Jerky 1.0 tsi manual

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnparker
Getting There!

Jerky 1.0 tsi manual

Post by johnparker »

Hi all
Am i the only one to have this infrequent but very irritating problem with my 1.0 tsi manual?
This probably only happens once every 40 miles or so. I will be slowing down in 3rd gear for a bend so will have let go of the accelerator and be applying the brake. Then after coming out of the bend when i press the accelerator there is a short moment of no power and a fierce 'Jerk' as the power returns.
Not the end of the world but dissapointing for a brand new "quality" car.
I have a feeling i am going to have problems at the dealership with this as it will be very difficult to demonstrate to them. Unless its just a software update fix???
Ive also noticed the drive feels a bit jerky when driving slowly in 1st gear in a car park although nowhere near as fierce, but not sure if its related.
Many thanks
John
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Jerky 1.0 tsi manual

Post by Adam_013 »

johnparker wrote:Hi all
Am i the only one to have this infrequent but very irritating problem with my 1.0 tsi manual?
This probably only happens once every 40 miles or so. I will be slowing down in 3rd gear for a bend so will have let go of the accelerator and be applying the brake. Then after coming out of the bend when i press the accelerator there is a short moment of no power and a fierce 'Jerk' as the power returns.
Not the end of the world but dissapointing for a brand new "quality" car.
I have a feeling i am going to have problems at the dealership with this as it will be very difficult to demonstrate to them. Unless its just a software update fix???
Ive also noticed the drive feels a bit jerky when driving slowly in 1st gear in a car park although nowhere near as fierce, but not sure if its related.
Many thanks
John
Although mine is not as frequent I do have this... A glance at the rev counter would make you think the car has stalled or turning itself off, despite having plenty of room left in whatever gear you're in.

Had it a few times when releasing the clutch, knowing that it'll be ok in that gear, but it seems it's stalling itself. As in 2nd gear at 20mph, but it wanted to turn off. Unsure if it's something to do with start stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

It looks like you don't rev-match when you're downshifting. You let revs go below certain treshold and thus stall the car. Then when you accelerate, the car doesn't have enough revs for turbo to kick in. Just blip the throttle before releasing clutch so that the revs go up. I had a really bad habbit of going through turns with clutch engaged when I started driving. Then I learnt to rev match and now the ride is overall way, way smoother.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

The car is very high geared, I think you're probably using a gear you're used to using in other cars and the Polo is struggling to pull it.
Assuming yours is a 5 speed car, you have to get used to driving one gear lower than your past experience might tell you.
Use second where you're used to using third etc.etc.
Unfortunately, first is also very high and hammers the clutch on hill-starts but there's nothing you can do about that.
My wife describes the car as sluggish, and it is slower to accelerate than it should be for a turbo-charged car with 95bhp.
Conversely the high gearing makes it a very relaxing car at higher speeds and gives good MPG at M-way speeds (I was getting 48mpg at around 74mph yesterday)
You do need to change down from 5th a lot on the motorway though, if you leave it in 5th the acceleration is poor and any hills will have you losing speed rapidly.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

I have noticed this once or twice - when re-applying accelerator after a period of slowing down say in 3rd gear there is a jerk in the transmission as if a flat spot. I suspect it is the fuelling and ultra lean running, if on closed throttle will be little petrol going through then you open the throttle and it jerks back into life. Not ideal but only happens occasionally. Makes you appear like a learner driver...
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:49 am The car is very high geared, I think you're probably using a gear you're used to using in other cars and the Polo is struggling to pull it.
Assuming yours is a 5 speed car, you have to get used to driving one gear lower than your past experience might tell you.
Use second where you're used to using third etc.etc.
Unfortunately, first is also very high and hammers the clutch on hill-starts but there's nothing you can do about that.
My wife describes the car as sluggish, and it is slower to accelerate than it should be for a turbo-charged car with 95bhp.
Conversely the high gearing makes it a very relaxing car at higher speeds and gives good MPG at M-way speeds (I was getting 48mpg at around 74mph yesterday)
You do need to change down from 5th a lot on the motorway though, if you leave it in 5th the acceleration is poor and any hills will have you losing speed rapidly.
Spot on. Mine will the same thing as the OP has described if the RPM drop below where the turbo comes in. I've gotten use to it now though. I have another car that's also highly geared but that has an engine that will cope with doing 20mph even in 4th without upsetting it (it has an extra 5 cylinders and 4.7l over the polo)
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

An update to my original message at the start of this post. Last week I had the engine management light appear and car seemed to be in limp mode. Took to dealers and diagnosis was a seized Turbo actuator which has just been replaced under warranty. Cant help wondering whether or not this was the cause of this issue all along?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

johnparker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm An update to my original message at the start of this post. Last week I had the engine management light appear and car seemed to be in limp mode. Took to dealers and diagnosis was a seized Turbo actuator which has just been replaced under warranty. Cant help wondering whether or not this was the cause of this issue all along?
I suppose it's feasible that if it was sticking on its way to seizing then it could have been causing all sort of boost/turbo speed issues - which would lead to jerky responses.
But you'd think (hope) that would have shown up as a fault code and it doesn't wait until it seizes altogether to register.
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

I've had mine for 2 years now and I noticed this in the start, I actually put a dp and exhaust and had the car remapped and has been perfect ever since which has been 18 months which makes me think think the factory map either ran the car too lean at that Rev range before the turbo started boosting. Map was done by celtic BTW and car currently makes 100wkw and 250nm.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

JarrydDempsey wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:56 pm I've had mine for 2 years now and I noticed this in the start, I actually put a dp and exhaust and had the car remapped and has been perfect ever since which has been 18 months which makes me think think the factory map either ran the car too lean at that Rev range before the turbo started boosting. Map was done by celtic BTW and car currently makes 100wkw and 250nm.
I think you are right, it runs too lean on the over run then you apply acceleration it jerks.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnparker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm An update to my original message at the start of this post. Last week I had the engine management light appear and car seemed to be in limp mode. Took to dealers and diagnosis was a seized Turbo actuator which has just been replaced under warranty. Cant help wondering whether or not this was the cause of this issue all along?
I've had 2 bust turbos across 11 VWs over the years, the first was a 2003 1.9TDI Polo, the other was my 2015 Golf R. On both occasions the actuator stopped working. Over the course of a fortnight, it's either on for an ignition cycle or not, starting with 3 out out 4 times being on, and ending up 3 out of 4 times not on. The actuator went between 5k and 6k miles for both cars.