Raise the limit( not the Titanic)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Raise the limit( not the Titanic)

Post by barrywi »

Now that the speeds on motorways are being closely monitored by the “ Managed Motorways” cameras set to a maximum of 72 mph, can we have the speed limit raised to 80 ( 82) mph please?
The only ones getting away with speeding now are the cars with cloned number plates.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Raise the limit( not the Titanic)

Post by Leif »

Not a hope. We live in a right on PC scaredy cat world with simplistic “speed kills” views, no politician is going to increase speed limits. In my area speed limits are reducing, I think it’s the same everywhere. When Prince Phillip crashed due to poor observation, it was attributed to speeding even though the car that hit him was not speeding, and he was at fault. They were debating a speed limit reduction and the crash was the excuse they needed. And if you argue for increasing speed limits, you are labelled a far right racist bunny killing misogynist by the extremists. And sadly extremists are all too often the norm these days.

Anyway, do you really have access to a motorway where you can physically do 80 mph? Congestion is such that I don’t.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Yes I can as the M6 , M58 ,M65 and M61 in t’ North are barrier free ....so far. This is one of the many problems for those who live “Darn Sarf”.
I am no speeder but the “temporary “ 70 mph limit was set in the days of Ford Cortinas to save energy. Surely we have moved on from those days, although I still keep me ferrets down me trousers and like dripping butties. :D
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.
What does make me fume is motorists looking down at their mobiles when driving. Put the bloody phone down, your text is not that important.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:37 pm Speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.
What does make me fume is motorists looking down at their mobiles when driving. Put the bloody phone down, your text is not that important.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Totally agree johnpolo2. In spite of the penalties for using a mobile phone whilst at the wheel, I see lots of drivers doing it. No excuse and no need IMO.

My phone stays in my pocket when I’m in my car.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I had a breakdown a few years ago in rush hour (perfect timing...) and someone came up behind (in a Polo, actually), oblivious to the 4-ways being on and the open bonnet, and waited behind my broken Ford.

He was on FaceTime while driving....
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The one time i've had a speeding ticket was from one of those sneaky mobile units. I was caught doing 46 on a non-residential 30mph road that was a 50mph road. They'd changed the speed a week prior and were there 2 weeks solid to reap the rewards of people not realising the change. The van was parked illegally to hide quite effectively. What was the cause of this change in speed limit? A fatality - fair enough. So how did this fatality happen? A Police car ran a pedestrian over at 2am who was using a zebra crossing and the Police car was estimated to have been doing 73mph at the time, without it's blue lights on.

The mobile units have recently changed from very visible and obvious what they are to a shade of blue that British Gas vans use.

While there's money to be made, the councils and local police forces will fill their pockets by hook or by crook, yet have no presence on the road to catch people on their mobiles. Why is it punishable to be eating a banana at the wheel, but not to be smoking a tab and flicking your ash out of the window while driving.

If all speeding fines from these speed traps went to central government rather than being retained by local enforcement/councils the local police forces and counckls would soon.lose interest in hosting and maintaining these traps.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

There is one cure for that, stick to the speed limit. As for doing 80 MPH on a motorway, as you have stated before on this forum, they have now set speed camera's on the M1 and M25 also on motorways with no hard shoulder to a maximum of 72 MPH :D . Money spinner or not, don't speed.
There must have been signs to indicate the reduced speed limit, you were going too fast to notice :?:
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I concentrate while driving at all times. I do not use the phone even though its blue toothed to the car. I try to be predicable with everything I do. I have been driving for 40 years. In that time i have had 2 minor bumps you could call my fault. 3 that were not my fault. 1 car written off when I was not even in it. 3 speeding fines. I jumping red lights fine. Most of that happened when i was covering 45k miles a year.

in my 40 years I recon I have driven over 1 million miles at a average of 30MPH god knows how many hours that is behind the wheel. yes I have had some close shaves and seen some horrific things ..mostly in Malta but that is another story.

All in all i am a very experienced driver with a pretty solid record. Yet still sometimes i am tempted to go a little quicker than i should.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 pm I concentrate while driving at all times. I do not use the phone even though its blue toothed to the car. I try to be predicable with everything I do. I have been driving for 40 years. In that time i have had 2 minor bumps you could call my fault. 3 that were not my fault. 1 car written off when I was not even in it. 3 speeding fines. I jumping red lights fine. Most of that happened when i was covering 45k miles a year.

in my 40 years I recon I have driven over 1 million miles at a average of 30MPH god knows how many hours that is behind the wheel. yes I have had some close shaves and seen some horrific things ..mostly in Malta but that is another story.

All in all i am a very experienced driver with a pretty solid record. Yet still sometimes i am tempted to go a little quicker than i should.
edit..,,,,,,, that's 11.5 years (at 8 hours a day 30mph for 1 million miles) behind the wheel. you work yours out!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I admit, having to stick to 70mph does my head in.
Now that there's average speed cameras between Aberdeen and Edinburgh/Glasgow, the journey is even more hellish.
Partly the fact you're going so slow, mostly the fact the roads are more clogged because of it.
There simply aren't the gaps in traffic you used to get any more, because people are all going roughly the same speed and people are overtaking each other at a 'slightly different' version of 70mph.
Crawling past each other at 0.3mph more than the other...
It's horrible.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am I admit, having to stick to 70mph does my head in.
Now that there's average speed cameras between Aberdeen and Edinburgh/Glasgow, the journey is even more hellish.
Partly the fact you're going so slow, mostly the fact the roads are more clogged because of it.
There simply aren't the gaps in traffic you used to get any more, because people are all going roughly the same speed and people are overtaking each other at a 'slightly different' version of 70mph.
It's horrible.
Has it not dropped the death rate by 50% though Andy, got to be a good thing. If you find it annoying just think of what it’s doing to all the BMW and Audi drivers, that would put a smile on my face :D
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Cadwest wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 am
Andy Beats wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am I admit, having to stick to 70mph does my head in.
It's horrible.
Has it not dropped the death rate by 50% though Andy, got to be a good thing. If you find it annoying just think of what it’s doing to all the BMW and Audi drivers, that would put a smile on my face :D
Has what dropped the death rate? And the death rate for what?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

The average speed cameras on the A9 in Scotland
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Cadwest wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 am
It's easy for 'them' to throw around stats like that, but I'd need more detail.
For example, maybe a certain junction was responsible for a lot of accidents.
In which case, is that junction still covered by a 70mph average, or have they dropped that piece of road near the junction to a 50mph average (as they did with the Montrose junction on the A96)
In which case it's making that section 50mph has decreased accidents, not making the whole road 70mph.
See what I mean?