Stupid car

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Stupid car

Post by SRGTD »

Kittycat wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm Another bolt of snow and ice and my washers are gone again,
I am seriously considering buying something else
Ridiculous for a new car
So are you just replacing the fuses yourself or have you taken the car back to the dealers for them to investigate what’s causing the problem and then fix it?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

When the wipers kept blowing in my Cavalier (yes it was a while ago), it turned out to be a bad earth on the horn.
They were on the same fuse.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:12 pm
Kittycat wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm Another bolt of snow and ice and my washers are gone again,
Ridiculous for a new car
So are you just replacing the fuses yourself or have you taken the car back to the dealers for them to investigate what’s causing the problem and then fix it?
There's either something wrong with the electrical system, or you're overloading the relevant circuit e.g if washers and wipers are on same fuse and your wipers are stuck to the screen, the wiper arm motor may get overloaded.

Or perhaps you're using a weak summer mix of screen wash which is freezing up and the pump that sprays the washer fluid is working very hard to try and pump slushy or solid washer fluid?

I'd take it to the dealer's to look at it. They can do circuit tests and check all components that share the fuse.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:12 pm
Ridiculous for a new car
Husband works in a garage and has replaced it the start of this week. He will look at it again tonight but I’ve called my local VW dealer who have said to bring it in even if it’s ok as they should be able to pick up a fault
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 am You're not alone in your new Polo annoying you....I can assure you... :(
I'm a fan of PCP/PCH, but this is one of these rare occasions when I wish I'd bought the car and I was free to change (albeit probably taking a big financial hit).
Right now I'd change to anything else with aircon that actually works, no stupid collision avoidance devices and no ultra-high gearing that cripples the car.
I am having the exact same feeling
If I could change I would be.
If I try changing now I would have to fork out another deposit which would mean I’ve chucked my Polo one down the drain & I would take a huge financial hit as my car would be worth less then what I currently owe🥺
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Glad I'm not the only one... Personally I just really dislike mine.. the shambles mine has caused since pickup in June is ridiculous. Handbrake issues, steering, then made worse by my dealer and refusing responsibility. And then the other small things what are just annoying. Like the lack of a draw under the seat (option I know), and glovebox lights, interior roof handle thingys to mention a few.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car, but for 16.7k they've taken the quirkyness or charm out of it (think it's the right word). My 9n3 had pen holders and things like that, whereas this one doesn't, along with terrible cupholders.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather me old one back tomorrow...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Luke Williamson
New
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL 1.0

Post by Luke Williamson »

Sorry to jump onto this out of the blue but I'm thinking the washer motor fuse has also blown in my Polo. However I'm struggling to find any documentation that tells me which fuse it is. If you know which fuse it is that would be very helpful. I've pulled off the trim next to the steering wheel to access the fuse box in the cabin but not even sure if that's the right place for it.
Thanks
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:31 pm Glad I'm not the only one... Personally I just really dislike mine.. the shambles mine has caused since pickup in June is ridiculous. Handbrake issues, steering, then made worse by my dealer and refusing responsibility. And then the other small things what are just annoying. Like the lack of a draw under the seat (option I know), and glovebox lights, interior roof handle thingys to mention a few.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car, but for 16.7k they've taken the quirkyness or charm out of it (think it's the right word). My 9n3 had pen holders and things like that, whereas this one doesn't, along with terrible cupholders.

I’ve not really gelled with mine and have held off putting my plate on the car.
Uses far to much fuel for a one litre, all the tanks are a bit small, water and fuel to name two
And just disappointed that I’ve wasted my deposit and not in an agreement with a car I’m not overly gushing over
If I could have my old car back tomorrow then I would

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather me old one back tomorrow...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Kittycat wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:54 pm Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather me old one back tomorrow...
Nah, you're not alone for sure.
I wish I hadn't been tempted by outrageous offers for my Leaf and had just kept it.
I intend to keep the Polo for the bare minimum of the agreement, which is half the payments.
As soon as you reach half the payments you can VT (voluntary terminate) and it doesn't go down as a negative on your credit report.
I may even overpay, if I can, to hasten it along.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 am
I intend to keep the Polo for the bare minimum of the agreement, which is half the payments.
As soon as you reach half the payments you can VT (voluntary terminate) and it doesn't go down as a negative on your credit report.
I may even overpay, if I can, to hasten it along.
Andy,

The VT applies to having paid half the car off, not half the payments made.

