New car advice

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: New car advice

Post by SRGTD »

Cadwest wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 am @SRGTD one last thing what pre wash foam do you use, I’ve been using karchers but the last batch I got does not seem to foam up and cling to the car, it’s quite watery and seems to run off to freely. I have been using the more expensive karcher foam gun but also have the cheaper one as well but get the same result from both guns so I think it’s the pre wash foam rather than the gun.
I’m currently using Valet Pro PH Neutral snow foam. I don’t particularly like a snow foam that’s too thick. IMO if it’s a little bit runny, it’s doing what it’s intended to do; softening and loosening the dirt that’s attached to the paintwork and removing it as it runs off the paintwork. Ideally, it does need to be thick enough to dwell on the car for 5-10 minutes though.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 pm
Cadwest wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 am @SRGTD one last thing what pre wash foam do you use, I’ve been using karchers but the last batch I got does not seem to foam up and cling to the car, it’s quite watery and seems to run off to freely. I have been using the more expensive karcher foam gun but also have the cheaper one as well but get the same result from both guns so I think it’s the pre wash foam rather than the gun.
I’m currently using Valet Pro PH Neutral snow foam. I don’t particularly like a snow foam that’s too thick. IMO if it’s a little bit runny, it’s doing what it’s intended to do; softening and loosening the dirt that’s attached to the paintwork and removing it as it runs off the paintwork. Ideally, it does need to be thick enough to dwell on the car for 5-10 minutes though.
Cheers mate will give that a try, the karcher runs off the vehicle inside 60 seconds, to me it seems it’s not on the car long enough to work as it should.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

During the excitement of picking up a new car (for most, there are a few that are Indifferent to the experience of getting a new car), it's hard to see.the tiniest flaws.

You're more likely to see those the first time you wash or prep the car for sealant and scotchguarding the seating/carpets (or have a detailer do it).

You can catch the critical or later disputable stuff in 15-20 mins of looking over the interior and exterior (dents/scrapes/scratches/left over residues and films/making sure the doors/bonnet and boot open and close correctly.

At what point do you call time on the check? Comandeering the inspection bay for a look at the underside of the car? For me, jacking the car up to check for transport pucks in the highly unlikely scenario of a few being there at time of pick-up fall in the impractical category. If they have left them in, you should know within 20 miles of driving the car on the open road and the dealer isn't going to accuse you of putting them there yourself.

I have found stuff missed by PDI most notably a tiny crease on the wing where it meets the bumper, in parallel with the end edge, separated by 1mm, perfectly painted - so a factory defect. It looked like it was meant to be there until i'd seen the other wing. Also tiny bit of split stitching on a rear bench back rest when I was scotch guarding the seats on a 1999 Polo 1.4TDI, a few days after pick-up. No way I'd have spotted at collection. All indisputable under warranty.

You can easily visually check the obvious stuff in 20 mins. No need to be there 2 hours with your magnifying glass and jack.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Regarding your first comment monkeyhanger, I’m one of those who remain indifferent to a new car. They put mine under a blue sheet, and took a photo of me with it, on collection, which left me feeling embarrassed. I think they expected me to jump up and down with joy rather than stand around with an impassive expression. It’s just a car. Some of you lot would report me to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cars if such existed given that I hardly ever wash it, never use clay bars etc. Anyway, a thick layer of dirt acts as a protective coat: it prevents paint fade and minor scratches, and helps stop tar adhering.
moley
New
Drives: 1.0 SEL 115 DSG

Post by moley »

CP_Vaughny wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 pm Cheers guys, I'm doing some research into some local detailers and the coatings they offer. I'm purchasing car cleaning equipment and products so I can look after the cleaning of my car.

After posting this last night, this morning i got the notification to say it had left the factory and is in 'transit'. I'll contact my dealer on Monday to see if they have shipping info so I can be properly nerdy and track it all the way home.
Did you manage to get any shipping info on yours? VW wont tell me what ship mine is on - Mine leapfrogged to in transit at the same time as yours, so maybe they're on the same ship :)
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

moley wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:25 pm Did you manage to get any shipping info on yours? VW wont tell me what ship mine is on - Mine leapfrogged to in transit at the same time as yours, so maybe they're on the same ship :)
You have to get the info from your dealer now.

I haven't yet, the dealer messaged me first (for once) and told me he'd get back to me with the vessel name and linked marinetraffic.com. I haven't pressed him for a name yet but I have some time off early March that I'll want to move to give me some free time around my collection.
moley
New

Post by moley »

I've got to speak to the dealer anyway about getting a loan car, as my twingo has to go back to Renault on Friday, so will see if they have the shipping info.

Just hope our cars arrive before Brexit, or they might be held up at the port.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

moley wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:10 pm I've got to speak to the dealer anyway about getting a loan car, as my twingo has to go back to Renault on Friday, so will see if they have the shipping info.
How was the Twingo?
I nearly looked at one of the sporty ones before going for the Polo.
Rave reviews.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Twingo - interesting if you like a small town car, rear engine keeps the spirit of the Hillman Imp alive. Very small turning circle. Probably more interesting than a KA+ / UP / 107.

