Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by MilgeS »

I had to call my dealer today as one of my window switches snapped when pressed, while I was on the phone I asked if the bolts had arrived yet to stop the reverse mooing and was told they are there waiting to be fitted, which will be in a few weeks at service, hopefully others will start seeing theirs arrive soon.
archiemorley
New
Drives: VW Polo 6c BlueGT

Post by archiemorley »

My BlueGT moos/hums in reverse too, mainly when the weather is wet. It had new discs and pads on rear in June 2020. I am wondering if this is something I need to worry about, or whether I can just ignore it Cheers
edit: just noticed this is on the AW forum. I wonder if it is the same issue
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Has anyone had the fix done on their car yet? I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet so I'm assuming the still can't get the bolts over to the UK
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

MilgeS wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 pm Has anyone had the fix done on their car yet? I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet so I'm assuming the still can't get the bolts over to the UK
So did you ask them where "your" bolts had gone to - the ones that they told you were in and waiting for your car back in June as you said in your previous posting?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

MilgeS wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 pm Has anyone had the fix done on their car yet? I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet so I'm assuming the still can't get the bolts over to the UK
Booked in for the 20th of November.

Rang VW 3 times before this and every time was told 'we'll give you a call when the parts are in'. The parts have obviously come in and they never called me. :roll:

Their customer service is a joke.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

Mine was repaired at the beginning of August and since then I've never heard the noise when reversing.

But I was the one who unfortunately had to press at the beginning of May, which I think was when I read the solution here. :x

My dealer didn't even know VW's solution for carrying out the intervention. :roll:
Attachments
20210819_0802461.jpg
20210819_0802461.jpg (384.89 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:29 pm
So did you ask them where "your" bolts had gone to - the ones that they told you were in and waiting for your car back in June as you said in your previous posting?
Apparently they had the bolts but not the other parts as they only ordered the bolts, think I might have to chase them up again!
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:02 pm

Rang VW 3 times before this and every time was told 'we'll give you a call when the parts are in'. The parts have obviously come in and they never called me. :roll:

Ahh, maybe I will have to chase them up again, they've probably got the bits there waiting too, knowing them!
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:02 pm

I called today, not surprisingly they have the bolts in stock but failed to let me know. I have booked in for 26th November, earliest date they can collect and drop off my car back at work, otherwise I could've got it booked in sooner. I hope it fixes our problem.
silver38
New
Drives: GTi+

Post by silver38 »

Booked my GTI+ in for a service next week and mentioned the rear brake noise when in reverse and was told it didn't affect my model.

Anyone got any offical VW paper work with TPI numbers i can direct the dealer to.

Thanks
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

So after two and a half years of ownership, the problem has (hopefully) been resolved. Car went in for the fix this morning.

Reverse parked when I got home and had no noise, fingers crossed that stays the same now and that's the end of the issue. All in all took about an hour for them to do, also got sent a standard health check video when I was sitting in the waiting room and everything else was fine which was good. :)

Had a browse around the show room, the ID.3 / ID.4 were there and have to say they look a lot nicer in person. Surprised how big they are.

Every car had a notice on the window about the semi-conductor shortage and long build times. Know the pain of waiting for a new build so I do feel sorry for those who are waiting!

There was a Golf GTI Clubsport 45 in the car park, looked stunning. £46,000 starting price though. :shock:
Attachments
The fix itself
The fix itself
B00F5B56-3216-4F33-B6C8-B22402203ECC.jpeg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:19 am So after two and a half years of ownership, the problem has (hopefully) been resolved. Car went in for the fix this morning.

Reverse parked when I got home and had no noise, fingers crossed that stays the same now and that's the end of the issue. All in all took about an hour for them to do, also got sent a standard health check video when I was sitting in the waiting room and everything else was fine which was good. :)

Had a browse around the show room, the ID.3 / ID.4 were there and have to say they look a lot nicer in person. Surprised how big they are.

Every car had a notice on the window about the semi-conductor shortage and long build times. Know the pain of waiting for a new build so I do feel sorry for those who are waiting!

There was a Golf GTI Clubsport 45 in the car park, looked stunning. £46,000 starting price though. :shock:
Glad you're sorted, mine is in this coming Friday, 3.5 years waiting!! Good to know it's only about an hour, might see if I can get a sit and wait appointment now inside of them collecting it and having it all day. Good luck with the silence, I reckon I'll think it's faulty being quiet!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 am
S_94 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:19 am So after two and a half years of ownership, the problem has (hopefully) been resolved. Car went in for the fix this morning.

Glad you're sorted, mine is in this coming Friday, 3.5 years waiting!! Good to know it's only about an hour, might see if I can get a sit and wait appointment now inside of them collecting it and having it all day. Good luck with the silence, I reckon I'll think it's faulty being quiet!
@S94; good that it’s eventually sorted. @MilgeS; hope the fix also works for you. Dealers are doing sit and wait appointments now - I waited while my car had its first service a couple of months ago.

My car’s rear brakes only ever makes the noise after after I’ve washed it and that thin film of rust forms on the discs. Other than that, they’re pretty much silent and always have been, so I concluded (maybe wrongly) that the noise is caused by the brake pads removing that thin film of rust from the discs the first time I reverse the car after I’ve washed it. I do garage my car, so the discs don’t rust when the car’s parked up, which might explain why I don’t get the mooing at any other time. I can live with the noise once every 10-14 days after I’ve washed the car (or less frequently if I’m feeling lazy and can’t be bothered to clean it! 🙂).
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

3.5 years is hell of a long time! Can't believe it's taken this long. Yeah luckily I was the first person in this morning, probably worth asking on the day how long it'll be but yeah estimate it was 45-60 min job. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

Cheers SRGTD.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:06 am

@S94; good that it’s eventually sorted. @MilgeS; hope the fix also works for you. Dealers are doing sit and wait appointments now - I waited while my car had its first service a couple of months ago.

My car’s rear brakes only ever makes the noise after after I’ve washed it and that thin film of rust forms on the discs. Other than that, they’re pretty much silent and always have been, so I concluded (maybe wrongly) that the noise is caused by the brake pads removing that thin film of rust from the discs the first time I reverse the car after I’ve washed it. I do garage my car, so the discs don’t rust when the car’s parked up, which might explain why I don’t get the mooing at any other time. I can live with the noise once every 10-14 days after I’ve washed the car (or less frequently if I’m feeling lazy and can’t be bothered to clean it! 🙂).
Mine sounds like a whale calling, so embarrassing when there's people around! I had my pads "roughed" up once before, they charged me £50 for the pleasure, just to try and prove to them it wasn't me imagining it (and it was silent for a week or so after), glad it has finally been proved a fault by VW, not that I will ever see my money back, but at least they know I'm not moaning for the sake of it!