Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hi all.
I thought I’d post a message here as it’s been a while. It’s great to hear that VW has a fix in place and hopefully no mooing noises come back again for owners. I parted with my GTI around this time last year, which was taken back by VW. I loved the car but didn’t appreciate the lack of support by VW on a brand new car (like deanjesper)

I’ve now got myself a Seat Ibiza 1.0tsi excellence Lux which has the same kinda spec as my GTI+ had but without the expense of a bigger engine. Do I miss the overtaking power, most definitely but I have to be realistic for the journeys I’m completing.

The Ibiza handles well on the motorway too, given it’s only 1.0. I chose a manual over DSG and that was on the basis that because it’s a small engine I wanted to be in control of the gears, downside to that, I’m forever changing gear because of the ratio setup.

Happy motoring all..
BigChrisG
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by BigChrisG »

I’ve had my GTI from new since 2018. I’ve been into the stealer 4 times with this break ‘mooing’ in reverse issue including at every service. I always felt fobbed off by them. Twice they said they had adjusted the breaks to no avail. The last time I had to show them a video of the noise. They said they had made a software update to sort the issue which had done nothing. Frustrating. Anyway great thread and note the recent fix. I’ll give the stealer a call!
misty
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by misty »

Update from VW UK parts (they are waiting on 2 bolts to attach the weights) are delayed again so will not be at my local dealership until mid to late June! :roll:
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

That’s a joke. :x
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

misty wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:15 am Update from VW UK parts (they are waiting on 2 bolts to attach the weights) are delayed again so will not be at my local dealership until mid to late June! :roll:
I have my car booked for service/MOT in July so hopefully those parts will arrive on time for them to be fitted, I told them about it when I booked in and gave the part numbers listed in this thread, hopefully yours will arrive sooner than expected.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Wish I could update on the issue but to no surprise when I took the car in for a service this morning I was told the parts are on back order. :roll:

Looking like they won't be in until the 9th of June now.

The wait goes on...
misty
New

Post by misty »

I've just had a call from my local dealership - parts are not expected to come in on Monday, 14 June 2021. The bolts for the weights must need master craftsmen to manufacture the amount of time they are taking, no doubt once fitted will rust in a few months :P
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

misty wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am I've just had a call from my local dealership - parts are not expected to come in on Monday, 14 June 2021. The bolts for the weights must need master craftsmen to manufacture the amount of time they are taking, no doubt once fitted will rust in a few months :P
Must be made of gold dust and smelted with boiled gypsy tears.
iRoddy
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by iRoddy »

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while, so I thought I'd update about mine.

Had my Polo GTI+ from new since July 2019.

The humming noise while reversing pretty much started upon delivery.

Year 1 service @ VW Dealership - I told them about the issues I've been experiencing:

- Humming while reversing (known issue, did some abs and DSG update, not fixed).
- Rubbing noise when close to full lock (known issue, needed some lubricant because they use plastic components now, rather than metal).
- Exhaust randomly got louder, not a good loud. A really annoying drowning hum in the boot, especially if you're at 2-3k RPMs. I was worried my catalytic converter got stolen at first. (bracket replacement, because it seized and rusted. It was at the dealership for 2 days).
- Smells like burning plastic after light usage, with radiator fans going off after a 10 mins drive.

I'm approaching year 2 now in a couple of months. Now ALL issues are BACK LOL!

- Humming noise while reversing. I NEVER LEFT!
- Rubbing noise when close to full lock. HELLO I'M BACK!
- Exhaust randomly got louder with a really annoying drowning noise. HELLO, YOU MISSED ME? I'M BACK!
- Smells like burning plastic after light usage, with radiator fans going off after a 10 mins drive. DON'T YOU DARE FORGET ABOUT ME!
- DSG feels some resistance. I drive normally, I'm averaging 14MPG in the city. I used to average 23MPG.

I feel like MK10 Polo GTI+'s have quite a few lemons from the production line. I've never experienced these before from a brand new car. I had a Golf GTD 2014 and Audi A3 2017, both from new. Not a single issue.

My lease finishes end of July this year. And I'm waiting for a Tiguan R Line to get delivered. I really feel bad to whoever ends up buying this lemon at the auction/end customer.

200 hp on a small hatchback. It was fun!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Seems like half of your issues aren't really issues...

Temporary abysmal fuel economy, plastic burning smell, engines blaring for 10.mins after you turn the engine off and exhaust droning are all symptoms of an active GPF regen going on because the particulate filter is getting full and needs to burn off the soot. Unless you're doing long high speed journeys, those symptoms are likely to last a few days - your dealership workshop should have told you that.

Specifically the fans blaring after use is because tge active regen was interrupted when you finished the journey and the car is trying to cool the GPF down now its not regenning.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

The rubbing sound on full lock is most definitely your CV boots. Mine does the same and I think most peoples will also do the same whether they know it or not. Either live with it or have them replaced (not a warranty fix).
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:50 pm The rubbing sound on full lock is most definitely your CV boots. Mine does the same and I think most peoples will also do the same whether they know it or not. Either live with it or have them replaced (not a warranty fix).
Yes, it’ll very likely be the ribs on the rubber CV boots making the noise as they’re compressed together and move apart while rotating under full lock. If it is this, then it isn’t really a fault. I’ve seen posts on other forums of owners of other cars (not Polos) experiencing the same / similar rubbing noise - sometimes described as more of a squelching type of noise.

The rear brakes noise we all know about - IMO it’s mildly annoying but as it doesn’t affect braking efficiency it doesn’t bother me. It only happens on my car after the discs have got wet (e.g. after washing the car) and the usual thin layer of rust forms on the braking surface. Other than that, my car’s brakes are quiet when reversing (maybe because I garage my car, so the discs keep dry most of the time).

I’d be interested to understand what @iRoddy’s DSG issue is; not sure what ‘DSG feels some resistance’ means.

As @monkeyhanger has said, the other items listed are characteristics of the OPF regenerating which could be down to the type of use the car is getting.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73177
iRoddy
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by iRoddy »

SRGTD wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:35 am
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:50 pm The rubbing sound on full lock is most definitely your CV boots. Mine does the same and I think most peoples will also do the same whether they know it or not. Either live with it or have them replaced (not a warranty fix).
Yes, it’ll very likely be the ribs on the rubber CV boots making the noise as they’re compressed together and move apart while rotating under full lock. If it is this, then it isn’t really a fault. I’ve seen posts on other forums of owners of other cars (not Polos) experiencing the same / similar rubbing noise - sometimes described as more of a squelching type of noise.

The rear brakes noise we all know about - IMO it’s mildly annoying but as it doesn’t affect braking efficiency it doesn’t bother me. It only happens on my car after the discs have got wet (e.g. after washing the car) and the usual thin layer of rust forms on the braking surface. Other than that, my car’s brakes are quiet when reversing (maybe because I garage my car, so the discs keep dry most of the time).

I’d be interested to understand what @iRoddy’s DSG issue is; not sure what ‘DSG feels some resistance’ means.

As @monkeyhanger has said, the other items listed are characteristics of the OPF regenerating which could be down to the type of use the car is getting.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73177
Thanks for your reply guys. The dealer didn't mention any of those things you guys said. I don't drive my car hard at all (except today, which fixed the droning noise lol).

In 'Normal' mode, my car's DSG feels like there's something holding it back when I accelerate. I live in a relatively flat area, driving at 30 mph, the car wants to rev up to 4,000 rpm before changing from 2nd to 3rd gear, which it didn't do before. The moment I lift my foot off the accelerator, it almost feels like my wife's BMW i3 regen braking. I keep checking if the handbrake is engaged, but it's not.

EDIT: Just read through that thread. Ok, it all makes sense now. I used to do around 40 miles/day before the pandemic. Ever since I started working from home, I've been doing more or less 2 miles/day! Cheers guys! Yep, driving characteristics has indeed changed!
misty
New

Post by misty »

@iRoddy - for the past year mine has also had this hesitating issue, i only drive my car for 20 ish miles twice a week in slow moving traffic / city roads. It use to be great to drive but recently the gearbox isn't very smooth and the engine can be noisy from cold. Also just like you foot of accelerator and it feels like it's holding back.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Called VW this afternoon.

Still waiting for parts. :roll: