Front Assist?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: Front Assist?

Post by phillos »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:58 am
phillos wrote:I will probably get ill spirited comments for this, but here goes anyway.

Having driven a Polo 6C with Front Assist for the past 20.000miles I've had it react maybe twice in that period. Now of cause there's a chance that it's become more sensitive in the newest gen. Polo.

But I can't help but think the problem isn't the car, but something sitting about 40cm behind the steering wheel. If you keep a (in my opinion) normal safe distance of about a car length in close traffic, and 2-3 car lengths at 30mph, then the system will never bother you.

If you tailgate, yes it will react, but then you f***ing had it coming anyways, nothing worse than people that can't respect simple rules as keeping a safe distance.
As a rule yes, but I've had a few times it trigger on an obstacle in the road... Mainly traffic islands and even straw on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Roger, that is of cause not exactly expected behaviour.

Come to think of it, one of the times mine triggered it was just before a corner with a cyclist in front. Car decided to give me the sound and warning brake tap.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine most triggers on a wall-lined corner on the way to work.
The way the road is, there's a kink that means I have to make a movement of the wheel to the left.
The car takes that as me deliberately driving towards the wall and applies the warning/brakes. :shock:
The only way to avoid it is to switch the front-assist off, go really slowly, or wait until the opposite lane is clear so I can 'straight-line' the corner and avoid the left movement of the wheel that the car thinks is me committing suicide.... :lol:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

For those who don’t like front assist, it looks as if there’s more to come;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

Front Assist beeps on me sometimes, especially in traffic when someone changes lane to mine. It never braked for me, I have default settings. I don't have any issues with it and even though I've never been in a situation when I'd need such assistance, I'd rather have it.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 am For those who don’t like front assist, it looks as if there’s more to come;

Just reinforces my thoughts that I'll soon only buy older cars that don't have all this 'assistance' crap on them.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:02 am
SRGTD wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 am For those who don’t like front assist, it looks as if there’s more to come;

Just reinforces my thoughts that I'll soon only buy older cars that don't have all this 'assistance' crap on them.
Sorry - i had to :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Ford t.jpg
Ford t.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
coastline88
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95PS

Post by coastline88 »

Only had my Polo for a few weeks and no sign of front assist engaging until today. Had the little distance ! Exclamation icon pop up a few times but nothing else.

So today I was driving the Wife back after a late lunch. Winding road but traffic moving quickly. I guess I was day dreaming a bit and got distracted by something at the side of the road. Next thing all he'll breaks loose. Simultaneously I hear my Wife shout, a loud beep from the dash , which flashes some warning and the car hits the brakes hard just as I look up to see the line of traffic I was following at a fair clip had come to a complere standstill. All a bit of a blur and to be honest I laughed it off at the time, but I think it saved me from a pretty ugly end to a pleasant afternoon.

Should you need this kind of assistance? Perhaps not. Was I driving like a dick today? Absolutely. Only excuse was a late night pickup of said wife from the airport but hey I just wasn't looking in the right direction.

I'm sure the people who have had false triggers have every right to dislike front assist but I thought I'd just add a positive experience.

Hopefully the bloody thing never goes off again.

If I was to be ultra picky the beep and dash Icon drew my eyes down to the dash when I really needed them to be drawn back to the road. Guess you'd need some sort if HUD to sort that.

Anyway +1 for front assist from today's muppet behind the wheel winner.