Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Vonbek2004 »

deanjesper wrote:Just had a call from VW this afternoon and they said that the issue has been found now and they say that the brake pads were poorly designed. They’ve ordered the new ones for me and the car is booked in for next week. I asked how long has it been since they found the issue and they said not long at all. Fingers crossed?!
Interesting News.
Can I ask what town you are in, UK based?

Be interesting to see how quickly it gets around to other dealerships.

Have you had the issue a while, i.e replacement pads and discs before ??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 pm
deanjesper wrote:Just had a call from VW this afternoon and they said that the issue has been found now and they say that the brake pads were poorly designed. They’ve ordered the new ones for me and the car is booked in for next week. I asked how long has it been since they found the issue and they said not long at all. Fingers crossed?!
Interesting News.

Nearest dealership is South Oxford so Didcot. I’ve had the issue for 3 months and they cleaned the brake pads the first time and wouldn’t investigate the second time. I raised a complaint with VW and I had the call today telling me they’ve brought out newly designed brake pads. It went in about 3 weeks ago and 5 weeks ago and they had nothing from VW then.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The GTI is pretty quick off the line (if that's what floats your boat), especially so for the class of car you're in (it would be daft comparing the upper spec Tesla model 3 at £56k to a £23k Polo GTI, but you did it anyway).

Not aware of anything under £40k in the all- electric stakes right now that could equal or trounce the Polo GTI 0-62, because at that price range they're more bothered about a reasonable range than performance and the cost of the batteries are a large proportion of the total cost of the car. I prefer midrange acceleration anyway, because that's when I use it most.

The smaller all electric cars have less room for batteries, so you're unlikely to see something Polo sized with battery capacity to support a performance and a reasonable range while doing it, not with current battery tech.

The BMW I3s comes closest to the Polo GTI. Similar kerb weights, 181ps, 6.9s 0-62mph and £37k. Unfortunately, it looks like a wonky van.

We'll all be forced into electric cars soon enough, and I'm sure they'll improve on range and energy density of the cells to allow for better performance. But there's nothing out there with Polo GTI performance at anywhere near the same price point right now.

Back on track though, mooing rear brakes? My fix was pretty effective, just a software update and no new pads. Momentary subdued moo on first light brake press in reverse one time in 3. I can live with it until I need new pads or discs.

Larger diameter single unvented discs are more likely to resonate than smaller unvented discs. 1.0TSI 115's much smaller discs are less likely to resonate (think of twanging a ruler from one fixed end, bigger twang the further out you go). This mooing issue wasn't on my Golf R, because it had vented discs on the back, making them more rigid. We either need more rigid discs or better harmonic damping.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nodster wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 pm
SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm
fletch555 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:45 pm A minor inconvenience tbh...mine does it too but I will just be mentioning it when I'm dropping it in for it's 1st service. I certainly wouldn't be back and forth to the garage over it.
I don’t own a current model GTI/GTI+ (yet!), so cant relate to how loud this humming / mooing noise is or how it might affect the ownership experience, but I’d probably also just treat it as a minor inconvenience too, until I had another reason to visit the dealer.

I wonder how many owners would ‘just live with it’ and also treat it as a minor inconvenience if it started doing it for the first time outside the warranty period - assuming it doesn’t affect the car’s braking performance.
See I would strongly argue people shouldn't put up with it or not visit the dealer. Otherwise, VW may think it isn't a wide spread issue. Surely the more that highlight the issue the more traction it will gain. So I'd urge anyone with it that hasn't booked the car in, to do so. Certainly don't do back and forth - but get it logged and raised at least once.
I made the dealership aware of the issue being on my wife's GTI+ after they applied the software fix to mine (it had been in for something else). At the time, I was not sure at the time whether the fix would be effective. If they don't have a proper fix, by all means report it, but visiting a dealer to get a fix that they don't have yet is a waste of your time.

My wife's car will be in for its annual service in May, the fix can wait until then. If it's a proper fix with redesigned brake pads (I'm sceptical - I think it has more to do with the discs) I'll be asking for it, a week in advance of my booking, so they can have the parts ready.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

deanjesper wrote:
Interesting News.

Nearest dealership is South Oxford so Didcot. I’ve had the issue for 3 months and they cleaned the brake pads the first time and wouldn’t investigate the second time. I raised a complaint with VW and I had the call today telling me they’ve brought out newly designed brake pads. It went in about 3 weeks ago and 5 weeks ago and they had nothing from VW then.
OK thanks for the update. [emoji3][emoji106]

I only ask because I got to the point of contacting the finance company telling them I weren't happy and they needed to something about it, which now means the news you received today could change the outcome.

I've had the issue for over a year as I reported the noise a few months after owning the car.. [emoji1751]

Let's hope that these new pads/discs resolve the issue but as monkeyhanger said I'm skeptical..

johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

At worst it's slightly embarrassing, pulling up in a smart new car and grimacing as you put it into reverse.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 pm
deanjesper wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 pm Interesting News.

I only ask because I got to the point of contacting the finance company telling them I weren't happy and they needed to something about it, which now means the news you received today could change the outcome.

I've had the issue for over a year as I reported the noise a few months after owning the car.. [emoji1751]

Let's hope that these new pads/discs resolve the issue but as monkeyhanger said I'm skeptical..

Yeah would be great if it was as easy as just replacing the pads, fingers crossed, but then I'd have thought the noise would occur whilst braking going forwards. However, who knows. The pads appear to be Ferodo stamped who make good pads. I know Mintex have a set of normal pads available. I'm tempted just to try. Think they are ~£30 odd.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Nodster wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 pm
deanjesper wrote: Nearest dealership is South Oxford so Didcot. I’ve had the issue for 3 months and they cleaned the brake pads the first time and wouldn’t investigate the second time. I raised a complaint with VW and I had the call today telling me they’ve brought out newly designed brake pads. It went in about 3 weeks ago and 5 weeks ago and they had nothing from VW then.

Yeah would be great if it was as easy as just replacing the pads, fingers crossed, but then I'd have thought the noise would occur whilst braking going forwards. However, who knows. The pads appear to be Ferodo stamped who make good pads. I know Mintex have a set of normal pads available. I'm tempted just to try. Think they are ~£30 odd.
I'm not convinced that the "pads" are the issue, because as you say we'd expect it going forwards.

I contacted my local dealership and asked them if they knew of the fix and I got a reply "thanks for letting us know, we will check the system" sounds to be that some dealerships aren't actively looking out for the customer.

I'm quite anti VW though because of the overall faff that I've had since owning my car, it's really changed my opinion of VW..

VWPOL0GTL
New
Drives: GTI

Post by VWPOL0GTL »

deanjesper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 pm
Interesting News.

Hey man keep us posted on this, I am having this same issue. I hope VW gets me those new brakes as well, but I am based in Australia
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

My dealership today informed me that VW had not updated any news regarding new pad design.

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

johnpolo2 wrote:My dealership today informed me that VW had not updated any news regarding new pad design.

Yes I just heard that too from my dealership, they did say a software update for the abs but not pads .

Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

So tonight I noticed something, when reversing I put the car from D into R. Then lift off the brake but not all the way and allow the car to pull into wherever I am reversing. Modulating the brake as I go, and of course, getting the noise. So in no point during this process have I really left off the pedal.

Tonight, I did exactly the same but lifted off the brake completely, dabbed the accelerator (which was actually quite voracious for the fact I just touched it) then went back to just modulating the brake pedal. The noise stopped! I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Not wanting to get ahead of myself as it could have totally been a one off but... could touching the accelerator release the pads further from the disc and thus, eliminating the issue. :?:

Wondered if anyone else does what I does and perhaps could try and instead, come off the brake, tap the accelerator and then return to just using the brake for control.

Cheers.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Interesting. Will give this a try in the morning.
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Post by rm55mcc »

My car is booked in on Thursday to get looked at, as the noise is getting louder[emoji2363]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:My car is booked in on Thursday to get looked at, as the noise is getting louder[emoji2363]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine was the same in terms of getting louder. Have you been in previously or first time reporting?