Front Assist?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Re: Front Assist?

Post by jackois »

I find it useful when driving on motorways as a reminder to keep a decent gap from the car in front. The two cars with an exclamation mark between them works for me.

It's easy to creep closer and closer at speed to the point you don't have that braking space to stop safely. The downside in motorway driving is that others see it as leaving a gap for them to change lane.

I must admit that the few times it's applied the brakes I've felt that I was braking enough to stop safely and it decided I wasn't and panic braked for me. I have also have had the sensor fool itself occasionally. Due to this, I've taken to wiping the VW badge if I have to clean the headlights for any reason.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Chungster wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:59 pm I’ve turned off as much of the front assist system as allowed in the menu. I’ve not had any of the warnings / self braking trigger since so all good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you explain what you mean by this?
As far as I can see, I can only change how early the system warns me (early / middle / late)
I can't see options to switch parts of it off, only switching it all off, which has to be done every journey and leads to a warning light on the dash.
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

Can’t remember now - I just went into the vehicle settings / driver assistance menus and switched off as much as I could [emoji2] left the Front Assist sensitivity on medium though but it’s not triggered as much as it did in the 1st 2 weeks of driving the car. So the changes must have done something.

AliP95
New
Drives: SEL 115 Reef Blue

Post by AliP95 »

When front assist has triggered my brakes it felt and sounded like I had just beached the car on something hard. Is this the experience you lot have had?
It's so harsh it makes me feel as though it must be damaging the car each time!

Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

AliP95 wrote:When front assist has triggered my brakes it felt and sounded like I had just beached the car on something hard. Is this the experience you lot have had?
It's so harsh it makes me feel as though it must be damaging the car each time!

Mine does this too... Not to sure what it is, because it doesn't sound / feel like ABS. Its different from when I've had to anchor on myself. I assume it's meant too...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The horrible noise is normal.
If you stamped on the brake pedal, you'd get the same noise.
It's just the ABS kicking in.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

grudgey wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am TBH im going off driver aids/technology.

Bring back seat of pants driving pleasure where the driver is responsible for decision making and ultimate skill.

Have we become too reliant on technology?
Aid are definitely a double-edged sword.
Whilst they improve safety, they also encourage people to drive far faster than they used to.
All sorts of people drive 'fast' these days, I reckon many without any skills needed to sort it out of it goes pear-shaped.
I preferred the days when driving fast meant you actually had to know about car control.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Two more incidents with this damn 'assist'.
Wednesday night, heavy(ish) sleety rain, the front assist decided to start pinging and throwing up "vision impaired" warnings on the dash and centre screen.
It was far from white-out conditions.
Yesterday, reversing out of the drive, it decided to slam the brakes on again (second time it's done this).
Now, why would front assist slam the brakes on for me in reverse....?
I can only assume it's the side sensors thinking I'm too close to whatever is at the side of me as I swing the nose round.

Quite honestly, this front assist is the single most annoying and intrusive feature I've had on any car and it's completely spoiling my enjoyment of it. :evil:
I find myself driving differently than I ever have before, just to keep the front assist 'happy'
For example, cutting a right hand bend on my way to work every morning because if I stick to the proper line the front assist thinks I'm going to drive into a wall.
TBH if the car wasn't on PCP I'd probably just get rid of it and get a car without any such stupid system. :cry:
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Mine slammed the brakes on while reversing out of the drive the other day, scarred the life out of me but I was going quite quick and was close to the fence at the time. I had no idea it did it in reverse as well as going forwards, it’s the first time it’s activated in either direction.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Cadwest wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 am Mine slammed the brakes on while reversing out of the drive the other day, scarred the life out of me but I was going quite quick and was close to the fence at the time. I had no idea it did it in reverse as well as going forwards, it’s the first time it’s activated in either direction.
It does scare the life out of you, your first instinct is that you've hit something.
Utter pain in the ass feature, I'd literally pay hundreds to have it permanently disabled (and no warning light).
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Cadwest wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 am Mine slammed the brakes on while reversing out of the drive the other day, scarred the life out of me but I was going quite quick and was close to the fence at the time. I had no idea it did it in reverse as well as going forwards, it’s the first time it’s activated in either direction.
It does scare the life out of you, your first instinct is that you've hit something.
Utter pain in the ass feature, I'd literally pay hundreds to have it permanently disabled (and no warning light).
I second this [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

broberty
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by broberty »

Doesn't disabling the traction control turn it off automatically? :lol:
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

when reversing, manoeuvre braking is the one that slams on your brakes if your parking sensors find that you are too close to something. should be in the parking settings in the infotainment if you want to switch that off.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

john-k wrote:when reversing, manoeuvre braking is the one that slams on your brakes if your parking sensors find that you are too close to something. should be in the parking settings in the infotainment if you want to switch that off.
Is this the cross traffic alert thingy (very technical term, I know) ?
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

There is also Rear traffic Alert which comes with the 'Blind spot detection with rear traffic alert' option.
Radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots. The system also sees fast approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes with visual warning via light in door mirror housing. Rear traffic alert monitors the area to the rear and both sides when in reverse gear. If it detects a vehicle moving towards you, the system provides audio and visual warnings and will initiate braking if necessary [\QUOTE]