Fuel consumption

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lonares
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by lonares »

You can check out the https://motoreu.com/volkswagen-polo to compare consumption levels mate! It is really useful!
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:30 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:19 pm Sooo here we go 12 months and 24000km later with manual GTI. I was expecting it to be higher :mrgreen:
That's 34.7mpg in UK measurements.

My 2018 DSG variant has averaged 33mpg over 11500 miles (18500km) and it is markedly more powerful and responsive than my wife's 2019 model with a GPF/OPF.

Mpg completely depends on your driving style and congestion.

My commute is 13 miles long, traffic is awful for the middle 3 Mike's. On a really bad day, it can be as low as 28mpg. On a pretty empty commute (Like yesterday - so many people off work yesterday), I had 38mpg.

Recently I have taken a different route home, it's 15 miles (2 miles longer), and I'm consistently getting 36-38mpg when the other way would be 32mpg.

I had a job Interview Wednesday afternoon, it was 32 miles home (so doubling my commute) on busy but flowing dual carriageway that lets me average 60mph/97kmph - I got 47mpg, despite a 10mph crawl for 3 miles (they're putting a massive flyover in to go straight over the roundabout that serves the Sunderland Nissan plant).

I have been offered the job! 😀
wish you luck :) Actualy my work commute is responsible for that big peek in consumption (that 9,xL/100km) that was week or two where I was driving only to work (8km). I have around 14 shifts per month so around 3000km per year ... rest was mostly driving for fun so no consumption in mind. That is why I was expecting higher consumption and was nicely suprised :D
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:07 pm
fletch555 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 pm My fuel consumption has gotten terrible in the last few days, like really bad. I generally average around 8ltr/100km...today it was between 14 and 16. 2 other things I've noticed, start-stop is not kicking in at all and the soundaktor is really loud on all settings...could the 3 things be related? How long does the GPF regen take?
If your consumption has dived 30%+ and the car is running loud, then I'd say you've definitely got a forced regen going on (or a fuel leak and a banana up your exhaust!). For my wife, her mpg was dire going to and from work (8 miles each way). How long is your average journey?
After a motorway spin this morning and exercising the engine a little, all is back to normal now. mpg has returned to usual, stop start back working and the extra noise is gone.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

For most people with a WLTP compliant Polo, this will be the first GPF equipped car they have owned. Discussions on the forum over GPF regeneration characteristics was discussed early this year when forum members were waiting to take delivery of the first WLTP compliant, GPF-equipped cars, and there was uncertainty over whether the conditions necessary to trigger the regeneration process would be the same as it is with diesel cars equipped with a DPF - seem to remember the general consensus was it may be different.

Is there anything in the Owner’s Manual regarding conditions under when an active regeneration of the GPF might happen, how long it will last, and what the owner might notice when an active regeneration is taking place? e.g. increased fuel consumption, rough engine running, stop/start inoperative? Hopefully there is, otherwise it’s pretty poor on the part of VW not to include such information. In the absence of GPF information in the manual (or elsewhere for that matter), customers could think there’s something wrong with their car when an active GPF regeneration is triggered - e.g. rough running, poor fuel consumption, increased engine noise, stop/start inactive.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Poor fuel consumption during GPF regen is a hell of a lot more pronounced than DPF regen. My old MK7 GTD used to see a 10% drop in fuel economy during a regen. On the wife's GTI+ its anound a third (33%), but hopefully much less frequent (the first coming in at 4k miles).
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Fuel consumption and gpf regeneration

Post by Gueron »

Hi all,

I am in petrol ("gasoline") particle filter regeneration now for over 300 miles and it is starting to annoy me !
I mostly do short trips and have managed very good fuel economy (above 60mpg) on my first 4500 miles
with my 1.0tsi 95hp engine. When regeneration started I thought something was wrong, the car kept
telling me to change down rather than up, loss of power, high revs at standstill, etc. After looking at
the handbook and internet I learned that I had a gpf... No motorways close to home, and no desire to
just do a long run (for fun... but not very eco responsible...) I have just driven most of my usual trips,
but now I set the cruise control so the engine sorts out how to clear this, runs rich runs lean, I can see
the instantaneous fuel consumption and feel it.. At least twice a week I do a 20 mile round trip.

I expected regeneration to be over by now but its not the case. I reckon I am using 15 to 20% more fuel,
and if this goes on much more it will have been during perhaps 10% of total mileage which I find pretty
heavy. And during this time I cant drive my usual very low fuel way...

Any feedback from others on mileage to clear gpf regeneration ? In how many miles will it restart ?
Perhaps could be set-off due to higher fuel usage in winter and fewer longer drives during xmas ?..
I checked the fault codes (VCDS) and nothing shows. My oil level is good, battery charge good, start stop
works fine..

