Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Dannn_14 »

So I’ve had my brake pads and discs replaced today and there’s a very very slight noise (not sure if that’s just the new brakes setting in), but there’s no mooing/humming noise like what was happening before.

So short term it’s looking better, but I’ll keep you posted on the next few weeks.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

The Moo report.
Sadly around 2 months after the fix I can report a very slight moo on occasions from the brakes.
It's subtle unlike before, and at this stage being intermittent I can live with it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Just a quick update. Had the pads/discs/software update on the 22nd of November.

The noise is now starting to come back again. It was never completely gone when they first carried out the work but it was better. When they first did the work sometimes the mooing noise was non-existent, other times you could hear it when first engaging the break and reversing but then it would stop.

Over the last couple of weeks it's started to go back to what it was before the work was carried out. Not bothering taking it to VW as they obviously don't know what the issue is and I can't keep booking time off work to get it sorted. Guess I'll just have to turn the music up when reversing. :roll:
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Mine is getting worse. I have booked it back in for this week. They are keeping it for a few days. Feels like 2010 all over again when I had problems with the oil drinking GTI twin charge engine.
Recently found out that a friend had the same brake issue with a Range Rover Evoque. They could not solve it and eventually she rejected the car and now has a problem free Discovery.

OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I'm curious, is the mooing sound only on the GTI? I dont recall seeing people mentioning any other Polo model with the same issue.
Could it be because the GTI uses larger callipers, discs, pads over the standard models?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:58 am I'm curious, is the mooing sound only on the GTI? I dont recall seeing people mentioning any other Polo model with the same issue.
Could it be because the GTI uses larger callipers, discs, pads over the standard models?
Good thinking, nobody else has thought of that one? I've got just a SEL, and I've not had any problems with the Mooing sound, and I cannot think of any other Non GTI or the GTI+ members asking about it?
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

I've got a GTI+ and annoyingly my car had the same issue as the standard GTI's, but I do agree and think it is an issue exclusive to the GTI/GTI+ range.

I replaced the brake pads and discs around 5 weeks ago, and as yet, no noise whatsoever. Little bit disheartening to see that most people's noise has come back, but we'll see over the next few months I guess...
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

My GTI has started doing this for the last day or two. Picked the car up (used) from a dealership. Only had the car about 3 weeks. 2019 model with about 8k miles on it. It is sooo loud, people look at you when reversing when you are lightly using the brake.

Is there a fix?
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

A few of us had a fix. Pads and software update. All fine for awhile then it returns.

Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:24 pm A few of us had a fix. Pads and software update. All fine for awhile then it returns.

Darn. :( Pads I suppose is a good shout, as if they are perhaps not releasing fully and the material is causing it but it sounds more like a resonance issue for the sound being made (i.e not a squeak or a squeal usually associated with a pad material). I wonder if something isn't lubricated correctly and therefore there is vibration causing the noise. I have some Brembo B-Quiet lube (btw amazing stuff) but I just don't see why I should bother taking it all apart to re-grease when the garage should. I might ask them.

Thanks.
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

It appears to be a resonance issue which is why a few of us were asked to record the sound. I was told discs, pads were changed with a software update.

MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Briskoda forum mentioned resonance on the Karoq here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... es/page/2/
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

My 3 month year old Polo GTI+ is also making the same noise. I booked it in with my local dealership last week and they said the brake pads were fine and they gave them a clean. Reversed out of the dealership, no noise. Got home and reversed, mooing was back slightly. I woke up the next morning and drove to work, reversed into work and it was worse than it was before. It's booked in again for next week... :evil:
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

13months and 25 000km later .... breaking in revers is still making noise like mad. got used to it and will try different pads once those will die
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Mine came back from the dealership last week after the problem had returned and I'd booked it back in.
It wasn't a total waste of time because I was having the voice control activated as I'd previously had it.
However re the brake noise I've been told that VW are aware of the issue but as of yet they have no solution to the problem. As soon as they do I'll be informed.