Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Norn Iron »

Hi,
My local VW engineers are at a loss as to why I have a rear wheel humming sound when reversing. Initially, it was only making this noise (think of a massive wine glass low register sound that's achieved by rubbing a finger on its rim) when lightly applying the foot brake when reversing. It now does this noise when reversing without applying brake pressure.
We had the rear suspension droplinks replaced in September. They cleaned the brake pads in November. They cleaned the front pads beginning of December (despite me providing recorded evidence to prove it was the rear wheels) and they reluctantly replaced the rear pads last week.
I wouldn't say the engineers are inept or lacking in customer care. Alright I will. In my opinion, the VW engineers are inept and lacking in customer care.
So, I turn to this forum for help because the VW Service Dept has demonstrated they care little about solving this problem. The car was in four times in a two week period. I've suggested it could be the wheels themselves but that would cost too much to replace especially if that wasn't the fault.
In light of the above information, has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what was done to rectify it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can then report back to the Customer Team.
Many thanks.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by MattHGR »

Seen this problem on a friend's car. It was the wheel hub that had gone bad.
Much older car though.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I wonder what happens if you resort to fitting external helper springs to the handbrake levers, as was a popular mod to earlier 9N etc cars, I even added them to my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI to prevent any possible issues "down the road".

Again the higher powered earlier cars got fitted with a damper assembly which would just lower the frequency and so "remove" from the normal human audible range - which not really addressing the problem at its root!

Edit:- the damper that I mentioned above was fitted mainly retrospectively to get rid of "MOOOing" from the rear disc brakes while reversing - is history repeating itself, goodness knows which company has been used to manufacture these originally Girling>Lucas>TRW>??? brake callipers.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If it’s making a high pitched noise similar to rubbing the edge of a wine glass, it does sound as if something’s binding when reversing.

If you think it might be the wheels, surely the dealer could fit a different pair of wheels from another car to the rear of your car to test whether or not that’s the problem. They can do this without incurring the cost of two new wheels and at least eliminate wheels as a possible cause if your car still makes the noise with the alternative wheels fitted.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I have something similiar, only when reversing and only when aplying brake so that should be brake pads. Might be that they are just new and they did not sit right yet.
Norn Iron
New

Post by Norn Iron »

UPDATE

Thanks for all the replies.
I have just returned from the garage as they wanted to fix it once and for all. However, VW has issued a communication stating that not only are they aware of this issue but supplied an audio file of the noise. It resonates around 300 MHz apparently. VW has stated that this is perfectly acceptable and is not in any way a safety hazard. What's more VW is calling it a "Comfort Noise".
Even the manager agreed that spending £23,000 on a car should not have to have a comfort noise. I suppose I just have to suck it up but I can't.
Before I take the matter further, I'd be grateful if anyone knows what consumer rights we have, if any, as I don't think the noise is acceptable. Obviously, wearing yellow vests and arranging a picket line outside their Wolfsburg HQ is way on down the line (it has to be done in late September whilst the weather is still great and ferry/hotel prices will be cheaper than the school holidays....just sayin')!
Any thoughts on what we can do to get VW to fix this issue would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Perhaps not helpful in terms of your plight, and just my view, I get this occasionally but tbh it doesn't bother me at all. I say that because I don't think it's uncommon and it's certainly something that I have experienced on other vehicles. I personally see it as a characteristic of brakes when reversing in general and not an issue that needs to be fixed.

Edit: Squeaky Brakes seem relatively common in the VAG group.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmCZCw85EhU&t=304s
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Good luck trying to reject a car for a noise that only happens when you reverse.
You've basically got no chance, none, zero, zilch.
Believe me, we (the company) had enough trouble rejecting a Scirocco that kept actually breaking down (actually stopping in the road) and spent more time in the dealer than on the road.
If it's bothering you that much, you'll need to suck it up and get something else on your own dime.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

How many km have you driven with your GTI? Rear brakes need more kms to break-in than front ones.
If you have driven less than 1000km, I'd suggest you to just drive the car for more kms.