Oh And now I guess this is why since new the car always runs at 1400 revs/min at start for first
few hundred metres even when the engine is warm, to get the exhaust temperature up and reduce
particle emissions, which I had always found to be strange on a petrol engine.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

Just wanted to add my GTI+ has reached 2k miles this week. Just filled up a full tank of BP 95.

Engine today didn't feel smooth whilst driving today and fuel consumption for same route to work was down to under 30mpg. Normally get mid to high 30s

When I arrived at work there was a burning smell. It's the same type of smell I got from my Leon FR TDI when the engine was running an active regen of the DPF

I suspect this was the car trying to deal with some form of regen on the GPF

Has anyone else noticed a burning smell?

Exhaust sounded a lot louder too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monty831 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 pm Just wanted to add my GTI+ has reached 2k miles this week. Just filled up a full tank of BP 95.

Engine today didn't feel smooth whilst driving today and fuel consumption for same route to work was down to under 30mpg. Normally get mid to high 30s

When I arrived at work there was a burning smell. It's the same type of smell I got from my Leon FR TDI when the engine was running an active regen of the DPF

I suspect this was the car trying to deal with some form of regen on the GPF

Has anyone else noticed a burning smell?

Exhaust sounded a lot louder too

Worth having a read through this discussion thread;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73177
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

Thank you mate. That thread explains a lot and does appear my car went through this today

Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

It is very rare that my Polo drops below 60 mpg per tank, it did hit 58 mpg and 59 mpg in January during cold spells but it is back up to 61 mpg for the last fill. Motorway driving over 55 mph hits mpg big time. Hills are okay, traffic is not.
Jsyjames
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI 2016

Post by Jsyjames »

Hi,

So I have a 2016 Polo GTI, it seems have a really low MPG. I live in jersey Channel Islands which there is a lot of slow moving traffic on morning and evening commutes. I also drive when there is barely anyone on the roads but still get the same result of about 30 MPG. I just think the fuel goes way too fast but I do understand it’s a GTI. Tyre pressures are all about 35 PSI at the moment.

Also to add our speed limit is 40mph due to the islands only being 9 by 5 miles in size.

Please can someone give me some advice on this?

Thanks
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Jsyjames wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:11 pm Hi,

So I have a 2016 Polo GTI, it seems have a really low MPG. I live in jersey Channel Islands which there is a lot of slow moving traffic on morning and evening commutes. I also drive when there is barely anyone on the roads but still get the same result of about 30 MPG. I just think the fuel goes way too fast but I do understand it’s a GTI. Tyre pressures are all about 35 PSI at the moment.

Also to add our speed limit is 40mph due to the islands only being 9 by 5 miles in size.

Please can someone give me some advice on this?

Thanks
Hi Jsyjames; welcome to the forum.

As your car is the previous generation Polo GTI, it would be better if you posted on the mk8/mk9 6r/6c forum board.

I also have a 2016 Polo GTI with the 6 speed manual gearbox. In my opinion, Jersey doesn’t offer you the best driving conditions for good fuel consumption. If you car’s the 6 speed manual version, I’d say it’s unlikely you get many - if any - opportunities to use 6th gear. Also, with Jersey being such a small island, I’d anticipate that many of your journeys will be short, with your car’s engine not having the chance to get up to the optimum operating temperature, and on short journeys with a cold engine, you won’t see very good mpg; 30 mpg is probably a realistic figure.

I don’t regularly check my fuel consumption, and don’t often drive the types of journeys that you’ll be driving, so difficult to compare my fuel consumption with yours. My car returns a fuel consumption of low 30’s if I drive in inner city areas during periods of heavy traffic, and on UK A roads, just going with the flow of the traffic without many overtaking opportunities, mid 40’s is achievable. On a 300+ miles round trip a couple of years a go when I took a friend to the airport, I achieved a shade under 48mpg. The best I’ve seen is just over 50 mpg - although that was a really frustrating journey! My long term average fuel consumption on the car’s fuel computer is currently showing between 41 and 42 mpg.

In your position, I’d be looking for an opportunity to bring the car over to the UK or to go over to Europe so you give yourself an opportunity to enjoy driving it as it’s meant to be driven, and you should also see a useful improvement in fuel consumption too.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Normall Get about mid 30's in my Gti , but if i do the round trip to football its better, the car has only done 700 odd miles still tho...
IMG_1506.jpeg
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

I compared the computer calculated consumption to the real consumption ( at the gas station).
Speed:100 KMH Trip: 70 KM.
Computer: 17 KML.
Pump: 15 KML.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

From experience so far in my case, it's always at + 0.5l the difference between the reality of consumption for the onboard computer at least.