If you've got a £20k car, you have to have made enough payments to only owe £10k to voluntarily terminate and walk away. If that same car has PCP payments based on say, a GFV of £9k at end of PCP term e.g.36 months, then end of term has you having paid £11k of capital. You're going to be quite far along in the agreement to have paid £10k, month 33 or 34 of 36.

To speed up the process by overpaying just has you carless quicker. I'd rather pay £10k over 33 months and hand the car back than chuck £3k in as overpayment and be carless at 23 months, having paid the same £10k to get shot of it.

Unless the GFV is tiny, VT isn't an option until very far into your PCP term.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 am The VT applies to having paid half the car off, not half the payments made.

If you've got a £20k car, you have to have made enough payments to only owe £10k to voluntarily terminate and walk away. If that same car has PCP payments based on say, a GFV of £9k at end of PCP term e.g.36 months, then end of term has you having paid £11k of capital. You're going to be quite far along in the agreement to have paid £10k, month 33 or 34 of 36.

To speed up the process by overpaying just has you carless quicker. I'd rather pay £10k over 33 months and hand the car back than chuck £3k in as overpayment and be carless at 23 months, having paid the same £10k to get shot of it.

There's a lot of confusion about at what stage you can VT, I'm aware it's not as simple as 'half way through the agreement', even if dealers do specifically say that to people.
This car and the last one, both dealers flippantly said (paraphrasing) "if you don't like it give us a shout in XX months and you can get rid"
As I did with the Leaf I'll keep an eye on what I'm owe and what the car is worth, then I'll reach a point where I can buy it off the finance company and get rid.
Won't be as easy as it was with the Leaf, as that car actually appreciated in the year I had it - the Polo will only depreciate.
TheN again, I may just keep it as I'm barely in it anyway - so the fact I don't like it doesn't matter that much. :D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

That is one of the draw backs when you want a car, but no money to finance it with cash. you either have to purchase it by Credit card, Bank loan, Hire purchase, Personal contract hire or Personal contract purchase.
After a short time you realise you dislike the motor, but your stuck in a contract, unless you have the money to get out of that contract, your stuffed.
That's the way of the world today, when cash is a dirty word
In the local seaside town of Cleethorpes, all the public toilets have been converted to swipe cards. Myself for a start would be in bother as I don't have a swipe card :lol: To be fair, we don't go down there in the summer as there are too many holiday makers :)

Many members might not agree with my thoughts, but the only payments taken from my bank are for utility bill only, nothing else. I still use a cheque book.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:49 pm That is one of the draw backs when you want a car, but no money to finance it with cash. you either have to purchase it by Credit card, Bank loan, Hire purchase, Personal contract hire or Personal contract purchase.
After a short time you realise you dislike the motor, but your stuck in a contract, unless you have the money to get out of that contract, your stuffed.
That's the way of the world today, when cash is a dirty word
In the local seaside town of Cleethorpes, all the public toilets have been converted to swipe cards. Myself for a start would be in bother as I don't have a swipe card :lol: To be fair, we don't go down there in the summer as there are too many holiday makers :)

Many members might not agree with my thoughts, but the only payments taken from my bank are for utility bill only, nothing else. I still use a cheque book.
Doesn't matter how you finance it, if you decide you don't like a car you're going to take a big financial hit if you sell it early.
In a way, the fact I've got it on PCP is a bonus as it actively encourages me to keep it instead of taking a hit.
If you decide you hate yours, you'll lose thousands immediately.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:24 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 am The VT applies to having paid half the car off, not half the payments made.

There's a lot of confusion about at what stage you can VT, I'm aware it's not as simple as 'half way through the agreement', even if dealers do specifically say that to people.
This car and the last one, both dealers flippantly said (paraphrasing) "if you don't like it give us a shout in XX months and you can get rid"
As I did with the Leaf I'll keep an eye on what I'm owe and what the car is worth, then I'll reach a point where I can buy it off the finance company and get rid.
Won't be as easy as it was with the Leaf, as that car actually appreciated in the year I had it - the Polo will only depreciate.
TheN again, I may just keep it as I'm barely in it anyway - so the fact I don't like it doesn't matter that much. :D
Confusion between consumers or not, the VT terms are clear cut - you can't walk away from your payment obligations unless 50% of the capital owed has been paid. It can make a mark on your credit file too for a few years, but only car finance companies are likely to exercise their right to reject your applications in future. VT is a consumer right, but car finance companies don't like it.

If your dealership are prepared to take the car back and settle your finance because there's a margin in it for them to sell it on, that's not VT.

You can of course settle your finance at any given time (usually copping for 2 months penalty interest) and buy the car outright.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Mini :?: I thought it was the Leaf :?: was the car to have :lol: