Polo GTi + Driving Modes

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Re: Polo GTi + Driving Modes

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Hi Grant.

I believe the biggest difference between the modes are the speeder response and how fast the car actually up and downshifts gear. ECO modes usually forces you in the highest gear possible to limit fuel consumption.

Normal mode is somewhat similar, but it will grant you that extra power when you choose so.

2/. If I do want to change the mode to Sport for that little bit of fizz (non techny term) is there any need to pop the DSG lever back a notch into S at the same time as selecting Sport Mode via the console buttons.

My personal experience in my current 220D BMW is that whenever you switches modes there will be a slight delay. So if you want to have that instant power, I would choose use the padde shifter while changing mode.
When i test drove the GTI I noticed that you don't have to go to manual mode in order to do so. All you have to do is to hold the paddle shifter, and it will go into manual by itself and will remain in manual.

I am by no mean an expert so right me if I am wrong :)

I'll be recieving my own GTI next month so i'll be able to edit this if i discover something else.
ste-pc
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ste-pc »

Hi

I can confirm that in my gti + you can use the paddle shifts without having to put the stick to the left into manual mode. The paddles let you shift up and down at any time and resume to the selected auto mode when they have not been used for a short period of time. You can also cancel the manual mode when using them this way by holding the right paddle for a few seconds.

Hope this helps.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

What I would do is to personalize the individual mode for my every day driving. Find out what settings you like or dislike.
It all comes down to the way you drive and how economy minded you are ofc :)

I'm not too sure if there is any difference between the console and touch screen.

The sport mode on the touch screen is preset settings like normal and eco. Maybe the sports buttom on the console stiffens the suspension further?
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

In any case.. You can't go wrong by driving in normal mode
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

I would assume it isn't as much as you would think. I've heard that some of the car functions are limitted while using ECO mode. The ACC especially is effected by ECO mode and isn't as effective. Another thing is that the car feels more heavy and not as responsive as you might want a GTI car to be. If that is worth a few MPG then go for it, otherwise stick to normal or individual and enjoy the GTI as it should be.. A proper hatch :)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The difference between eco and normal is minimal gains in coasting and no fake engine noise for eco, as well as a very dull throttle pedal response.

The difference between normal and Sport is a duller pedal response in normal and less fake engine noise than in Sport.

Unless you feel the need to bury the throttle,, you could drive the same way with the same economy in normal, but be pressing the throttle pedal less in Sport than in normal to achieve the same end result.

If you're a throttle tickler, trying to get 45mpg in your GTI around the doors then choose Eco. Otherwise I'd choose Sport (or individual with everything set to Sport except dampers and engine noise set to normal).

Mpg is completely subjective. Right now the kids are off school and the roads are pretty empty on my 13 mile commute. It's taking me 25 mins and giving 39mpg. Next week the roads will be busy again the same journey will be 35-40 mins and I'll get 34mpg.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S mode keeps higher rev thresholds for changing gear. It defaults back to D on next ignition cycle, but throttle pedal response remains sharp. If you're in S mode, you can pull the shifter to full back momentarily and it'll go to D
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Hi MonkeyHanger.

Do you know if there is any difference between console sport and the one the display shows?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Saw an average of 47MPG in my GTI+ the other day on my commute :shock: combination of quiet roads being and able to sit at 70 the whole way to work.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm The difference between eco and normal is minimal gains in coasting and no fake engine noise for eco, as well as a very dull throttle pedal response.

The difference between normal and Sport is a duller pedal response in normal and less fake engine noise than in Sport.

Unless you feel the need to bury the throttle,, you could drive the same way with the same economy in normal, but be pressing the throttle pedal less in Sport than in normal to achieve the same end result.

If you're a throttle tickler, trying to get 45mpg in your GTI around the doors then choose Eco. Otherwise I'd choose Sport (or individual with everything set to Sport except dampers and engine noise set to normal).

Mpg is completely subjective. Right now the kids are off school and the roads are pretty empty on my 13 mile commute. It's taking me 25 mins and giving 39mpg. Next week the roads will be busy again the same journey will be 35-40 mins and I'll get 34mpg.
Cheers. No im not a throttle tickler trying to achieve 45mpg in my GTi.

Yes mid to higher 30's would be nice!!!

I'm being quite realistic and always expected the GTi to be considerably thirstier than my previous Golf TSI.

I probably havent explained myself very well so far...

I like the power available ( i can live without the fake engine noise though) but I want the optimum set up, within the modes available, to have a compliant (eg. not too hard suspension) daily runner with the ability to get down the road quickly (on my command) with a reasonable mpg. I don't need the car to wring out every mpg and sip fuel gently but equally i dont want it drinking excessive amounts unless i press the loud pedal.

G
In Sport mode, with the Sport throttle response with normal automatic change-up (autobox in "D" mode rather than "S" mode) is no thirstier than doing the exact same drive in Normal mode (except with less throttle press).

Sport mode doesn't needlessly chuck fuel away, unless you leave the gearbox in S mode where it hangs on to the revs longer in each gear.
andybarker27
New
Drives: Polo 2015 GT DSG

Post by andybarker27 »

grudgey wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm The difference between eco and normal is minimal gains in coasting and no fake engine noise for eco, as well as a very dull throttle pedal response.

Cheers. No im not a throttle tickler trying to achieve 45mpg in my GTi.

Yes mid to higher 30's would be nice!!!

I'm being quite realistic and always expected the GTi to be considerably thirstier than my previous Golf TSI.

I probably havent explained myself very well so far...

I like the power available ( i can live without the fake engine noise though) but I want the optimum set up, within the modes available, to have a compliant (eg. not too hard suspension) daily runner with the ability to get down the road quickly (on my command) with a reasonable mpg. I don't need the car to wring out every mpg and sip fuel gently but equally i dont want it drinking excessive amounts unless i press the loud pedal.

G
What are you averaging mpg? In GTI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Averaging 34mpg in mine. I know it's capable of a lot more than that on long and uncontested journeys (43mpg maintaining 80mph on the motorway).
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Just had an email from a friend in London, and the speed camera's on the M25 and M1 are all going to be set at 72 MPH, forget the 10% (77), and that's all the M1.
Keep up the 80 MPH on either of them two motorways, and you'll be back to a push bike :D
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Average speed cameras do my head in.
Mile after mile of people with their cruise controls set at slightly different versions of 70mph.
Lane 2 or 3 (depending on type of motorway) full of people going past slower traffic at 0.9mph more.....
AArgh.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The thing is Andy, the roads are getting more and more congested, things can only get worse. As for passing other road users at 0.9 MPH, it gives you time to either look to your right or left give them a smile and a wave :D . As for different cruise control speeds, you should have ACC, set it a couple of MPH than the official speed, and you just keep your distance behind the car in front, a bit spooky at first, but it works.

Just had another email from another friend who sent a clipping from a news paper about the cameras on the M25 and M1, all set to 72 MPH max, this also applies to the smart motorways, so be careful :!: