Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Vonbek2004 »

johnpolo2 wrote:Mine came back from the dealership last week after the problem had returned and I'd booked it back in.
It wasn't a total waste of time because I was having the voice control activated as I'd previously had it.
However re the brake noise I've been told that VW are aware of the issue but as of yet they have no solution to the problem. As soon as they do I'll be informed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hi johnpolo2
I have had the reversing noise for the last year. Bought the car April 2019 and still not joys to when the car will be fixed.

There has been a long saga about it all. Some of it you may already be aware off. Personally I think VW have been terrible in sorting the issue our especially considering the cost of the Polo GTi's

It's now come to the point where I have contacted my finance company and expressed to them an ultimatum of either providing me dates of when VW plan to fix it, replace the car one without the fault or take it back at a full refund.

I feel I have been patient enough with it all but as it's in the hands of the finance company I'm not hopeful.

I guess the only benefit is that VW technical/factory admit that there is a fault.

Stuart.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Yes Stuart this saga reminds me of my new 2010 GTI. Many of us ended up having new engines under warranty because of excessive oil use. The back and forth to the dealership was beyond ridiculous.
This problem is a little more intermittent and at the moment I can tolerate it. Let's see if it's fixable. Previous software update and new brakes have not worked for me.
I did post previously that a friend had similar brake noise issues with a new Range Rover Evoque around 2 years ago, she successfully rejected the car.

OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

In my case I've just learnt to live with it.
Consider it an extra feature included for free :P (very much tongue in cheek)
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Could be considered an audible safety feature as no one is going to stand in the way of us reverse parking. [emoji16]

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

johnpolo2 wrote:Yes Stuart this saga reminds me of my new 2010 GTI. Many of us ended up having new engines under warranty because of excessive oil use. The back and forth to the dealership was beyond ridiculous.
This problem is a little more intermittent and at the moment I can tolerate it. Let's see if it's fixable. Previous software update and new brakes have not worked for me.
I did post previously that a friend had similar brake noise issues with a new Range Rover Evoque around 2 years ago, she successfully rejected the car.

Yes it's saddening really as I like the car but i refuse to pay for something that sounds the way it does.

The car has probably been in the garage more than I drove it last year.

I'll keep the group updated with the outcome..

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

A quick internet search reveals this issue isn’t unique to the Polo or VW. That doesn’t make it right though.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

SRGTD wrote:A quick internet search reveals this issue isn’t unique to the Polo or VW. That doesn’t make it right though.
SRGTD
Yes I have researched extensively and saw the same as you on the net and agree with you that it don't make it right..

I personally think VW have been very slow in resolving the issue, nearly a year I've had the issue not sure on others.

I think what bugs me the most is the cost of the car, not something I'd expect to hear so early in ownership.

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

My GTI+ has recently started doing this. Started at at about 3000 miles; total silence up until then. Only does it for a few seconds, first thing in the morning when reversing off the drive. Some mornings are louder than others. Sometimes a low frequency resonance (the mooing) and sometimes a high frequency resonance. I had wondered if was due to a thin layer of rust building up on the disc surface overnight. I don’t think it’s that though as some mornings the disc is free of this and still generates resonant noises. I’ve been living with it. I plan to mention it when car goes in for its first service. Hopefully by then VW would have sorted it.
Anyone know if brake pad shims are still used? When I was more active repairing cars, many years ago, disc brakes always had anti-squeal shims fitted between the piston and pad, that you generally smothered in copper slip grease. These were designed to stop this.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The use of copper grease used to be considered okay, but now it has been displaced by, or replaced by ceramic compounds for a few reasons.

Most brake pads, if they confirm completely with the original VW Group, come with anti squeal coating/padding fitted to them, so no separate shims/tapered shims, probably to make assembly/service easier/quicker so cheaper.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Nodster wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:24 pm A few of us had a fix. Pads and software update. All fine for awhile then it returns.

Darn. :( Pads I suppose is a good shout, as if they are perhaps not releasing fully and the material is causing it but it sounds more like a resonance issue for the sound being made (i.e not a squeak or a squeal usually associated with a pad material). I wonder if something isn't lubricated correctly and therefore there is vibration causing the noise. I have some Brembo B-Quiet lube (btw amazing stuff) but I just don't see why I should bother taking it all apart to re-grease when the garage should. I might ask them.

Thanks.
Finally booked in, Monday 27th. Let's see how this goes. I'm not holding out much hope. If it comes back the same I'll strip it down myself. Interestingly I've noticed that when softly braking in reverse, if I fully release the brake, the noise continues for a few seconds later. As if, something is still making contact or slow to fully release. But why only in reverse? :|
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

[/quote]

Finally booked in, Monday 27th. Let's see how this goes. I'm not holding out much hope. If it comes back the same I'll strip it down myself. Interestingly I've noticed that when softly braking in reverse, if I fully release the brake, the noise continues for a few seconds later. As if, something is still making contact or slow to fully release. But why only in reverse? :|
[/quote]

Mine does this in reverse and also going forward after reversing. I think it's just not releasing enough to clear the discs, causing the pads to glaze. Pads seems fine when new but the noise starts afterwards, time for the pads to glaze as they are constantly in contact with the discs.
Unske
New
Drives: Vw poll

Post by Unske »

https://youtu.be/YohXCATsdYw Mine started doing this noise after a few months. It only does this when I'm cruising below 10 km/h . Not sure where it's coming from ...
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Welcome to the club, and a very exclusive one too.

deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

Second time my car went in and they haven’t been able to fix it. I’ve raised a complaint with VW Customer Service and have been assigned a case manager who’s investigating. Worth calling up and asking for them to investigate. I’m on PCP so not happy paying monthly for a brand new car that’s playing up...
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

deanjesper wrote:Second time my car went in and they haven’t been able to fix it. I’ve raised a complaint with VW Customer Service and have been assigned a case manager who’s investigating. Worth calling up and asking for them to investigate. I’m on PCP so not happy paying monthly for a brand new car that’s playing up...
I'm in exactly the same process at the moment. It's a long winded process though. Not happy about the money I'm paying a month and having that noise.

I had to get two different garages to investigate, raise a complaint with VW customer complaints and then raise another complaint with Volkswagen financial services.