If the problem persists, try this: go in an empty car parking location and do some hard beakings in reverse and going straight alternatively. This would clean eventual dust stuck between discs and pads.

If the problem persists, it could be a problem related to the material of the original pads. Maybe it is too hard and it produces that sound in cold conditions. Replacing brake pads with some others with a softer material could fix the problem.

In the extreme hypothesis, I would think about an handbrake leverage problem (set too tight) or an hydraulic problem with one or both rear calipers which don't release completely when releasing the handbrake. In the first case, try to loosen a bit the regulation nut for the handbrake. In the second case, first try to bleed the rear calipers (air bubbles in the hydraulic circuit could want to expand, causing the caliper's piston to not get back completely) and, if the problem persists, I would replace rear calipers, because there could be a defect inside their internal handbrake mechanism.

Inviato dal mio MHA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Norn Iron
New

Post by Norn Iron »

The car has done 4900 miles. It was bought in July but the noise didn't start until late November.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As you don’t seem to be getting anywhere with this problem using the correct channels, why don’t you get your supplying dealer to order you in the harmonic damper kept that was used on the 9N3 Polo GT and if fitting it clears that problem, take this info via your dealer back to VW for their comments?
jfdouce
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI

Post by jfdouce »

Hi,

I bought a brand new polo gti 2018 model in Perth Australia. I believe I have the same problem. I took the car back 7 times already. The VW tech responsible for the whole state decided to change the brake pads and discs and the problem went away for about 4 days before is trying heating the humming noise again.

I got in touch with VW Australia and they told me that the dealership could reproduce the problem. I think that it’s because they did not drive it for long enough and did not brake lightly enough while reversing.

I was also told that it’s because I am feathering the brake pedal that the noise is manifesting and that it is not a safety issue.

However still a terrible noise to hear for a brand new car.
I wish VW will take this seriously and do something about it. Have you heard anything since?

I am getting desperate here.
Thanks
Norn Iron
New

Post by Norn Iron »

Update...

Thanks to those that have posted on here. Most have been helpful.

Eventually, VW Germany got involved. They admitted that it is a manufacturer's problem. The T-Roc makes this noise as well.

In June, the car had a computer software update for the braking system. VW HQ said this should do it. It didn't.

In August, VW HQ asked for the car so that new brakes could be fitted. I told our local garage that they had done this earlier in the new year. They too were sceptical of the request from HQ. However, we went ahead.

I can report we own a VW Polo GTI which does not make that hideous noise when reversing! The new software update plus new brakes did the trick. Not one but two issues.

Standing your ground and persistence works. It was in the interest of VW as well to fix it so that other cars won't have the same issue.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Norn Iron wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am Update...

Thanks to those that have posted on here. Most have been helpful.

Eventually, VW Germany got involved. They admitted that it is a manufacturer's problem. The T-Roc makes this noise as well.

In June, the car had a computer software update for the braking system. VW HQ said this should do it. It didn't.

In August, VW HQ asked for the car so that new brakes could be fitted. I told our local garage that they had done this earlier in the new year. They too were sceptical of the request from HQ. However, we went ahead.

I can report we own a VW Polo GTI which does not make that hideous noise when reversing! The new software update plus new brakes did the trick. Not one but two issues.

Standing your ground and persistence works. It was in the interest of VW as well to fix it so that other cars won't have the same issue.
Great news for you :-) I have taken mine in 3 times now, first time chamfered pads, no different, 2nd time "reset" ABS unit?? No different, now awaiting new brake pads to see if that fixes.

I assume you mean new pads when you say new brakes? Not a complete brake assembly?

Mine seems to make the noise reversing even without touching the brake pedal so it seems to be faulty, not fully releasing?
Norn Iron
New

Post by Norn Iron »

Hi MilgeS,
Apologies, it was indeed the brake pads.
I sent the recorded sound of the reversing noise to VW.
Please ask your dealer to contact HQ. It has to be the latest software release created for this problem plus new brake pads to rectify the issue.
Hope this helps with your car noise.