Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by rm55mcc »

Is there a fix for this??? Or just deal with it? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:Is there a fix for this??? Or just deal with it? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently VW know about it but there is no fix for it. I've had my noise issue for close to a year now...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

This subject has now been going for 7 pages. This problem has only raised it's head with the GTI & GTI+, I've not seen any members with the 1 Ltr engine motors have these symptoms.
Now if you go back a few pages, a member did come up with the thought that it only effects the GTI & GTI+ due to larger rear disc's.
Has anybody gone into VW and expressed this thought with the dealers.
Member have taken their motors in with this problem, all seemed to have had the rear pads exchanged, but the problem slowly comes back!
I know their Polo's are still in warranty, it doesn't matter how many pads are changed, it's the enlarged discs that are the problem with harmonics.

Has any member with this problem, gone out and found if anybody also makes the same sized discs that will fit the GTI & GTI+ fitted them and see if they still moo. A slight different design of the spacers (I presume) they are ventilated will cure the problem?

If VW don't either want to help or cannot be bothered to cure this problem, you just have to do something yourself, I'd spend pounds just to get the problem fixed, if I loved the car that much. There must be somebody who race a GTI & GTI+ who have manufactured rear upgraded rear discs? It's worth a try?
The way it's going, this subject will be up too page 20.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:01 pm This subject has now been going for 7 pages. This problem has only raised it's head with the GTI & GTI+, I've not seen any members with the 1 Ltr engine motors have these symptoms.
Now if you go back a few pages, a member did come up with the thought that it only effects the GTI & GTI+ due to larger rear disc's.
Member have taken their motors in with this problem, all seemed to have had the rear pads exchanged, but the problem slowly comes back!
I know their Polo's are still in warranty, it doesn't matter how many pads are changed, it's the enlarged discs that are the problem with harmonics.

Has any member with this problem, gone out and found if anybody also makes the same sized discs that will fit the GTI & GTI+ fitted them and see if they still moo. A slight different design of the spacers (I presume) they are ventilated will cure the problem?

If VW don't either want to help or cannot be bothered to cure this problem, you just have to do something yourself, I'd spend pounds just to get the problem fixed, if I loved the car that much. There must be somebody who race a GTI & GTI+ who have manufactured rear upgraded rear discs? It's worth a try?
I'd like to do just that but since my car in under warranty with VW maintenance plan (100000KM) for 3 more years I cant touch them.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Do VW actually test drive their cars, how was it not picked up?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:14 pm Do VW actually test drive their cars, how was it not picked up?

not off a production line... well, not in the sense we think. The car is driven off the production line on to a small test track on which reverse appears not to be tested. From there they loaded on to a train/boat and shipped off to the dealers.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I'm thinking pre production. The car would have been put through it's paces. Is it just a fluke that the cars being tested over the months didn't have the problem?!

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:31 pm I'm thinking pre production. The car would have been put through it's paces. Is it just a fluke that the cars being tested over the months didn't have the problem?!

It’d be interesting to see VW’s pre-production test plan they developed for the Polo GTI / GTI+, what the testing entailed, and how many miles / km’s / hours pre-production testing were undertaken. I dare say not much test time is spent reversing! If pre-production vehicles did have the rear brakes humming / resonance (plus other issues), I’d be very surprised if all the issues identified during pre-production testing are fixed before the first cars start rolling off the production line.

There’ll no doubt be a prioritisation process for fixing identified issues, with safety-related issues getting fixed first - either before production starts, or by an early safety recall. If the humming / resonance from the rear brakes when reversing was identified during pre-production testing, as it doesn’t appear to affect braking performance or safely it probably has quite a low priority to fix it. Also the team(s) within VW working on solutions for Polo pre and post production issues might also be working on fixes for other VW models. If so, then safety-related issues on those non-Polo models will almost certainly take priority over non-safety issues on the Polo.

We know how long it took VW to recall and fix cars with the rear seat belt fault (months) - and that was a safety related issue. So I think VW rolling out an effective dealer fix for the GTI / GTI+ rear brake noise is still some way off.

As @monkeyhanger said in a recent post - it’s not just a Polo or VW thing, it’s something that does affect other manufacturers’ vehicles too; a Google search confirms this.

If, as I’m planning, I do get a GTI+ to replace my current 4 year old GTI later this year, I’m anticipating it’ll suffer the same noise when reversing .......🤔
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm
silverhairs wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:01 pm This subject has now been going for 7 pages. This problem has only raised it's head with the GTI & GTI+, I've not seen any members with the 1 Ltr engine motors have these symptoms.

I'd like to do just that but since my car in under warranty with VW maintenance plan (100000KM) for 3 more years I cant touch them.
I can see your point about keeping it untouched while under warranty, you think a bit like me! But look at the members who are fitting different exhausts, having their motors either remapped or having tuning boxes fitted, isn't 6.5 to 62 MPH fast enough? If they want speed, then think about better braking, and rid themselves of the Moooing sound? Thinking that when it comes to having a service, it won't show up on the VW testing equipment, you have to remember, these garages pay thousands of pounds a year to keep their testing equipment up to date, something that the general public cannot get their grubby little hands on.
WHo wants to be the fastest Moooing Movers on the road?
I've kept reading the posts, but it only seems to be the GTI inc + members who wish to modify their motors, the 1 Ltr members seem quite happy with the power they have, the roads today are not built or safe enough for speed, if you want to go fast safely, do it on a race track, without putting the general public in danger!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21 am
OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm

