Winter tires on Brescia

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Winter tires on Brescia

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Hi guys.

Since I'll be leasing for a period of two years I'm searching for great bang for the bucks wintertires for my Polo GTI?

I'm planing on using them on the Brescia rims.

Does anyone know what kind of tires it is? Is it 225/35-R18?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Winter tires on Brescia

Post by Andy Beats »

Don't know about the size, but I always buy my winter tyres used.
Ebay is a great source, there are umpteen tyre suppliers on there.
Some real bargains.
For example, my wife's Sportage uses 19" tyres that would cost £200 each new for a decent brand (my preferred brand being Pirelli Sottozero).
I got a pair of tyres of the correct size off ebay, with 7mm of tread (so almost new) for £120.00
Even with £30 of fitting, quids in.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am Hi guys.

Since I'll be leasing for a period of two years I'm searching for great bang for the bucks wintertires for my Polo GTI?

If you’re fitting them to your existing wheels, won’t they be the same size as the summer tyres fitted to your car when it was built?

I personally wouldn’t get winter tyres fitted to the Brescia alloys. With these wheels being diamond cut, there’s a high chance of damage to the wheels with tyres being removed and refitted twice a year. Diamond cut alloys are also susceptible to white worm corrosion, as the lacquered finish isn’t particularly durable - especially during the winter months. I’d buy a set of either powder coated alloys or steel wheels for the winter tyres. You can always sell your winter wheels + tyres to recoup some of the cost if they don’t fit your replacement car in a couple of years time.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

No problems with diamond cut wheels and winter tyres here, been doing it for years.
As for protection over winter, just put a good wheel sealant on.
I use Poorboys wheel sealant, then a spray of Gtechniq C2V3 over that as well.
Cleaning is easy, they stay looking mint.
Personally I can't stomach horrible wheels on a car over winter, I prefer to keep the looks of the proper ones.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

For "susceptible" to whiteworm, read "inevitable". Ironic thst my correctional software tried to change "whiteworm to "s**t storm"?

I hate diamond cut alloys. If you look after them with sealants, the whiteworm comes in just out of warranty. If you don't seal them then it comes in just after 2 years old (and under warranty).

If I keep the car long term and whiteworm kicks in after warranty then I'll be getting my Brescias powder coated (or if the missus scrapes a couple of wheels).
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Have a read through this guide I put together :D

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=71778
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am Hi guys.

I have same winter tyres as summer on brescia (215/40R18)
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:30 pm For "susceptible" to whiteworm, read "inevitable". Ironic thst my correctional software tried to change "whiteworm to "s**t"?

I hate diamond cut alloys. If you look after them with sealants, the whiteworm comes in just out of warranty. If you don't seal them then it comes in just after 2 years old (and under warranty).

If I keep the car long term and whiteworm kicks in after warranty then I'll be getting my Brescias powder coated (or if the missus scrapes a couple of wheels).
I hate diamond cut alloys with a passion! If manufacturers offered diamond cut and painted/powder coated wheel options, I’d always go for the painted/powder coated wheels. Two of the diamond cut alloys on my previous car (mk6 Golf GTD) suffered from white worm at 30 months old (they were replaced under warranty). That was in spite of regular washing (every 7-10 days), protecting with sealants and waxes, and repairing any stone chips as soon as they occurred with a clear lacquer touch up pen.

I swapped the diamond cut alloys on my current car with a set of powder coated alloys within 3-4 months of taking delivery of the car. Nearly 2.5 years later and having gone through the last two winters, plus the current winter, they still look as good as they did the day they went on the car.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I dont think the Brescias will look bad powder coated, the spokes are thin and look complex. Large flat surfaces like the Parker wheel has will not look as good painted in 1 colour rather than having the shadow effect that the black on polished alloy has.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 pm I dont think the Brescias will look bad powder coated, the spokes are thin and look complex. Large flat surfaces like the Parker wheel has will not look as good painted in 1 colour rather than having the shadow effect that the black on polished alloy has.
I'm not able to powder coat them since the car is leased. Still unsure what winter tyres to choose though
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 am I'm not able to powder coat them since the car is leased. Still unsure what winter tyres to choose though
Pirelli Sottozero for me every time, running them on the wife's Sportage right now.
HAd them for years on 3-series BMWs of different type, made them practically invincible in snow.
Only sheer depth of snow scraping the spoiler was the limit, traction never an issue.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

I've got a set of Hankook winter Icept RS2 fitted to 16 inch alloys - not been fully tested yet but snow expected this week...very impressive tread depth and grip. Will get the summers refitted in April, might buy a spare set of alloys or 16 inch steel wheels for the winter tyres to make it easier to swap them over next Autumn. Can't beat the grip and security in ice and snowy conditions, if you drive smoothly pretty much unstoppable.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

On my Polo, I've elected to try those Michelin Cross Climates.
No problems pulling away on my icy road this morning, no wheelspin at all.
And, of course, I can keep them on all year.
I can understand GTi drivers might not want to use all-season tyres though, doesn't go with the sporty image.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Muldoon wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:25 am I've got a set of Hankook winter Icept RS2 fitted to 16 inch alloys - not been fully tested yet but snow expected this week...very impressive tread depth and grip. Will get the summers refitted in April, might buy a spare set of alloys or 16 inch steel wheels for the winter tyres to make it easier to swap them over next Autumn. Can't beat the grip and security in ice and snowy conditions, if you drive smoothly pretty much unstoppable.
Same here! Looking forward to trying them as they have been rated as superb in snow.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 am On my Polo, I've elected to try those Michelin Cross Climates.
No problems pulling away on my icy road this morning, no wheelspin at all.
And, of course, I can keep them on all year.
I can understand GTi drivers might not want to use all-season tyres though, doesn't go with the sporty image.
VW in their infinite wisdom fitted touring tyres to both the 17" Parkers (Michelin Primacy) and 18" Brescias (Bridgestone Turanza). No sporty image tyres here unless you've swapped them out.

I've no steep banks on my commute, no rural roads and the roads are well salted (ok, doesn't help in 6 inches of snow).

Managed without Winter wheels so far, so I'm prepared to risk it for a few crappy days a year. The missus has the Golf R, so she's fine to get moving, ok to stop if she keeps a safe distance and stick the car in eco mode to blunt the throttle.

If I lived in the sticks or had to pass by a steep bank then I'd reconsider. Best time to buy Winter wheels is in the late spring/early Suumer. Sometimes the dealerships are looking to get rid of stock. Nearly bought a set for the A1 a few years ago. £400 for a set of VW/Audi 25" wheels on Michelin Alpin tyre that they'd been trying to sell for £875 a set. I'd go for a deal like that.