Manual GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
the-stig
New
Drives: 2018 GTI+

Manual GTI

Post by the-stig »

Just seen these pics on another forum. The owner is in the Czech Republic and has a manual gearbox.
I personally think the gearknob is awful VW!!
Attachments
609AD703-CEC6-46F4-8FE3-7867822CC23F.png
6372F0F4-6676-49E6-8C79-6033D3CD933D.png
477AF3AC-33BE-4D26-BF57-C9C966BEC891.png
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Manual GTI

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wow! That gearstick knob looks like some nasty £10 ebay aftermarket piece of junk when compared to the Golf GTI's knob:-
the-stig
New
Drives: 2018 GTI+

Post by the-stig »

It’s the same gearknob used in the the Up! GTI
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

the-stig wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:47 pm It’s the same gearknob used in the the Up! GTI
Yuck.Still debating if i'm going to change my ongoing order for GTI+ number 2 to a manual if it appears on the UK configurator. If I did, i'll be getting a Golf GTI knob and gaiter and swapping the original one out. Lucky the DSG stick doesn't have a cheapo version in the smaller models.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

daaamn Iam also from czech republic but getting mine at wednesday :) shift knob looks bad but still better than driving with dsg :D
Alkis-cze
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Alkis-cze »

Přesně tak, není to tak hrozné, jen jsem to špatně vyfotil :D
Alkis-cze
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Alkis-cze »

Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:35 am daaamn Iam also from czech republic but getting mine at wednesday :) shift knob looks bad but still better than driving with dsg :D
Ahoj, nejdou mě posílat SZ, na fejsu jsem Luboš Urban - profilovka zlatá keltská mince
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Alkis-cze wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 am
Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:35 am daaamn Iam also from czech republic but getting mine at wednesday :) shift knob looks bad but still better than driving with dsg :D
Ahoj, nejdou mě posílat SZ, na fejsu jsem Luboš Urban - profilovka zlatá keltská mince
thank you :)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:51 pm Yuck.Still debating if i'm going to change my ongoing order for GTI+ number 2 to a manual if it appears on the UK configurator. If I did, i'll be getting a Golf GTI knob and gaiter and swapping the original one out. Lucky the DSG stick doesn't have a cheapo version in the smaller models.
I think that as the gaitor shape is normally different it could be a case of get a Golf GTI knob and gaitor conbo and easing the gear knob of the Golf one and transferring it to the Polo gaitor making sure that you take it easy opening up the formed clip that holds the knob onto the gear lever - lots of people in the past have just cut the retaining clip off and used a Jubilee clip, but that will eventually cut through the gaitor - maybe even look to see if anyone is selling soft leather stitched leather gaitors on ebay and use that with the the Golf knob.

I changed what I thought was a leatherette gaitor on my wife's old 2002 9N Polo to a new soft genuine leather one bought via ebay - then discovered that the original was genuine leather but as hard/stiff as anything - ah well the new soft leather gaitor looked/felt a lot better!

Edit:- for any/all you GTI owners out there, I blundered onto a website that sold socks for car enthusiasts and one version was in "VW GTI Tartan" !
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've changed out a gearknob and skirt before. The Scirocco had a cheap and nasty gearknob in all guises but the R version (which is quite similar to the Golf GTI stick except smooth and carbon fibre stitched on the ball rather than dimpled but still clamped in that chrome clasp). Loads of people (me included) bought one and swapped out the standard one. The centre console bezel is in 2 parts, clamping the gaiter skirt. The skirt will usually just clamp into the other bezel. If not, there's a clamping ring holding the skirt to the knob which can be pulled off with pliers to go onto your existing skirt on your own car.

If you do buy a Golf GTI knob and gaiter - make sure you buy the GTI one (red stitching on the skirt and red ring on the knob) and not the GTD (Silver stitching and silver ring).
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Irrelevant to the topic, but has anyone (or everyone) been plagued by tons of Google generated ads on this forum over the last few days?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

No, not on this forum, but on the Skoda one!

Interesting, one person finds it happening on one forum, and another only finds it happening on another!!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, yes now on this forum as well!!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:48 pm Irrelevant to the topic, but has anyone (or everyone) been plagued by tons of Google generated ads on this forum over the last few days?
RUM4MO wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 pm Okay, yes now on this forum as well!!
I’m seeing them as well! 😠
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

grudgey wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:06 pm Bring back the golf ball gear knob from the Golf MK1.
nah how about shift knob from audi a1 or s1 :D