Do I have cruise or not?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Do I have cruise or not?

Post by Andy Beats »

My Beats has what appears to be cruise control controls on the left hand stalk.
Set +/-, resume/cancel etc.
But, as far as I can see, it's only a speed limiter.
I just checked the standard spec online and no mention of a speed limiter function at all.
However, under 'optional extras' it mentions 'cruise control with speed limiter'
If it's got cruise, I'm damned if I know how to set it, I could only get the utterly pointless speed limiter function to work.

EDIT, found a previous post from another owner clarifying it's just a speed limiter. :roll:
I can't delete the post, mods can delete if you please.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Do I have cruise or not?

Post by SRGTD »

What information does the owners manual include for activating/deactivating cruise control? If you follow the owners manual, are you able to set cruise control?

This Polo Beats is currently for sale on VW’s website. The spec details states it has optional cruise control (not the adaptive version), and the buttons can be seen on the left hand spoke of the steering wheel to set it.

Think me posting this coincided with your edit to your original post!
Attachments
6269BADE-C812-47AC-834D-BDE814515DD7.jpeg
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Definitely looks like it's just a speed limiter.
Which is odd, never come across that before.
Utterly useless feature.
God knows why there is a 'resume' function on a speed limiter.....
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 pm Definitely looks like it's just a speed limiter.
Which is odd, never come across that before.
Utterly useless feature.
God knows why there is a 'resume' function on a speed limiter.....
The resume function is in case you have to stamp your foot on the accelerator in case of emergency, the vehicle deactivates the function automatically.

Personally I use the speed limiter a lot as they have started introducing a good number of time over distance cameras in my area on A and B roads some of which are several miles long. I think they are copying the A9 up your neck of the woods.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm confused about how a speed limiter works in relation to throttle position though.
With cruise control, the ECU will hold the car at the desired speed with the minimum of throttle.
When i tried the speed limiter yesterday, I was able to use the full movement of the throttle with the car, obviouisly, not going any faster.
So does throttle movement become irrelevant once you hit that speed?
Or are you potentially using far too large a throttle opening and wasting fuel?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

As far as I know the throttle position does not matter once it goes beyond the position for the required speed unless you stamp it fully down which switches off the limiter. I assume it does not use additional fuel as the engine management system takes control of that side of things.
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

The stalk / controls you see is for setting a visual / audio speed limit warning to ping a message on the dash that you’ve gone above your set warning limit.

Doesn’t cut the throttle / prevent you from going past the limit as far as I’m aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I had this argument because the dealer thought it was cruise... Something I asked for...

Cruise can be on the stalk but there is an additional button on the stalk to switch between speed limiter and cruise... If you don't have the button, it's only speed limiter.

You may find there's a button under the accelerator pedal which overrides this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Chungster wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:58 pm The stalk / controls you see is for setting a visual / audio speed limit warning to ping a message on the dash that you’ve gone above your set warning limit.

Doesn’t cut the throttle / prevent you from going past the limit as far as I’m aware.

It definitely actually holds the car back from going any faster.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:00 pm I had this argument because the dealer thought it was cruise... Something I asked for...

Cruise can be on the stalk but there is an additional button on the stalk to switch between speed limiter and cruise... If you don't have the button, it's only speed limiter.

You may find there's a button under the accelerator pedal which overrides this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, you're right.
Dammit...
To be honest I can't recall of the dealer said one way or the other, I maybe just 'assumed' the +/-/resume buttons meant it had cruise.
Bugger.
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Do I have cruise or not?

Post by Chungster »

Andy Beats wrote:
Chungster wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:58 pm The stalk / controls you see is for setting a visual / audio speed limit warning to ping a message on the dash that you’ve gone above your set warning limit.

It definitely actually holds the car back from going any faster.
Oh right - mines not set so not actually tested it. My old A3 had it and was just a warning - didn’t hold the throttle back from memory.

vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Having a speed limiter contributes to the 'Safety Assist' score with EuroNCAP, which is why virtually every new car model has them as standard (they're also standard on the Ibiza, the Ford Fiesta, etc).

It does feel damn cheap of VW to not include cruise. It's literally just about adding a few buttons to the MFSW. When even the 'luxurious' SEL doesn't have standard cruise you do have to wonder! And then charging £600 for ACC, when the hardware is mostly already in place... while it's a far cheaper option on other VAG cars, some of which don't even have the Front Assist sensor as standard! The Fabia has it at £380 on the SE model, which has a speed limiter and front assist sensor but no proper cruise.

This is one of the major reasons why I've ordered a Seat! I've got a car coming with everything I wanted (and more), yet for thousands less than an appropriately specced Polo.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

vc-10 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm Having a speed limiter contributes to the 'Safety Assist' score with EuroNCAP, which is why virtually every new car model has them as standard (they're also standard on the Ibiza, the Ford Fiesta, etc).

It does feel damn cheap of VW to not include cruise. It's literally just about adding a few buttons to the MFSW. When even the 'luxurious' SEL doesn't have standard cruise you do have to wonder! And then charging £600 for ACC, when the hardware is mostly already in place... while it's a far cheaper option on other VAG cars, some of which don't even have the Front Assist sensor as standard! The Fabia has it at £380 on the SE model, which has a speed limiter and front assist sensor but no proper cruise.

This is one of the major reasons why I've ordered a Seat! I've got a car coming with everything I wanted (and more), yet for thousands less than an appropriately specced Polo.
As far as i know sensor for acc and front assisst is not same but I will be sure in morning when I will get to my computer
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I know on the Fabia the sensor itself is the same, however they do have different ABS modules. Would be surprised if it was any different on other VAG products.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm This is one of the major reasons why I've ordered a Seat! I've got a car coming with everything I wanted (and more), yet for thousands less than an appropriately specced Polo.
Funnily enough, I just noticed a nice Seat Ibiza deal yesterday and a mate is going for it.
£182 down and £182 a month.
Same engine as mine, not sure if it has cruise though.
I do feel a bit cheated having the speed limiter only, but my own stupid fault for assuming the controls that look like cruise control aren't actually cruise control...I mean, why would they be.... :roll: