out that the EU tyre ratings are decidedly suspect. The noise is measured using an instrument placed OUTSIDE of the car, and measured while the car drives past. So a tyre that threw the noise upwards, rather than sideways, would score well. And there is no control over the car, so the car might have wheel arches that absorb sound, or throw it sideways, affecting the results. Similarly grip is only in a straight line and not transverse. In other words, tyres with a high grip rating could be useless on bends. That's why I stick to well known brands, and look at magazine tests and user reviews.

I'm going for Michelin Cross Climates or similar come the time to swap tyres.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Dan34 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm Once the current tyres have worn out on my GTI+, i'll be putting on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Good wet and dry grip and wear well too. Maybe not the most eco tyre but then it is a GTI after all so deserves something a bit more sport orientated.
Michelin Pilot sports were standard fit on my Alpina D3.
They were 265/30x19 they were £210 each and they were on permanent back order.
Alpina owners sometimes being a bit anal, many just refused to deviate from OE and would insist on those only.
I couldn't give a stuff, I replaced mine with Falkens and the difference in wet grip especially was astonishing.
It had 210bhp and 450nm, it would wheelspin easily in the wet on the Michelins.
Hell, the back end would sometimes break away off the throttle, as you were turning in.
Not with the Falkens, they were miles better.
Put me off Pilot sports for life.
Not sure what versions they would have been but the 4's are very good from what I've experienced. Had them on my old Golf R which was around 350bhp and they never caused any issue. Got a bit slippy in sub 5 degree's in the wet but that was only when they were getting very close to the wear bars so any tyre would get like that. I think certain tyres do suit certain cars more than others though. A lot of people rave about Eagle F1's but I never really got on with them but that was on an integra type R so maybe not the best platform to use them on!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 pm Similarly grip is only in a straight line and not transverse. In other words, tyres with a high grip rating could be useless on bends. That's why I stick to well known brands, and look at magazine tests and user reviews.

I'm going for Michelin Cross Climates or similar come the time to swap tyres.
This is true, tyres basically have three grip aspects to them.
Acceleration, cornering, braking.
I've had tyres before that were wonderful in one area, dreadful in another.
I too only stick to well known brands, I once fitted 'Sunny' brand tyres to my wife's (then) Fiesta diesel and they wheelspun in third....they were binned only two days old.
I'm running cross climates right now on my Polo and they're fine.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Dan34 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm Not sure what versions they would have been but the 4's are very good from what I've experienced. Had them on my old Golf R which was around 350bhp and they never caused any issue. Got a bit slippy in sub 5 degree's in the wet but that was only when they were getting very close to the wear bars so any tyre would get like that. I think certain tyres do suit certain cars more than others though. A lot of people rave about Eagle F1's but I never really got on with them but that was on an integra type R so maybe not the best platform to use them on!
They were Pilot 2's
I realise Michelin might have improved them in the interim years, but once bitten etc.
That was my first experience of Falkens (FK452 IIRC) and they were amazing.
They came recommended from a scooby forum.