Stupid car

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Stupid car

Post by Kittycat »

In the last few days my car is blowing fuses like water
Originally started where the water for the screen the fuse blew on that, then the back wiper, now the heater and the airbag light is also on 🤬🤬
I have never in all my days of owning any car new or used had so many fuses blow
Pretty annoying a new car is doing this
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Stupid car

Post by RUM4MO »

Washer fluid fuse blowing would normally be down to the mixture slugging/freezing with the weather a few days ago, that is easy to avoid.
Same for the rear wiper, the rest???
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

You're not alone in your new Polo annoying you....I can assure you... :(
I'm a fan of PCP/PCH, but this is one of these rare occasions when I wish I'd bought the car and I was free to change (albeit probably taking a big financial hit).
Right now I'd change to anything else with aircon that actually works, no stupid collision avoidance devices and no ultra-high gearing that cripples the car.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 am You're not alone in your new Polo annoying you....I can assure you... :(
I'm a fan of PCP/PCH, but this is one of these rare occasions when I wish I'd bought the car and I was free to change (albeit probably taking a big financial hit).
Right now I'd change to anything else with aircon that actually works, no stupid collision avoidance devices and no ultra-high gearing that cripples the car.
As long as you have the readies together, you can buy the car at any time when on finance and dispose of it how you like. It'll cost you 2 months penalty interest over and above the capital balance owed.

If you haven't the cash, you could get a bank loan to pay off VWFS and then p/x the Polo against something else or sell privately, put it up on Google etc.

Giving it back and settling the difference on finance vs what the dealer will give you for it is probably going to cost you £4k (the dealer's margin in reselling it) realistically. Have a look and see what they're going for in the used forecourt, knock 15% off and that's about what they should be offering you.

Then you've got to decide what to get next that isn't a wound up 1.0 with ridiculously high gearing (all the marques are doing this, and they're all implementing collision avoidance tech). In your position of 2k miles a year, fuel economy should not be a big consideration. You'll probably get more enjoyment out of a bigger and more responsive engine and pay £100 a year more for fuel.

Given that tiny mileage, you may find a car with a GPF problematic if it never gets warm enough to burn collected soot. 3 miles each way isn't even enough for the oil temp to hit 50c.

Might be cheaper overall to forget owning a car and pay a pound a mile in a taxi for your 2k miles a year.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 am You're not alone in your new Polo annoying you....I can assure you... :(
As long as you have the readies together, you can buy the car at any time when on finance and dispose of it how you like. It'll cost you 2 months penalty interest over and above the capital balance owed.

If you haven't the cash, you could get a bank loan to pay off VWFS and then p/x the Polo against something else or sell privately, put it up on Google etc.

Giving it back and settling the difference on finance vs what the dealer will give you for it is probably going to cost you £4k (the dealer's margin in reselling it) realistically. Have a look and see what they're going for in the used forecourt, knock 15% off and that's about what they should be offering you.

Then you've got to decide what to get next that isn't a wound up 1.0 with ridiculously high gearing (all the marques are doing this, and they're all implementing collision avoidance tech). In your position of 2k miles a year, fuel economy should not be a big consideration. You'll probably get more enjoyment out of a bigger and more responsive engine and pay £100 a year more for fuel.

Given that tiny mileage, you may find a car with a GPF problematic if it never gets warm enough to burn collected soot. 3 miles each way isn't even enough for the oil temp to hit 50c.

Might be cheaper overall to forget owning a car and pay a pound a mile in a taxi for your 2k miles a year.
2000 miles a year, where did you get that from?
My commute is 3 miles each way per day, but that doesn't mean it sits and does nothing at night/weekends.
My PCP deal is 8000 miles per year, I think I might go over that as I'm at 2000 miles already.
My next car will be back to electric for sure, I'm making sure this is my last ICE and it's only a stop-gap until more EVs become available.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

At three miles a day each way commute, get a twist and go for the summer months. Should have stuck with the electric car, as you said "would be worth £1,500 more now than when you first purchased it", you'd have been quid's in by now, and a twist and go at the same time :D
Or even a push bike for the summer, think how fit you'd be :wink:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm At three miles a day each way commute, get a twist and go for the summer months. Should have stuck with the electric car, as you said "would be worth £1,500 more now than when you first purchased it", you'd have been quid's in by now, and a twist and go at the same time :D
Or even a push bike for the summer, think how fit you'd be :wink:
I've got a motorbike, it's not worth it for only 3 miles each way.
By the time you get helmet/gloves/jacket on, you've saved no time.
Motorbikes only save time where there's queues of traffic.
Cycling isn't possible on the roads I use, not allowed (easy to think "oooh it's only 3 miles" without having any knowledge of the route)
What's your point with keeping the electric car I had, prey tell, I don't see one?
I've already said that although my wife loved the drive, she hated the looks and didn't want to drive it.
So instead of equal use of two cars, her SUV got used more than I'd like.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Hang on Andy, it was you who mentioned that your next car will be an electric car :roll:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 pm Hang on Andy, it was you who mentioned that your next car will be an electric car :roll:
Eh....?
You've said I should have kept the one I had.
I've asked what your point was, I don't see one.
Explain to me why I should have kept that one.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

It would have saved you moaning about your Polo
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm It would have saved you moaning about your Polo
No, I should have just kept going to the Nissan/Citroen garage.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:48 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm

2000 miles a year, where did you get that from?
My commute is 3 miles each way per day, but that doesn't mean it sits and does nothing at night/weekends.
My PCP deal is 8000 miles per year, I think I might go over that as I'm at 2000 miles already.
My next car will be back to electric for sure, I'm making sure this is my last ICE and it's only a stop-gap until more EVs become available.
I thought you'd mentioned 2k miles before when on about running costs etc. Well forget the taxi then. Looks like you've got a long PCP term to get through with a car that bugs you daily.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm Looks like you've got a long PCP term to get through with a car that bugs you daily.
Yup.
Of course, good thing is it's only 3 miles each way it bugs me. :lol:
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Another bolt of snow and ice and my washers are gone again,
I am seriously considering buying something else
Ridiculous for a new car
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Kittycat wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm Another bolt of snow and ice and my washers are gone again,
I am seriously considering buying something else
Ridiculous for a new car
It's got to be a bad earth somewhere for fuses to pop so regularly.
A bad earth causes so much trouble, it's common on Vauxhall Zafiras and a colleagues had it happen.
Warning lights, power steering quitting, fuses popping.
All down to one earth strap that needs fixed/modified.