Polo gti practicality

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jim80
New
Drives: None yet...

Polo gti practicality

Post by Jim80 »

Hi all

Looking at either the polo gti or golf 245

I have a family of 4 and im just wondering what its like to live with the polo regarding space

I currently drive a Alfa giullieta which isnt huge but is big enough. So how practical is the polo? Reviews say its great but what about in the real world?

The golf is also being considered due to space concerns and well the extra power

Any advice appreciated

Jim
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Polo gti practicality

Post by Dark_cze »

As far as I know you can't use variable boot floor in Polo GTI since battery is there. I live alone so Polo was perfect for me :) Driver at front seat and backpack in rear seat :D
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

You can't use the lowered boot floor on the GTI.

I also have a Golf R, and you can't lower the boot in that either due to the room the 4WD Haldex system uses below the boot. So comparing Polo GTI and Golf R, the R has a few more inches between the seat back and the boot lid, but every other MK7 Golf gives you an extra 5 inches depth if you lower the floor (I never did in the GTD I had before the R. Definitely bigger in the Golf boot, but not by much.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I’m 6’3” and although I’m usually the only occupant I have two sons who are catching up with me fast. In terms of practicality it is good for rear seat accommodation passing the test that I always do which is to set the drivers seat up for myself and then go the the rear of the car and sit behind myself. When I was considering a vehicle and doing this test in the showroom I didn’t feel there was a discernible difference between the Polo and the Golf in terms of rear seat accommodation. The boot is also relatively commodious compared to other cars in its class.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Jim80, I think that coming to Polo from a Alfa Romeo Giulietta is always going to be a model range step down if only by the odd inch here and there, if you can live with that, why not, if in doubt then VW Golf is a better choice - or for a bit of flair a SEAT Leon seeing as you are coming from a Marque that talks to your heart before your brain.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm I’m 6’3” and although I’m usually the only occupant I have two sons who are catching up with me fast. In terms of practicality it is good for rear seat accommodation passing the test that I always do which is to set the drivers seat up for myself and then go the the rear of the car and sit behind myself. When I was considering a vehicle and doing this test in the showroom I didn’t feel there was a discernible difference between the Polo and the Golf in terms of rear seat accommodation. The boot is also relatively commodious compared to other cars in its class.
There's 10mm less legroom in my Polo than in my Golf with the front seat in either car set the way I would drive. The marginal extra length of the Golf's boot might make the difference between fitting that lump from Ikea in the boot with the seats down or not. The difference between the 2 cars is so small that I have no reservations about swapping our Golf R for a second Polo GTI (Likely May arrival). Overall the Golf is a foot longer, but most of that is in the longer bonnet, the rest being in the marginally deeper boot. Cabin space is as near damn it identical in both cars.

I prefer driving the Polo GTI to the Golf R, and it feels marginally more solidly built than the Golf to me (a few minor rattles on the Golf).

Like for like, the Golf is considerably dearer the the Polo. The Polo GTI+ is as well specced as the Golf and has just as good indicated residuals (GFV). Don't forget that the Polo is bang up to date and the Golf is about to get replaced with the MK8.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Jim80; apart from the physical size of the two cars you are considering, a few fairly significant considerations (if you’re buying new) are;
  • the lead time from time of order to delivery of the car. Currently, Polo GTI / GTI+ has much longer lead times than the Golf GTI PP245. Some forum members have now been waiting a year for their cars since ordering early last year and don’t yet have a confirmed build date, although VW’s ‘system’ for scheduling cars for build seems to be totally illogical, and some forum members have waited significantly less time for their cars.
  • the new mk8 Golf will arrive later this year, so there’ll probably be some good deals to be had on the current Golf in the coming months.
  • if you’re not too fussy about spec, you will probably find theres a stock of new unregistered Golf GTI’s available for immediate delivery within the dealer network - some forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk have managed to avoid the wait by buying one of these. This won’t be the case with the Polo GTI/GTI+ as some dealers haven’t even managed to get a demonstrator since the launch of the car. There are a few used Polo GTI/GTI+’s in the dealer network, but only a handful.
Jim80
New
Drives: None yet...

Post by Jim80 »

Thanks for the replys- id like either car but the lead time is a very good point regarding polo gti.

As for space I think the polo will be adequate.

Whats the difference between the standard gti and plus?

Ive had several volkswagens before I had children 3 mk2 gtis and a mk3. My preference is Volkswagen and I dont mind the fact the mk7.5 is near the end of production

Thanks again
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd get the plus - £2800worth of options for about £1600 more, Inc LED headlights, digital dash, auto lights, wipers, dimming rear view mirror and ACC. The standard GTI is a bit sparsely equipped.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Jim80 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:34 pm Thanks for the replys- id like either car but the lead time is a very good point regarding polo gti.

As for space I think the polo will be adequate.

Whats the difference between the standard gti and plus?
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71371&p=544859#p544859
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

I have the Polo Gti+ but have previously done lot of miles in a Golf GTD and driven the GTi a number of times.

Personally, if affordable I would go for the Golf. I think the refinement is a little better and it uses slightly better quality materials in the cabin, for example the door cards.
Also the Golf does come with more equipment as standard;
Heated seats
Climate control
Reversing camera
Lane assist
7 speed dsg instead of 6

Depends what's important to you

Very little difference in mpg

I certainly do enjoy driving my Polo but IMO I would always for for the Golf if cost wasn't a consideration.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Here's a pic of our Polo GTI+ and Golf R next to each other so you can compare external sizes. The difference is tiny.

TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Just out of curiosity, does the GTI plus have an electric handbrake, as per the Golf? Thanks.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

TurboTrev wrote:Just out of curiosity, does the GTI plus have an electric handbrake, as per the Golf? Thanks.
Nope, standard lever

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

jylydesign wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 am
TurboTrev wrote:Just out of curiosity, does the GTI plus have an electric handbrake, as per the Golf? Thanks.
Nope, standard lever
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping they might have added it to MY19 build cars. It might seem trivial, but that is a deal breaker as my wife won't have a car now without it!