Bizarre keyless unlocking

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Bizarre keyless unlocking

Post by MilgeS »

Happy New Year to you all :-)

So I'm washing some birds mess off the car with my wash mitt, then I put that back in the bucket and as I use a watering can to run some clean water over the door, the car unlocks!

I guess this is because I have the keys in my pocket and the car senses something on the inside of the handle as the water passes over it? I've never had a keyless entry before so assume this is normal behaviour, lucky I didn't have my headphones on as I might normally washing the car as it would have stayed unlocked without me noticing.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Bizarre keyless unlocking

Post by monkeyhanger »

MilgeS wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:55 pm Happy New Year to you all :-)

So I'm washing some birds mess off the car with my wash mitt, then I put that back in the bucket and as I use a watering can to run some clean water over the door, the car unlocks!

I guess this is because I have the keys in my pocket and the car senses something on the inside of the handle as the water passes over it? I've never had a keyless entry before so assume this is normal behaviour, lucky I didn't have my headphones on as I might normally washing the car as it would have stayed unlocked without me noticing.
When I wash around the door handles, they unlock if I have the key on me (which I need, to put the wiper arms in service position). Fear not though - if you don't open a door within a minute of unlocking the car, it will lock itself again.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Ah yes, I forgot about that auto lock again, thanks for the reminder :-)
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I've had lots of keyless cars, but can't tell you if this behaviour is normal or not because I've never washed a locked car..... :?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Have you tried washing the car with the car keys indoors, or carry the keys in one of them wallets that stop other people cloning the key?
I thought the car unlocked it's self when the car recognised the car keys were near it, and locked it's self automatically once the keys were out of range??

I might be wrong?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 am Have you tried washing the car with the car keys indoors, or carry the keys in one of them wallets that stop other people cloning the key?
I thought the car unlocked it's self when the car recognised the car keys were near it, and locked it's self automatically once the keys were out of range??

I might be wrong?
As far as I know, only Renault cars automatically lock when you walk away.
It's a great feature.
To unlock the car, you still had to press a button on the handle.
Any other keyless car we've had, you still need to press the button on the door handle to lock or unlock.
When we had a Renault and Juke, my wife was forever leaving the Juke unlocked because she was used to just walking away from the Renault.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

My 6R does the same. The water touching the handles does the same as a hand touching the handles does. It's nothing to worry about. As long as your keys are not withing range of the car (say a metre or so), the rain won't unlock it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My mind is blown...all these people washing locked cars..... :shock:
Why isn't unlocking part of your washing routine?
Don't you hoover them?
Don't you clean the inside sills etc?
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I lock mine because it lets me get the mitt in around the door handles without the door opening :lol:
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:06 pm My mind is blown...all these people washing locked cars..... :shock:
Why isn't unlocking part of your washing routine?
Don't you hoover them?
Don't you clean the inside sills etc?
Not washing a car with it locked, only "washing some birds mess off the car with my wash mitt" which was on the painted part of the door, no need to wash the whole car as that was washed the day before :-)