Washer jets and wiper blades

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Washer jets and wiper blades

Post by Muldoon »

Hi

Has anyone adjusted the windscreen washer jets? They are a very fine mist type not seen this before. The driver's side seems to just spray onto the roof :roll: . I had a quick look and can see a round part and a small rectangle next to it, about USB size. Doesn't seem to be an obvious small hole to use a pin to adjust unless you can rotate the round nozzle. I know it's a very fine adjustment and can take ages to get just right... :x

Also does anyone have the size / code ref for the front wipers - thinking of swapping the original spec as now constantly missing/ smearing a patch right in the middle of the driver's vision on the down sweep which is very annoying. Expect Bosch the only option readily available.

Thanks.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Washer jets and wiper blades

Post by alexperkins »

I would pop to your local dealer and ask them to do it. They have a special tool to adjust them correctly. Done incorrectly, it can damage the jets irreversibly

Dealer price is £33.95 for a set of wipers - 2G2 998 002 A

Bosch ones - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-A864S-Ae ... ords=a864s
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Just bought a set of Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades for my previous generation Polo; £16.94 including free delivery from B and B Components on Amazon. Ordered Wednesday and received yesterday, so good service as well as good price!

These are the A864S aerotwin blades that are listed by that seller (B and B Components) for the current model Polo. £18.21 with free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-A864S-Ae ... _4%3ABosch
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine don't need adjusted, but I wish they worked faster.
When you ask for water from my wife's Sportage, the spray is instant.
When I ask for spray from the Polo, there's a second or two delay - annoying.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Your right about the delay, when you ask for the spray it tends to dribble think about it then blast away.
When I've looked at the VW information you tube they tell you to put the wipers in the maintenance position before lifting off the screen? but mine just lift off without touching the bonnet or anything.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:56 pm Your right about the delay, when you ask for the spray it tends to dribble think about it then blast away.
When I've looked at the VW information you tube they tell you to put the wipers in the maintenance position before lifting off the screen? but mine just lift off without touching the bonnet or anything.
Ha, are you saying that VW has removed the need to move the wipers to the maintenance position, (needing to do that is a nuisance), and forgotten to update the handbooks - no surprise there.

That sort of thing first happened to me when I bought a 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 - but I quickly discovered the easy fix was to fit the wiper arms from the later model - VW Group seemed to take to this like a duck to water and insisted it was beneficial for air flow (and not a design mess up), now I understand that being true for cars that park their wipers, when switch off, low down and out of driver's sight low down on the screen, but I was never convinced of that on cars that leave their wipers parked at all times higher up the screen.

Edit:- a delay on screen washer fluid delivery smacks of a lack of any one way valves in the pipe lines.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I need to put mine in the maintenance position.. I'm on my 3rd pair of wipers due to the juddering I get. I believe due to a film being left on my windscreen when it was delivered, and never cleaned...

I also wish the washers would activate and do only one sweep when released quickly., just to clear the crap off of the windscreen... The Corsa vans do this, why can't a polo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

One thing with the old car, when you used the screen wash the wipers do about 4 sweeps, then a couple of seconds later do one more sweep.

Just been out to the car and lifted the wiper arms off the screen, with the wiper arms of the screen by 90 degrees there is about half inch gap between the base of the arm and the bonnet. I cannot see why you would have to do the maintenance bit just to get the arms in the middle of the screen. Go outside and see if I'm correct?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

silverhairs wrote:One thing with the old car, when you used the screen wash the wipers do about 4 sweeps, then a couple of seconds later do one more sweep.

Just been out to the car and lifted the wiper arms off the screen, with the wiper arms of the screen by 90 degrees there is about half inch gap between the base of the arm and the bonnet. I cannot see why you would have to do the maintenance bit just to get the arms in the middle of the screen. Go outside and see if I'm correct?
I have just done this, I'm yet again polishing my windscreen due to judder and thought I'd try it... I was wrong! You can indeed just 'flick um up'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Luckily my wipers both front and rear don't judder, and I have already purchased a set of Bosch aero twin A864S and A282H for the rear, just in case :?: Still they can go in stock, they won't eat anything.
I've also purchased a dash cam and Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs, which I will fit when I get round to it :) .
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm getting judder in the cold weather.
I've usually changed to Bosch aerotwin by now anyway, I'll get it done ASAP.
NKJE13
New
Drives: SEL

Post by NKJE13 »

I recently just picked up my new Polo and unfortunately mine also has a slight delay,however I found this is the same in my mum's Beetle.
I may be wrong and it may be because I'm used to how my previous car worked,but I find that when I do use the screen wash,it only seems to reach the bottom half of the windscreen. Is this normal? I have always know car washer jets to be a lot more powerful and spray up to roof height. Could this be a fault?
Any help would be fab! Thank you :D
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Because of the spray pattern, it's not just a case of getting a needle and bring the jets up or down, you'll only mess them up.