I can see your point about keeping it untouched while under warranty, you think a bit like me! But look at the members who are fitting different exhausts, having their motors either remapped or having tuning boxes fitted, isn't 6.5 to 62 MPH fast enough? If they want speed, then think about better braking, and rid themselves of the Moooing sound? Thinking that when it comes to having a service, it won't show up on the VW testing equipment, you have to remember, these garages pay thousands of pounds a year to keep their testing equipment up to date, something that the general public cannot get their grubby little hands on.
WHo wants to be the fastest Moooing Movers on the road?
I've kept reading the posts, but it only seems to be the GTI inc + members who wish to modify their motors, the 1 Ltr members seem quite happy with the power they have, the roads today are not built or safe enough for speed, if you want to go fast safely, do it on a race track, without putting the general public in danger!
Bit off topic and the members with the larger 2.0 engines have the ability to do such things to their cars as it is better equipped and from my experience it is not just straight line speed that people like its the acceleration from 10mph to the speed limit. Its probably a generational thing but I myself am in favor with exhausts and tuning, after all it is a 'hot hatch'. And in regards to the mooing sound, there will probably never be an official VW fix. people will be better off fitting OEM 'approved' discs and pads.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

A forum is a place for car enthusiasts, and generally, people with performance variants seem to be more enthusiastic about their cars than those driving the non performance variants - hence half the people here having (or have ordered) a GTI/GTI+, even though less than 20% of the Polos on the road are GTIs.

There seem to be 2 types of people considering (or have actually done) modification on here:-

Those who bought the 95ps and wish they bought the 115ps model, (there have been a few!) and those with GTIs who want a bit more out of them.

For those who bought the GTI, we've generally accepted that the Polo drivetrain is capable of more than it's got - it's almost the same set-up as the Golf GTI 245ps, same turbo, same engine type (albeit the Polo's EA888 3b is a little more advanced than the Golf's EA888 3, due to retaining both port injection and direct injection, as well as being able to operate on the Budack cycle for better fuel economy), but in a state of detune.

For those that bought a lower output Polo, there's room in the range to upgrade. For those in a GTI, they'll have to change cars if they don't modify.

Some will always be looking for a quicker car (myself included). For the Polo GTI, the only logical reason VW didn't offer it with 240ps or thereabouts is because they didn't want it to tread on the Golf GTI's toes too much.

There are plenty of times when having plenty of HP is beneficial - safer overtaking, being able to join a road with fast moving traffic and match the speed of the road etc.

It's not all about the traffic lights Hrand Prix forboy racers - if it were, you'd be looking at something with an LSD to reduce tramping or something 4WD to eliminate it completely.

Changing discs and pads when their time is due, for something non OEM, but an equivalent fit should help stop the vibrational mooing when in reverse. Who knows, once they get a bit more wear on them, the issue might resolve itself and then you make sure not to replace with OEM. They're consumables, VW won't oblige you to change for an exact match, the same as they won't refuse warranty on your wiper motor if it burns out, just because you changed your OEM Valeo wipers for Bosch Aerotwin. VW themselves are likely to change brands of discs for factory fit on new cars if the supplier is reliable enough in the supply, and cheap enough for VW to want to change.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Wait till the all electric cars come out, they will whip the behind off the GTI & +. Your looking at the more expensive motors to keep up with them

Tesla Model 3 4 door saloon Performance 0 - 62 = 3.2 seconds @ £42,990 - £56,490

You'll have to strap on quite a bit to keep up with them. But for a 21 grand + car the Polo GTI & + is a cheap motor, but there not the be all to end all motor.

I wonder if the Tesla has a Moooing complaint?

Sorry if this upsets you, but that's the way I see it. I like my SEL, you like your GTI's. In a big city, the pushbike reigns!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm Wait till the all electric cars come out, they will whip the behind off the GTI & +. Your looking at the more expensive motors to keep up with them

Tesla Model 3 4 door saloon Performance 0 - 62 = 3.2 seconds @ £42,990 - £56,490

You'll have to strap on quite a bit to keep up with them. But for a 21 grand + car the Polo GTI & + is a cheap motor, but there not the be all to end all motor.

I wonder if the Tesla has a Moooing complaint?

Sorry if this upsets you, but that's the way I see it. I like my SEL, you like your GTI's. In a big city, the pushbike reigns!
I agree with you as I work for a company that makes electric prototype vehicles for OEM's so I know and have experienced what they are capable of, but I am only 21 and would like to experience a fast car that isn't electric, however I fear we have gone off topic here :lol:
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm
fletch555 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:45 pm A minor inconvenience tbh...mine does it too but I will just be mentioning it when I'm dropping it in for it's 1st service. I certainly wouldn't be back and forth to the garage over it.
I don’t own a current model GTI/GTI+ (yet!), so cant relate to how loud this humming / mooing noise is or how it might affect the ownership experience, but I’d probably also just treat it as a minor inconvenience too, until I had another reason to visit the dealer.

I wonder how many owners would ‘just live with it’ and also treat it as a minor inconvenience if it started doing it for the first time outside the warranty period - assuming it doesn’t affect the car’s braking performance.
See I would strongly argue people shouldn't put up with it or not visit the dealer. Otherwise, VW may think it isn't a wide spread issue. Surely the more that highlight the issue the more traction it will gain. So I'd urge anyone with it that hasn't booked the car in, to do so. Certainly don't do back and forth - but get it logged and raised at least once.
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

Just had a call from VW this afternoon and they said that the issue has been found now and they say that the brake pads were poorly designed. They’ve ordered the new ones for me and the car is booked in for next week. I asked how long has it been since they found the issue and they said not long at all. Fingers crossed?!