Front Assist?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Front Assist?

Post by Andy Beats »

The 'rear assist' was a pain again the other night, constantly bleeping on the back left corner in slow moving traffic.
God knows what it was kicking off at, the car behind wasn't close or situated to the left of me.
I reckon I press the screen more to get rid of the car/parking/radar diagram than anything else.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 pm The 'rear assist' was a pain again the other night, constantly bleeping on the back left corner in slow moving traffic.
God knows what it was kicking off at, the car behind wasn't close or situated to the left of me.
I reckon I press the screen more to get rid of the car/parking/radar diagram than anything else.
It shouldn't come on at all if you're not engaging reverse, surely? Otherwise it's purpose would be to warn you that you're about to get hit.

Front parking assist self activation in slow moving trafficis the worst thing about my car. You can turn it off, but have to do so every ignition cycle - why VW?

You turn it off on the Golf and it stays off.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 pm It shouldn't come on at all if you're not engaging reverse, surely? Otherwise it's purpose would be to warn you that you're about to get hit.
i think this is precisely what it's designed to do, warn you you're about to get hit.
It's not to be confused with the rear parking sensors, that's a different type of beep.
Definitely wasn't in reverse, was crawling in first gear and the car behind wasn't too close.
If it was I'd have expected the 'whole' back of the car to show in the diagram, but it was definitely just the back left corner.
God knows what it thought it was seeing. :roll:
If this whole front and rear system had a dedicated fuse, I'd pull it, I've honestly never come across such a bad system of any type in any car.
I mean, Jesus christ, it's now slammed the brakes on for me going forward and backward when there was no good reason....what the actual f...... :evil:
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Try looking at the advantage as well - your insurance is cheaper.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

joe6 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm Try looking at the advantage as well - your insurance is cheaper.
Really don't care. happily pay more premium not to have this horrifically bad feature.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Not had an issue with front assist on mine yet really, it's come on once of its own accord in 8k miles. Sometimes I get the occasional sensor going off in the traffic but its very rare, but the radar situated on the front VW badge area doesn't give me any grief. I'd say yours is defective if its occurring frequently.
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

Here's a scenario that worries me with front assist. Im driving down a country 60 limit 'A' road then enter a 30 limit and decide to obey the speed limit. Bert behind me decides he would like to go faster and so tailgates me. Then a fox runs out in front of me. Front assist slams on the anchors and Bert hits me very hard from behind. So whos fault was that? And do I really need front assist to pay attention for me?
Oh by the way I have had the brakes slam on (abs and all) for no reason at 50 mph on one occasion with nothing in front of me only low direct sunlight and thankfully nothing behind ... worrying!
Last edited by johnparker on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

johnparker wrote:Here's a scenario that worries me with front assist. Im driving down a country 60 limit 'A' road then enter a 30 limit and decide to obey the speed limit. Bert behind me decides he would like to go faster and so tailgates me. Then a fox runs out in front of me. Front assist slams on the anchors and Bert hits me very hard from behind. So whos fault was that? And do I really need front assist to pay attention for me?
Oh by the way I have had the brakes slam on (abs and all) only on one occasion with nothing in front of me only low direct sunlight and thankfully nothing behind ... worrying!
I can't imagine it anchoring up over a fox, due to the Polo's not being equipped with animal detection. But as you have, mine has activated for no apparent reason before.

I'd guess they'd blame the car behind since technically they rear ended you, unless they can prove otherwise.

The trucks which are fitted with these systems offer a timeline of events occurring down to the millisecond. Beings that the AEBS triggered it would store it as an event; therefore if there was a claim against you VW should be able to pull up that very event from the cars ECU. Of course this is relying that VW will take the blame, likely not.

It does seem to be a very grey area at the moment, obviously because they do trigger on their own, and some people will use it as an excuse for brake checking...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If someone tailgates you and you have to brake or the car brakes, it is absolutely their fault for not leaving enough of a gap to brake and avoid the collision.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 pm and some people will use it as an excuse for brake checking...
That's another point that occurred to me about it braking for you.
Do the brake lights come on when it gives the little warning dab of the brakes? (bear in mind it's not a gentle dab of the brakes, it's a full blown stamp on the brakes enough to lock the wheels)
And even if the person behind you isn't tailgating, there's always the possibility they could construe a brief slam of the brakes, which you had no part in, as an aggressive act.
Simplest answer is, the car shouldn't ever apply the brakes for you....ever. :cry:
IMO if you're ever in a scenario where the car needs to apply the brakes for you, there is something seriously wrong with your driving/observational skills.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Had to suffer a yellow warning light all weekend
"front radar vision compromised" or some such crap.,
Really doesn't much much in the way of snow to get this warning up at all.... :cry:
Just some gentle sleet has it 'blocked'
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:Had to suffer a yellow warning light all weekend
"front radar vision compromised" or some such crap.,
Really doesn't much much in the way of snow to get this warning up at all.... :cry:
Just some gentle sleet has it 'blocked'
I'd rather this than even more unnecessary braking events.

I've had this quite a few times in heavy rain.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 am
I've had this quite a few times in heavy rain.
My concern is that the display telling me what the error was either didn't display at all, or was displayed so briefly I missed it.
So I had to go into 'vehicle status' to find out what the hell was going on.
If my wife were driving, no doubt I'd have got a worried phone call.

This car seems determined to make me worry about my wife driving it..... :cry:
She really will not cope with accidental triggering of the anti-collision, or warnings of any kind.
It'll happen once with her and then she'll flat refuse to drive it ever again.
She refused to drive my Mini when it was fitted with runflats, because she felt the steering was being "pulled out of her hands" (tramlining)
When that was cured by changing to normal tyres, it took ages for me to convince her to drive it again.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
Adam_013 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 pm and some people will use it as an excuse for brake checking...
That's another point that occurred to me about it braking for you.
Do the brake lights come on when it gives the little warning dab of the brakes? (bear in mind it's not a gentle dab of the brakes, it's a full blown stamp on the brakes enough to lock the wheels)
And even if the person behind you isn't tailgating, there's always the possibility they could construe a brief slam of the brakes, which you had no part in, as an aggressive act.
Simplest answer is, the car shouldn't ever apply the brakes for you....ever. :cry:
IMO if you're ever in a scenario where the car needs to apply the brakes for you, there is something seriously wrong with your driving/observational skills.
Amen!

I will probably get ill spirited comments for this, but here goes anyway.

Having driven a Polo 6C with Front Assist for the past 20.000miles I've had it react maybe twice in that period. Now of cause there's a chance that it's become more sensitive in the newest gen. Polo.

But I can't help but think the problem isn't the car, but something sitting about 40cm behind the steering wheel. If you keep a (in my opinion) normal safe distance of about a car length in close traffic, and 2-3 car lengths at 30mph, then the system will never bother you.

If you tailgate, yes it will react, but then you f***ing had it coming anyways, nothing worse than people that can't respect simple rules as keeping a safe distance.
Last edited by phillos on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

phillos wrote:I will probably get ill spirited comments for this, but here goes anyway.

Having driven a Polo 6C with Front Assist for the past 20.000miles I've had it react maybe twice in that period. Now of cause there's a chance that it's become more sensitive in the newest gen. Polo.

But I can't help but think the problem isn't the car, but something sitting about 40cm behind the steering wheel. If you keep a (in my opinion) normal safe distance of about a car length in close traffic, and 2-3 car lengths at 30mph, then the system will never bother you.

If you tailgate, yes it will react, but then you f***ing had it coming anyways, nothing worse than people that can't respect simple rules as keeping a safe distance.
As a rule yes, but I've had a few times it trigger on an obstacle in the road... Mainly traffic islands and even straw on the road.