Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Blackpug »

Polo monster wrote:I used to work in the motor trade over a decade ago (motor vehicle tech) and I experienced many different faults on cars (a French brand in this instance). We had hundreds of “product enhancements” that we could apply to fix all sorts of issues.
I think if enough polo owners are having issues that a fix will be found in a reasonable time.
We did have a similar problem on one French vehicle, this was rectified by a shim kit on the pads to stop the resonance of the pad against the caliper carrier. Also another where the pad material was changed to stop unwanted noises.
Unfortunately there were times when the manufacturers didn’t have a clue and we were left in limbo! Thankfully this was very rare though, Usually just one off spurious problems.
It’s really annoying, but hang in there and I’m confident that a fix will be found!
Mines does it too but it doesn’t bother me. I agree with you that it needs some sort of shim to sort issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Wow! I am so glad that i came across this thread because i have exactly the same issue.
I even pulled a months worth of Video to show to the dealer. https://youtu.be/3uBdudGcf4c (Most is pixelated to protect privacy) but you can still hear the noise.

My pads and discs have already been replaced once and that remedy lasted about a week and then the issue returned, so VW dealership wrote a DISS report to VW technical in Germany/UK who replied the following:

After speaking to the Service Manager about the brake noise, VW technical have advised that there is no further action that can be carried out at this point other than what has already been done and they will let us know when there is a further update.

Now given the price of the polo GTI+ at brand new, i feel its not a very good reply, and have told them that i am seeking legal advice on the matter. Its frustrating but if i had known that issue when test driving the car, there is no way i would have parted with the amount of cash needed to buy the GTI+

I also have a issue with transmission issue (Spoke about in thread before) to which the dealership saids there is nothing wrong however i think otherwise as i test drove another GTi+ and it was wayyy smoother than my car, the Sales manager however put it down to that DSG's remember your driving style, so my car might be different, he also said that my car has 8k+ miles whereas the one i test drove only had 3k+.

Id be interested to know whether if anyone who has bought a GTI+ in the UK is also still having issues and what has been done to help them as it would seem that VW don't want to budge on the matter!

Stuart

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The brake mooing noise in reverse is not uniquely a Polo issue, it's not even uniquely a VW issue.

Many Golfs do it to, my colleague has a Toyota Auris that does it. VW have been a little proactive in trying to get to a solution.

I got the software update - it's made the issue a lot better but hasn't fully got rid of it.

The way you drive the car might affect how severe the car changes gear, and what mode you're in. It's generally a little less smooth in proper manual mode going down the gears. The gearbox generally gathers the next gear in on the up shift, partially slipping the clutch as it does so, to facilitate a smooth transition.
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

So a bit of an update on my situation...

After visiting and being told twice by the dealership that nothing could be done about the noise and that it was just a ‘characteristic of the car’ (despite them test driving the car for 48 hours and admitting that they were able to replicate the noise), I decided to call up VW UK.

VW UK got in touch with the dealership and they advised them that I wanted to test drive another GTI to make sure that it was in fact a feature of all GTI’s (which the dealership claimed it was).

Cool.

So without hesitation after VW UK explained to me that I needed to go and test drive another GTI, I drove to the dealership without warning, spotted a GTI, grabbed a service exec., they went and found a salesman and we went out for a drive.

Low and behold, no noise in the other GTI. We then got in my car, and there it was, the loud humming noise. (Couldn’t believe it happened tbh, how many times have you taken a car down with an issue, only for it to not happen whilst you’re at the dealership?!)

Got out, sat in the dealership, 20 mins later a technician came out and said “let’s go for a spin so we can try and replicate the noise”. I asked him why after you’ve had it for an entire day and were able to replicate it, I’d just replicated with his colleague 2 minutes ago, on top of the 10 recordings I sent them, I needed to go and do it again. He said “the salesman isn’t able to diagnose what’s wrong with the car”.

I nearly lost it with him by this point I’ll be honest, but after about 10 mins of ‘conversation’ 😂, I reluctantly went out, thinking to myself this noise isn’t gonna happen again, but it did (again I couldn’t believe it). And his face dropped because he expected nothing to happen. I turned to him and said “I take it you can hear that, or shall we grab somebody else”?

Long story short, they’re replacing the pads and disks, which after reading above doesn’t always fix the issue, but it’s a start to them actually admitting there’s an issue with the car!

What I’ve learnt is that both the dealerships and VW are trying to pass the blame onto each other. So if you’re having an issue with the dealership in getting them to at least take the next steps, I’d recommend a) getting VW directly involved and b) just hounding the dealership until they’re sick of the sight of you!

I’ll update when they’ve been changed and let you know if it actually fixes the issue!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Dannn_14; be aware that it might not fix it. As @monkeyhanger has said, it’s not unique to the Polo or VW; other VW models and other manufacturers vehicles are known to exhibit this ‘characteristic’.

It is disappointing though that customers seem to have to ‘jump through hoops and over hurdles’ to get the dealership to take them seriously.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hi all.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress as well. Be good to use the info from other garages to try and get a resolution for all of us..

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 am @Dannn_14; be aware that it might not fix it. As @monkeyhanger has said, it’s not unique to the Polo or VW; other VW models and other manufacturers vehicles are known to exhibit this ‘characteristic’.

It is disappointing though that customers seem to have to ‘jump through hoops and over hurdles’ to get the dealership to take them seriously.
Yeah I know man, just gotta hope I get lucky and it does fix it.

But completely agree. It’s a shame that we do have to jump through hurdles because I’d have gone back to VW for another car had I have not had to go back and forth several times. In the end it was less about the noisy brakes, and more about me trying to prove the dealership wrong in that they were making a noise and more to the point that it’s not a common, healthy noise.

Shame! But as Stuart said, hopefully if enough of us complain about the issue, VW can hopefully find a genuine fix in time!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Visit to VW today to get the brake pads and discs changed. Was told they also did a software update (something relating to the braking system). It did seem less jerky on the drive home.

Apparently 'the car will always make that noise' and its normal according to the people at my local VW, but the 'mooing' noise should now be gone. They also said something along the lines of dirt builds up around the calipers and giving them a 'good power wash' may help with the noise... :roll:

Parked the car up on the way home and there was a split second mooing noise when reversing but its definitely better for now. Will report back in a few days as I don't think the issue is completely gone.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm Visit to VW today to get the brake pads and discs changed. Was told they also did a software update (something relating to the braking system). It did seem less jerky on the drive home.

Apparently 'the car will always make that noise' and its normal according to the people at my local VW, but the 'mooing' noise should now be gone. They also said something along the lines of dirt builds up around the calipers and giving them a 'good power wash' may help with the noise... :roll:

Parked the car up on the way home and there was a split second mooing noise when reversing but its definitely better for now. Will report back in a few days as I don't think the issue is completely gone.
That's what I have post-fix, first touch of the brakes gives a muted moo and then no more during the manoeuvre. The inconsistency between dealerships to change hardware or not when applying the software update is odd - I never got a change of disks and pads.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 pm
S_94 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm Visit to VW today to get the brake pads and discs changed. Was told they also did a software update (something relating to the braking system). It did seem less jerky on the drive home.

That's what I have post-fix, first touch of the brakes gives a muted moo and then no more during the manoeuvre. The inconsistency between dealerships to change hardware or not when applying the software update is odd - I never got a change of disks and pads.
Suppose it's better than nothing for now. Guessing there's confusion around the issue across different dealerships. Hope VW can solve the issue for future cars.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

I asked for y pads to be "roughed up" but was told they have a special coating on preventing the dealer from doing this?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Surely a rub on a piece of rough emery paper will rub the special coating off the pads?
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 pm Surely a rub on a piece of rough emery paper will rub the special coating off the pads?
You'd have thought driving a few miles would take the coating off!! I often see their head technician at weekends as he lives up the road behind me, I might just have to ask him off guard and see what he says....
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 pm

The issue is definitely less severe after having work done. There is a split second 'moo' noise when reversing but that's it. Still not entirely happy but it's better.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

So i had mine in a few weeks ago, and they did acknowledge the sound was present, was given the usual song about its supposed to say that.
(Yet none of my previous cars have done it, had two 6C’s)

They wanted to update the ABS module, but I already had the newest software.

Was sent on my way and the brakes still moo like crazy.

In the morning on first reverse. But also now when I return home after a few miles drive.

Honestly ... I can’t be bothered taking it back again. Its so inconvenient for me, and they apparently do f**k all... scuse my language