Dodgy Brakes

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
pologovnor
New
Drives: 1.0

Dodgy Brakes

Post by pologovnor »

Hiya,
Bought a new polo last year... downsized from a 1.7 Sportage to a 1.0 polo.

From day 1 there’s been a noise on my brakes. A high pitched squeal at very low speed, and a cluncking sound as the car comes to a complete stop. It also sounds as if the pads are rubbing on the discs and sounds like it makes contact every half turn. Again noticeable only at low speeds.

Took it to the garage after a month or so, and the engineer stayed that this was normal. I’ve never had a car make these noises before, but he’s the expert.

Noise has remained the entire time I’ve had the car (since July 18).

This week I had to perform an emergency stop. The car just did not want to stop, and certainly didn’t stop anywhere near as quickly as my old car. This subsequently caused me to almost collide with the car infront, where I avoided by swerving to the left. In turn hitting the car on my left, denting/scratching my car and scratching the other cars wheel arch.

Does anyone else have any issues with their brakes? I don’t profess to be the worlds best driver, but I am a good driver, IAM trained and drive professionally, so I know I can stop and my reaction times are good.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Dodgy Brakes

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you brake hard enough, the ABS should kick in - if you jumped on the brakes and the ABS didn't kick in (that gravelly feel through the brake pedal) then I'd say you have had a brake fault. Might be worth getting an independent reputable engineer to look at it if you believe the brakes were defective, directly attributable to the accident. Did this happen today, o what may just be the coldest day of Winter so far for most of us? Perhaps you hit a patch of ice when trying to brake?

The faults you describe in terms of noises sound like movement of the pads (a slight shuffling in their fixings) which VW consider normal at low speeds.
pologovnor
New
Drives: 1.0

Post by pologovnor »

Now you mention it I can’t remember feeling the abs judder. And no it happened on Tuesday, quite mild in comparison... no snow or ice around then
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

pologovnor wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 pm Now you mention it I can’t remember feeling the abs judder. And no it happened on Tuesday, quite mild in comparison... no snow or ice around then
If you braked as hard as you could and didn't set off the ABS, it's a fair bet your brakes are faulty. I don't suppose your car is dinged up enough to not drive as per pre-impact? By that I mean no damage to the wheels or impact that would have damaged the axles in any way. If your car is as functional as it was, i'd be getting the braking performance checked out by a independent Engineer or the likes of the AA/RAC. Your legal cover (If you have it on your insurance or you're a fully paid up member of a union) may be able to assist.

If you have dashcam footage to demonstrate you were maintaining a reasonable distance when you started braking, that would help any case too.

If you can demonstrate that your brakes are not performing as designed then you may be able to keep your no claims and make VW liable.
VWPOL0GTL
New
Drives: GTI

Post by VWPOL0GTL »

I have the exact same issue as you with the clunking on my new Polo GTI. Called two dealerships and I got told it’s normal. Haven’t seen any performance issues with the brakes, but I have yet to slam on my brakes. Will probably get it checked out after the break in period.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I have the 'clunk' when reversing mainly in the mornings but after having to do a few rather sharp anchorings they certainly do work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

A quick look at the pads would tell you if one side is wearing more than the other.
This would suggest a sticking caliper, which would certainly explain your lack of brake performance.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

FWIW I can feel the ABS cut in for all but gentle braking, I hear and feel a strange grinding which I take to be the brakes being applied in a pulse fashion. As monkeyhanger says, if you can prove the brakes are faulty, and have a record of asking the VW garage to look at them, then you may be able to argue negligence on their part, assuming you were keeping a good distance.
Tashy
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Tashy »

Hey there. Just reading your post and I can relate. I have the new 2018 gti. I have also had problems with squeaky and creaking brakes, I also had a slight clunk all happening when reversing up my drive at about 3/4 miles per hour (it’s quite narrow before anyone jokes) never happened when going forward. It’s been to the local dealership and it’s down to a build up of brake dust around the brake area. They also needed to bed the rear pads in as this was part of the issue!
I had a new handbrake cable fitted as well - I assume this was part of the clunking issue!
I hope you get to the bottom of it I know how annoying it is!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm FWIW I can feel the ABS cut in for all but gentle braking
That's not right, have you reported it?
I've only had the ABS cut in when the stupid anti-collision stuff decides I need a warning application of the brakes.
Never had it come on in normal driving, even in tricky conditions.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Leif wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm FWIW I can feel the ABS cut in for all but gentle braking
That's not right, have you reported it?
I've only had the ABS cut in when the stupid anti-collision stuff decides I need a warning application of the brakes.
Never had it come on in normal driving, even in tricky conditions.
I have, especially if the road is a bit icky.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I wonder what tyres you're both running?
There's only two things can make ABS cut in early.

1/ Poor tyre grip
2/ It's not working correctly.

I came off the standard tyres (Falken in my case) after only 70 miles and switched to Michelin Crossclimate.
Maybe this is why I've not noticed, my tyres are gripping better.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:I wonder what tyres you're both running?
There's only two things can make ABS cut in early.

1/ Poor tyre grip
2/ It's not working correctly.

I came off the standard tyres (Falken in my case) after only 70 miles and switched to Michelin Crossclimate.
Maybe this is why I've not noticed, my tyres are gripping better.
Personally, I've found the falken tyres terrible! Slightest patch of damp and there is no grip at all!

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 pm Personally, I've found the falken tyres terrible! Slightest patch of damp and there is no grip at all!
I've had good experiences with Falken before, but didn't have them on long enough to judge in the Polo.
Looks like you're either going to have to suffer the lack of grip until they wear out or change them. :(
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 pm Personally, I've found the falken tyres terrible! Slightest patch of damp and there is no grip at all!
I've had good experiences with Falken before, but didn't have them on long enough to judge in the Polo.
Looks like you're either going to have to suffer the lack of grip until they wear out or change them. :(
I'll wait till I end up in a hedge...