Washing cars - just a bucket of soapy water when the weather permits. It's hopeless trying to keep white silver colour clean... :roll:

New car excitement - tends to disappear after 3 weeks I just get in and drive. Only rule is try to avoid kerbing the alloys.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:15 pm Regarding your first comment monkeyhanger, I’m one of those who remain indifferent to a new car. They put mine under a blue sheet, and took a photo of me with it, on collection, which left me feeling embarrassed. I think they expected me to jump up and down with joy rather than stand around with an impassive expression. It’s just a car.
Same here.
I was dreading collection of my car as the dealer tends to post 'collection photos' on their social media site.
Cringe.
I didn't give them time to ask, I just grabbed the keys and said "I've got to go"
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I don't go in for all that pomp where they try to "present" you with the car as if they're giving it to you for free, but I do enjoy getting a new car, the new tech, potentially more go...It's not just a tool to me, I buy cars I'll enjoy driving, and look forward to receiving them.

I don't go through all the controls with whoever is handing it over, I'm on my 9th VW and they're evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, so always feel familiar to drive.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 pm I don't go through all the controls with whoever is handing it over, .
Wife's Captur was bought from Renault Watford.
My flight from Aberdeen to Heathrow was supposed to depart at 0630, I was still in Aberdeen at 1200 :evil: (yes I did get compensation).
So there's me already running 6 hours late and still facing a drive Watford to Aberdeen.
Which i'd hoped to make in daylight, but was going to be largely darkness now.
You can imagine how long the salesman's demo of the controls seemed to take....... :( :roll:
I was home just after midnight.
moley
New

Post by moley »

Twingo is quite nice. I did test drive the Up! as well, but at the time i ordered mine, the up wasn't available with the TSI engine so was way too slow for me - I think the Twingo was the fastest car in its class when I ordered.

If the TSI had been available in the up, i probably would have gone for that as the fit & finish of the inside felt much better. i test drove a top spec one, and I was really impressed with how all the knobs & switches felt, it was just really nice on the inside.

Reasons I'm not keeping the Twingo:
1) I want/need an automatic now, as I'm lazy and I've got a really bad back
2) It broke down on me twice in the space of a month last year - that was it for me!
3) The Renault dealer (Hendy, formerly Lifestyle in Brighton) are awful - my Twingo was delayed by 2.5 months, and the dealer flat out refused to lend me a car even though I was borrowing my mums at the time as mine had been written off

There are a couple of annoyances in the Twingo, like the touchscreen infotainment system having a life of its own, switching between sources and stuff at random, and the storage bin in the front wasn't changed for right hand drive cars so it intrudes into the drivers leg space.

The thing I will really miss about it the most is its smallness - its comically easy to park (so easy that for the first few days I had it i kept ballsing it up as I came from a pug 407)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

moley wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 pm Twingo is quite nice. I did test drive the Up! as well, but at the time i ordered mine, the up wasn't available with the TSI engine so was way too slow for me - I think the Twingo was the fastest car in its class when I ordered.

If the TSI had been available in the up, i probably would have gone for that as the fit & finish of the inside felt much better. i test drove a top spec one, and I was really impressed with how all the knobs & switches felt, it was just really nice on the inside.

Reasons I'm not keeping the Twingo:
1) I want/need an automatic now, as I'm lazy and I've got a really bad back
2) It broke down on me twice in the space of a month last year - that was it for me!
3) The Renault dealer (Hendy, formerly Lifestyle in Brighton) are awful - my Twingo was delayed by 2.5 months, and the dealer flat out refused to lend me a car even though I was borrowing my mums at the time as mine had been written off

There are a couple of annoyances in the Twingo, like the touchscreen infotainment system having a life of its own, switching between sources and stuff at random, and the storage bin in the front wasn't changed for right hand drive cars so it intrudes into the drivers leg space.

The thing I will really miss about it the most is its smallness - its comically easy to park (so easy that for the first few days I had it i kept ballsing it up as I came from a pug 407)
We've had a couple of Renaults, a Clio and a Captur.
Actual reliability was fine, neither let us down at all.
But build quality, especially on the Captur, was very iffy.
It was hard to believe our Captur and Juke were sister cars, they were light years apart in build quality, very much in favour of the Sunderland built Juke.
moley
New

Post by moley »

This is my second (and probably last) Reanult. I had a 2003 megane years ago, and that ended in a cloud of smoke at the side of the dual carriage way.

Since my Twingo has left me waiting on a tow from the RAC twice, I'm not wanting to give them a third chance.

Which engine did you get in your Captur? When my Twingo broke down, I got told I wasn't alone with the fault by the dealer - It was the dephaser valve...or dephasing valve (whatever its called) making the VVT not work correctly. Mine is the 900cc turbo