Fuel consumption

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by Adam_013 »

monkeyhanger wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:41 pm
silverhairs wrote:Getting back to fuel consumption, my 115 bhp SEL just did just over 200 miles round trip to my daughters over the weekend, when I fill up I always do it neck to neck for a more accurate reading, the cars done 748 miles and I got 49.1 MPG. I was keeping to the speed limit where possible, and did both ways in about 1.75 hours, the traffic wasn't too bad. Wonder if I will see any difference once I get to the magical mileage of 1000 Kilometres members talk about?
As for members reporting what the computer tells them, I was in a hired Peugeot and was going down hill with my foot off the throttle and I got an indicated 997 MPG, cheaper than a hybrid car [emoji38]
I found mines got worse! A week after I first got mine I went from Suffolk to Bristol and got 64.7 average indicated... I'm now on 9500 and it's down to about 57.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
When did you get yours though? If that first week was in warm weather, and now we're in Winter, you will see a difference.
I got it in the end of July, when going again at the end of August it was lower still... Could be down to AC I guess too.

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'd say my fuel consumption is worse than when I first got it too.
Could be colder weather, could be I'm just subconsciously driving it that bit harder because it doesn't feel new any more.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

@silverhairs
Interested to see if the average display on your car matches your manual calculation?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:@silverhairs
Interested to see if the average display on your car matches your manual calculation?
I've found it's not far off... My best run to date was 440 miles on a tank... Computer said something like 55 and it was actually 52. Something like that anyway, it was only 2-3 mpg out..

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:51 pm @silverhairs
It won't, but it's not miles out. It overstates by about 5%.

Don't forget that you have to be consistent with the way you fill doing the brim method. Always to the first click on the pump or always to properly fuĺl (After the foaming dies down).
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm I'd say my fuel consumption is worse than when I first got it too.
Could be colder weather, could be I'm just subconsciously driving it that bit harder because it doesn't feel new any more.
The days are shorter so you may have lights on more often, the air is colder and hence denser, and the engine takes longer to warm up. I get 10% worse mpg in winter compared to summer. Same with my last two cars.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:03 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm I'd say my fuel consumption is worse than when I first got it too.
The days are shorter so you may have lights on more often, the air is colder and hence denser, and the engine takes longer to warm up. I get 10% worse mpg in winter compared to summer. Same with my last two cars.
Cold, dense air is better for engines though.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

I've no complaints re MPG - it shows roughly 45 on local runs and the other day taking it steady at 60 on the motorway an indicated 72 mpg - I know these figure are only a snapshot by the computer but they seem about right. I've got the tyres pumped up to the full pressure 36 front 33 rear instead of the comfort settings which makes a hard and bumpy ride but maybe pays off in economy. I think the TSI engine is far more efficient than conventional 4 cylinder non turbo if you drive it carefully.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Sooo here we go 12 months and 24000km later with manual GTI. I was expecting it to be higher :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot_20191221-162251_Drivvo.jpg
Screenshot_20191221-160808_Drivvo.jpg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:19 pm Sooo here we go 12 months and 24000km later with manual GTI. I was expecting it to be higher :mrgreen:
That's 34.7mpg in UK measurements.

My 2018 DSG variant has averaged 33mpg over 11500 miles (18500km) and it is markedly more powerful and responsive than my wife's 2019 model with a GPF/OPF.

Mpg completely depends on your driving style and congestion.

My commute is 13 miles long, traffic is awful for the middle 3 Miles. On a really bad day, it can be as low as 28mpg. On a pretty empty commute (Like yesterday - so many people off work yesterday), I had 38mpg.

Recently I have taken a different route home, it's 15 miles (2 miles longer), and I'm consistently getting 36-38mpg when the other way would be 32mpg.

I had a job Interview Wednesday afternoon, it was 32 miles home (so doubling my commute) on busy but flowing dual carriageway that lets me average 60mph/97kmph - I got 47mpg, despite a 10mph crawl for 3 miles (they're putting a massive flyover in to go straight over the roundabout that serves the Sunderland Nissan plant).

I have been offered the job! 😀
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Best of luck with your new job, Monkeyhanger.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

My fuel consumption has gotten terrible in the last few days, like really bad. I generally average around 8ltr/100km...today it was between 14 and 16. 2 other things I've noticed, start-stop is not kicking in at all and the soundaktor is really loud on all settings...could the 3 things be related? How long does the GPF regen take?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fletch555 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 pm My fuel consumption has gotten terrible in the last few days, like really bad. I generally average around 8ltr/100km...today it was between 14 and 16. 2 other things I've noticed, start-stop is not kicking in at all and the soundaktor is really loud on all settings...could the 3 things be related? How long does the GPF regen take?
If your consumption has dived 30%+ and the car is running loud, then I'd say you've definitely got a forced regen going on (or a fuel leak and a banana up your exhaust!). For my wife, her mpg was dire going to and from work (8 miles each way). How long is your average journey?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rocky5 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:45 pm Best of luck with your new job, Monkeyhanger.
I should be working from home 2 days a week once settled in, so fuel costs for the commute should still be reasonable, but I could get used to a 46mpg average.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:07 pm
fletch555 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 pm My fuel consumption has gotten terrible in the last few days, like really bad. I generally average around 8ltr/100km...today it was between 14 and 16. 2 other things I've noticed, start-stop is not kicking in at all and the soundaktor is really loud on all settings...could the 3 things be related? How long does the GPF regen take?
If your consumption has dived 30%+ and the car is running loud, then I'd say you've definitely got a forced regen going on (or a fuel leak and a banana up your exhaust!). For my wife, her mpg was dire going to and from work (8 miles each way). How long is your average journey?
Most of my journeys during the week wouldn't be much more than 5 - 10k. Most weekends I do a long journey though. This is the first time it's happened in over 10,000km. How long does the regen take. The noise seems to be coming from the soundaktor though..