New car advice

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
moley
New
Drives: 1.0 SEL 115 DSG

Re: New car advice

Post by moley »

Updated to stage 7 a couple of days ago. Can't wait to pick it up. No eta from the dealer yet though. The salesman doesn't seem to be in a massive hurry - would have thought he'd be in more of a rush since I'm currently pumping miles onto his demonstrator!
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

Car collection day tomorrow, thanks for all your advice!
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

I will collect mine on Thursday if everything goes as planned. The car should have got to the dealership today, but I haven't heard from my salesman since Thursday when he called to tell me that the car is in Poland and is scheduled for transport from central stock. He said that they have a deal with logistics service and all the cars are to be delivered within 3 days. It'll be almost exactly half a year. I ordered on 15/09.
moley
New
Drives: 1.0 SEL 115 DSG

Post by moley »

Picked mine up today. Really happy, it's such a nice little car :D

Does everyone get a presentation box for their key, or did the sales man just think I'm pretty? (Didn't get any such treatment from the Renault dealer when I correct my previous car)
CP_Vaughny
New

Post by CP_Vaughny »

moley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm Picked mine up today. Really happy, it's such a nice little car :D

Does everyone get a presentation box for their key, or did the sales man just think I'm pretty? (Didn't get any such treatment from the Renault dealer when I correct my previous car)
Happy driving!

I got a presentation box with a metal VW keyring and a VW branded travel mug.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

CP_Vaughny wrote:
moley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm Picked mine up today. Really happy, it's such a nice little car :D

Happy driving!

I got a presentation box with a metal VW keyring and a VW branded travel mug.
I just about got a key [emoji23][emoji23]

I wasn't even offered a drink, let alone a travel mug.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Is there any kind of ceremony to it, like an unveiling of the car?
CP_Vaughny
New

Post by CP_Vaughny »

peeceeuk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 pm Is there any kind of ceremony to it, like an unveiling of the car?
I imagine this depends on the dealership. My car was in the showroom, no covers, the dealer said they'd brought it indoors for the handover because the weather was miserable.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

CP_Vaughny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 pm Is there any kind of ceremony to it, like an unveiling of the car?
I imagine this depends on the dealership. My car was in the showroom, no covers, the dealer said they'd brought it indoors for the handover because the weather was miserable.
I wouldn’t want an unveiling ceremony; a prefer a very low key handover. Aside from the embarrassment of the unveiling ceremony, the cover they use is probably full of grit after the unveiling the previous car and the cover being dumped on the showroom floor. A nice gritty cover does wonders for a new car’s paintwork.

When I collected my car three years ago, it was from a warehouse type building behind the showroom; a very low profile handover which suited my just fine. I did get the metal VW key ring, a travel mug and a pen in a presentation box though.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

CP_Vaughny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 pm
Or lack of freebies might be that you screwed their margins hard for the deal you got.

My preferred salesman when buying locally used to give me "free" GAP from his company's margin because it netted him £60 on personal interest. On my Golf R deal, it pained him that he couldn't squeeze the "free" GAP in.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I ask because I've seen both the low key and unveiling affairs and just wondered how VW do it.
Are we settling on that it depends on the dealer?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

peeceeuk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 pm I ask because I've seen both the low key and unveiling affairs and just wondered how VW do it.
Are we settling on that it depends on the dealer?
I think it does depend on the dealer. If your dealer normally does the ‘grand unveiling’ and you want a low key handover, then you should make your salesperson aware of this; probably around the time that your car is delivered to the dealership.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I wasn't given the choice of a grand unveiling or low key.
My car was just sitting outside, nice and shiny, ready to drive off.
That's the option I'd have chosen anyway, not even remotely interested in an unveiling or my photo taken for their website.
I did get a nice presentation box with two fancy keyrings and an umbrella, I've no idea if this is standard VW practice or dealer specific.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06 pm I wasn't given the choice of a grand unveiling or low key.
My car was just sitting outside, nice and shiny, ready to drive off.
That's the option I'd have chosen anyway, not even remotely interested in an unveiling or my photo taken for their website.
I did get a nice presentation box with two fancy keyrings and an umbrella, I've no idea if this is standard VW practice or dealer specific.
Dealer specific- generous freebies usually means you haven't screwed them hard enough on the deal. Used to get a bunch of flowers from Benfield, which was gratefully received by the missus on pickup day- I'd have rather had an extra tenner's worth of fuel.

I once picked up a broker deal Golf from Lookers Burnley. The salesman tutted when someone had put the dealership keyring on each of the 2 car keys, and he tried to be subtle about removing one of them. When he handed me my car keys, I took the other keyring off, handed it to him and said " you really seem to want one of your own, here, have mine". He'd made me wait 90 mins because I was 5 mins late for my pickup appointment.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 pm Dealer specific- generous freebies usually means you haven't screwed them hard enough on the deal.
Screwed them as much as I could, given it was an advertised PCP deal.
Got two free services and a huge reduction in the GAP cost.