Gearbox too much agressive - is there a way to reset it?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
claudiohi
New
Drives: Polo TSI Highline

Gearbox too much agressive - is there a way to reset it?

Post by claudiohi »

My Polo automatic TSI is working fine, except the gearbox which changes from 3rd to 2nd suddenly. My question is: is there a way to reset the gearbox controller to allow it to relearn the driver's behaviors?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: Gearbox too much agressive - is there a way to reset it?

Post by Dan34 »

Yes you can do a DSG reset via VCDS, think it can be done in OBDeleven too.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

claudiohi wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:24 pm My Polo automatic TSI is working fine, except the gearbox which changes from 3rd to 2nd suddenly. My question is: is there a way to reset the gearbox controller to allow it to relearn the driver's behaviors?
In what context are we talking about going 3rd to 2nd?

Low throttle gradual deceleration, or high throttle drop in gear to accelerate?

My only complaint in going 3rd to 2nd in the GTI+ is that if you put your foot down at 45mph, the car will knock down from 6th to 2nd (through the gears) to 5800rpm for the sake of getting to 6200rpm and then going to 3rd. It spends more time going to 2nd and back to 3rd than it spends accelerating in 2nd - highly annoying and inefficient for acceleration.

The actual changes I find are soft - perhaps too soft for a performance model - the gear seems partially engaged and then feathered in to full engagement over about what seems like a second. It seems that the DSG box values self protection over performance (perhaps not in launch control - maybe that's why you only seem able to do it a limited number of times I haven't tried it myself).

On the Golf R forum, those who picked DSG used to bang on about the 0.2s shorter 0-62mph times, but that was only ever the case if they used launch control, all other times they were no quicker than a manual due to this gear feathering in.

Perhaps the 7 speed dry clutch DSG has a slightly different characteristic in changing gear tgan the 6 speed wet clutch that the Polo GTI has?

The DSG learning your driving style is a myth - there are underlying rules it always follows - primarily self protection and economy. It is always looking to change up for economy by lining up 4th rather than 2nd when you're in 3rd, unless you've given it reason to think you want 2nd by putting your foot down etc.

You end up adapting to the box when you work out its logic, not the other way around.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I don't know about 'self protection' (as in the gearbox looking after itself), but DSG certainly looks after the engine too much.
It changes up near the red line way too early for my liking.
When my 2.0tdi DSG A3 went in for something-or-other,I got a loaner manual model and couldn't believe how much more flexible the engine felt.
The pre-defined lower and upper rev limits on the DSG effectively rob the driver of revs.
When you've only got an effective rev band from maybe 1800-4500rpm, being robbed of even a few hundred revs can make a big difference.