Variable wiper control

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Variable wiper control

Post by Muldoon »

Hi

I wondered what the exact use of the thumbwheel on the wiper arm with the 'raindrop' symbols is for? I thought it just varied the amount of time for the intermittent delay as on many other cars, however I have noticed that the wipers seem to have a mind of their own and sometimes stop working when I slow down or stop at a junction then resume as you speed up again.

Anyone else noticed this? I guess the control is a more fancy version which somehow measures the amount of moisture on the screen and changes the speed like fully automatic wipers instead of adjustable intermittent delay - if you could leave it on this setting and just let the computer switch them on and off as needed.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Variable wiper control

Post by alexperkins »

The dial adjusts how sensitive the rain sensor is (if fitted). Turned fully to the right is the most sensitive in auto mode (one notch up). Turned fully to the left is the least sensitive. Otherwise, it just controls the intermittent delay between wipes

And yes when stopping at a junction theyll slow/stop, then when you start moving theyll reactivate :)
Muldoon
Getting There!

Post by Muldoon »

alexperkins wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 am The dial adjusts how sensitive the rain sensor is. Turned fully to the right is the most sensitive in auto mode (one notch up). Turned fully to the left is the least sensitive.

And yes when stopping at a junction theyll slow/stop, then when you start moving theyll reactivate :)
Cheers - didn't realise they were auto wipers, thought just variable intermittent on the SE - will give it a try just leaving it on this setting.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

SE doesnt have a rain sensor by default, but yours may have it as an option.

Easiest way to tell is look where the mirror mounts on the outside of the windscreen and pop a photo up - we can confirm it :)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Assume they operate the same on the current Polo as they do on the previous generation Polo.

On my car (previous generation Polo GTI) if you come to a stop and you’ve got your wipers switched on, they switch to the next setting down - e.g. if they’re on the slower of the two continuous speeds, they switch to intermittent, and if on intermittent, they stop. This is because you rarely need the wipers to operate as fast or as frequently when you’re stationary as you do when you’re moving. It also helps preserve the life of your wiper blades by not wiping as often (or at all) on the screen while you’re stopped, and the screen is unlikely to be getting as wet as it is when the car’s moving in rainy/wet conditions.

It should be explained in your owners manual under ‘Windscreen wipers -> Functions’. Not the most exciting read, but there’s some useful stuff in there 🙂.
Muldoon
Getting There!

Post by Muldoon »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am Assume they operate the same on the current Polo as they do on the previous generation Polo.

On my car (previous generation Polo GTI) if you come to a stop and you’ve got your wipers switched on, they switch to the next setting down - e.g. if they’re on the slower of the two continuous speeds, they switch to intermittent, and if on intermittent, they stop. This is because you rarely need the wipers to operate as fast or as frequently when you’re stationary as you do when you’re moving. It also helps preserve the life of your wiper blades by not wiping as often (or at all) on the screen while you’re stopped, and the screen is unlikely to be getting as wet as it is when the car’s moving in rainy/wet conditions.

It should be explained in your owners manual under ‘Windscreen wipers -> Functions’. Not the most exciting read, but there’s some useful stuff in there 🙂.
Cool - thanks! Will dig out the manual from under the passenger seat and read up, sounds quite a clever system if true.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Muldoon wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am and sometimes stop working when I slow down or stop at a junction then resume as you speed up again.
I think this might be some daft EU regulation.
The way I go home, I have to go into a slip road to turn right across two lane of traffic.
So I'm more or less facing the oncoming traffic.
When I stop, the wipers stop (various cars).
Which means, if it's raining, I have to select a different setting to get the wipers going again so i can see when it's safe to cross.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Not sure about UK polos but my czech polo can disable automatic wipers in car settings and use that thumbwheel for delaying cycles as in older cars. .... also automatic wipers seems to be way to sensitive even in lowest settings :roll:
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Why on earth would wiper speeds be an EU regulation? :?

Anyway, VW Group stuff has done this for a while, my mum had a 2014 Superb which did this. It doesn't actually stop, I'm pretty sure that on the longest interval it just extends the interval further.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

vc-10 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am Why on earth would wiper speeds be an EU regulation? :? snip ------- snip
Is that not what keeps the EU people in Brussels busy, sounds a bit like one of their scams. (though I'm not a leaver, I'd rather stay in and change the greedy way they do things!)