Album art to the foreground

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Album art to the foreground

Post by Andy Beats »

When using Apple Play, you can see that the album art is behind the track display, albeit in an out of focus/fuzzy way.
It fills the screen behind the track display, I'm sure it would look really smart brought to the foreground of the display instead.
Anyone know if/how this can be done?
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Album art to the foreground

Post by MattHGR »

As far as I understand, apple car play and Android auto run off the mobile device. The infotainment screen only really works as a display output and a touch input.
To change something like that, you'd have to request the feature from Apple.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Correct Matt. The display in this case is basically an external monitor with touch support for your phone, although there is limited interaction beyond that which isn't currently used much. It seems that currently it's limited to whether or not the vehicle is moving and that's about it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I understand it's more of an Apple problem than a VW one, I just wondered if anyone had managed to suss it out.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

vc-10 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm Correct Matt. The display in this case is basically an external monitor with touch support for your phone, although there is limited interaction beyond that which isn't currently used much. It seems that currently it's limited to whether or not the vehicle is moving and that's about it.
Not really phone actualy have acces to lot of informations from car. I have rooted android phone and unlocked android auto for use with 3rd party apps. There is app called "performance monitor for vag" whitch can acces things like oil temperature, throttle position etc. But you are right app connect is like external screen. And someone would need to edit app installed in phone to change album art etc
Attachments
Screenshot_20190208-141855_Performance Monitor for VAG.jpg
Screenshot_20190208-141847_Performance Monitor for VAG.jpg
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Looks like I'm stuck with the fuzzy background art until Apple change it.
Shame, it would look really cool nice and clear.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I dare say it so 'you can't get distracted' you know what people are like nowadays...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Why keep looking at an album cover, just press the "NAV" button and watch the world go by :) . You do have a sat nav as standard??
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm Why keep looking at an album cover, just press the "NAV" button and watch the world go by :) . You do have a sat nav as standard??
No, I use google maps via the apple play.
Better than any factory satnav.
I also believe Waze is better than any factory satnav.
Really, the combination of google maps/waze and being able to display it on the car screen has rendered factory satnav obsolete.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

So your Polo doesn't have a sat nav built in :) Bit like the cruise control :?: You purchased the Beats just because it had a better base built in, and white leatherette seats (they do look nice though, I'll give you that) and it's only got the 95 BHP engine :( . Don't throw good money after bad and fit a chip just to make it a better engine.
You have an accident and your car is in the compound, you cannot get to it, and the insurance assessor looks over the car, (their not stupid), and finds you have chipped the engine, your insurance will and should refuse to pay you out and damages. That's the law.
If you wanted the extra power, should have got the 115 BHP engine

I've read in other posts that when pulling off they get a smell of burning clutch plates. Can I say, I've got the 115 BHP engine with the DSG box, when I pull off it drives off in second gear, (I'm in no rush) and at 30 MPH on a flat road it's in sixth gear, 35 MPH it's in seventh gear. I know I live in Lincolnshire and not many hills, apart from the Lincolnshire wolds. which run through the middle of Lincolnshire
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm So your Polo doesn't have a sat nav built in :) Bit like the cruise control :?: You purchased the Beats just because it had a better base built in, and white leatherette seats (they do look nice though, I'll give you that) and it's only got the 95 BHP engine :( . Don't throw good money after bad and fit a chip just to make it a better engine.
You have an accident and your car is in the compound, you cannot get to it, and the insurance assessor looks over the car, (their not stupid), and finds you have chipped the engine, your insurance will and should refuse to pay you out and damages. That's the law.

Are you drunk?
I didn't think it had satnav, I didn't want satnav, anyone who pays for factory satnav these days is a mug IMO
So why even mention it?
As for the power of the engine, maybe I would have gone for the 115bhp if they'd had one in stock
But, unlike you, I'm not willing to wait months for a run-of-the-mill car. :lol:
I've also had DSG before and wouldn't have it again if you paid me.
I'm not even sure if they do the beats version in 115bhp, I wouldn't want the fuddy-duddy SE/SEL version just to have the more powerful engine.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:15 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm Why keep looking at an album cover, just press the "NAV" button and watch the world go by :) . You do have a sat nav as standard??
No, I use google maps via the apple play.
Better than any factory satnav.
I also believe Waze is better than any factory satnav.
Really, the combination of google maps/waze and being able to display it on the car screen has rendered factory satnav obsolete.
Yep I agree google maps and Waze are far better than factory fitted sat navs. If you have speech activated and you long press the talk button it activates google assistant or Siri and you just ask it to navigate to your destination or even check weather etc.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Cadwest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm Yep I agree google maps and Waze are far better than factory fitted sat navs. If you have speech activated and you long press the talk button it activates google assistant or Siri and you just ask it to navigate to your destination or even check weather etc.
I don't have the speech activated, but don't need it.
Just say "Hey Siri" and it works fine for music/phone/texts/satnav.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm So your Polo doesn't have a sat nav built in :) Bit like the cruise control :?: You purchased the Beats just because it had a better base built in, and white leatherette seats (they do look nice though, I'll give you that) and it's only got the 95 BHP engine :( . Don't throw good money after bad and fit a chip just to make it a better engine.

Are you drunk?
I didn't think it had satnav, I didn't want satnav, anyone who pays for factory satnav these days is a mug IMO
So why even mention it?
As for the power of the engine, maybe I would have gone for the 115bhp if they'd had one in stock
But, unlike you, I'm not willing to wait months for a run-of-the-mill car. [emoji38]
I've also had DSG before and wouldn't have it again if you paid me.
I'm not even sure if they do the beats version in 115bhp, I wouldn't want the fuddy-duddy SE/SEL version just to have the more powerful engine.
Quite agree, I would've have the 115 had it of been in stock. It wasn't and I didn't want to wait. Be buggered if I'm waiting months for a car to have an extra 20hp. It would be different if I intended to keep the car, but beings it's on PCP. I'm not entirely fussed... However the whole issue with the 95ps and the tall gears still applies regardless if 'we' had the 115 or 95.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The Beats model isn’t available with the 115ps version of the 1.0 litre petrol engine. Engine options for the Beats model are;
- Petrol; 1.0 litre with 65ps or 80ps output
- Diesel; 1.6 litre producing 80ps.

If you want 115ps, then it’s the SEL or R-Line.