Front Assist?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Front Assist?

Post by silverhairs »

I've found out that my Polo has front assist. Just a couple of questions about it?
Do any other members use it?
Is it safe to use, how close does it warn you, as I understand you get a warning sound, or does it brake for you as well?
How do I turn it on, I understand it's on the left hand side of the steering wheel, what's the sequence you have to go through?

Many thanks
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Front Assist?

Post by Andy Beats »

Default is on.
it's awful, I hate it and would love to switch it off permanently.
You can disable it for every journey if you like, but you then get it showing an orange warning light on the dash.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I know it works under 17 MPH (so they say), but how do I try it out, how close do I have to get before it works?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

What it's supposed to do is:

1. Give a warning sound
2. If no steering or brake inputs are made, it then applies the brakes (enough to lock the wheels) very briefly.
3. If still no steering or brake inputs, it will apply the brakes fully.

In reality, I've had several occasions where it's slammed the brakes on briefly with no prior warning at all, making everyone in the car jump.
Seriously, I hate it that much that if I'd known what it was like and my car had it, I'd have continued to the Citroen/Nissan dealer.
I now drive my car far slower than I'd like, just to avoid it thinking I'm going to have a collision all the time.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:21 pm I know it works under 17 MPH (so they say), but how do I try it out, how close do I have to get before it works?
To see if it works, just come up behind another car quite quickly.
Not stupid quick, but quick enough that you'd have to do harder than gentle braking.
That should trigger the sound at least.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

If you were parking your car against a brick wall, how close do you get before it gives a warning that your too close?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

What catches mine out, every damn day, is a kink in the road on my way to work.
You have to take a brief turn to the left, which the car thinks is me deliberately heading towards a wall.
I now have to basically crawl around that kink, or see if there's no traffic coming the other way to 'straight line' it and avoid the car thinking I'm heading for the wall.
Every....day.......
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:25 pm If you were parking your car against a brick wall, how close do you get before it gives a warning that your too close?
Mine gives me a warning as I turn into my drive, as it sees a little BT junction box at the edge of my drive, and another warning around 2 feet before the garage door.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I'll have to test it out and get the Mrs to stand there and see how close I get to her? :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Bear in mind it does the sides of the car as well.
Which is why when I was reversing down a narrow archway at my friend's flat, it slammed the brakes on for me.
I was going at walking speed at the time, it's not as if I was flat out in reverse, and I wasn't closer at one side than the other.
It made me jump and made people in the car think I had actually hit the side of the arch.
It's unpredictable and utterly crap.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Changing the subject, Now I have my Polo, and I'm going to change the bulbs, I see what you mean when you said things are a bit tight behind the headlight units. I've got to look at the pictures and find out which two torque screws to undo, to enable you to pull the unit out, I'm going for the "Osram cool blue intense 4200K bulbs
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Thanks for your advice Andy, It's a bit like when I have my adaptive cruise on, and the car in front is turning left, although the road widens out a bit, if the car in front crawls round the corner and I have plenty of room to overtake, the system still see's him and will not pick up till he's out of range.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:Bear in mind it does the sides of the car as well.
Which is why when I was reversing down a narrow archway at my friend's flat, it slammed the brakes on for me.
I was going at walking speed at the time, it's not as if I was flat out in reverse, and I wasn't closer at one side than the other.
It made me jump and made people in the car think I had actually hit the side of the arch.
It's unpredictable and utterly crap.
Only if the sensors are fitted... I don't have any sensors, so only front assist for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

I’ve turned off as much of the front assist system as allowed in the menu. I’ve not had any of the warnings / self braking trigger since so all good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:21 pm What it's supposed to do is:

1. Give a warning sound
2. If no steering or brake inputs are made, it then applies the brakes (enough to lock the wheels) very briefly.
3. If still no steering or brake inputs, it will apply the brakes fully.

In reality, I've had several occasions where it's slammed the brakes on briefly with no prior warning at all, making everyone in the car jump.
Seriously, I hate it that much that if I'd known what it was like and my car had it, I'd have continued to the Citroen/Nissan dealer.
I now drive my car far slower than I'd like, just to avoid it thinking I'm going to have a collision all the time.
It happed to me even while slowly breaking before crossroad. Almost had heartattack :evil: