Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser

Post by S_94 »

Hey all.

Anyone know much about the 'Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser'? I've been looking into it before the GTI+ arrives and it looks like a good bit of kit. Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7lkHj_1pSM.

I don't think it's supported yet, but something I'd definitely consider if/when it did become available. I'm a bit paranoid with everything you see in the news these days regarding cars being stolen (especially the keyless entry ones). Every time I check Facebook I swear someone is sharing a post about stolen cars (most recently a Golf R).

Probably being a bit overkill but would like to hear some thoughts regarding security measures that can be taken. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of parking the car in a garage.
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Re: Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser

Post by jdunstone16 »

Funnily enough I was looking at one of these and will definitely be enquiring on my Polo Beats. Will let you know if I have any lucks.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Thanks mate. I've sent an email off enquiring about support for the new Polo. Will post back if I get a reply.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

S_94 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:14 pm Hey all.

Anyone know much about the 'Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser'? I've been looking into it before the GTI+ arrives and it looks like a good bit of kit. Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7lkHj_1pSM.

I don't think it's supported yet, but something I'd definitely consider if/when it did become available. I'm a bit paranoid with everything you see in the news these days regarding cars being stolen (especially the keyless entry ones). Every time I check Facebook I swear someone is sharing a post about stolen cars (most recently a Golf R).

Probably being a bit overkill but would like to hear some thoughts regarding security measures that can be taken. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of parking the car in a garage.
I assume you know the Keyless can be disabled temporarily. I disable mine if im leaving the car for some time or in an area I am concerned about.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@S_94; Don’t know if you are aware, but I’m pretty certain Autowatch Ghost isn’t Thatcham approved. If you have it fitted to your car, it’s unlikely that insurers will have it on their list of approved security devices that might qualify for a security discount off your insurance premium.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

There is always obd protector, ie:- https://www.obdportector.com/

Quite a few Audi A4 ect S and RS owners seem to have felt the need to go down that route.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

mike sel wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:09 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:14 pm Hey all.

I assume you know the Keyless can be disabled temporarily. I disable mine if im leaving the car for some time or in an area I am concerned about.
I did see it mentioned in an earlier thread. Nice to know that can be done. Do you feel that is enough to protect your car?
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:34 pm @S_94; Don’t know if you are aware, but I’m pretty certain Autowatch Ghost isn’t Thatcham approved. If you have it fitted to your car, it’s unlikely that insurers will have it on their list of approved security devices that might qualify for a security discount off your insurance premium.
Thanks mate. Wasn't aware of that, disabling the keyless entry sounds like a good shout each time I leave the car. I suppose there's only so much someone can do (regarding security), if someone really wants the car I'm sure they'll do everything they can to get it... scumbags.
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:27 pm There is always obd protector, ie:- https://www.obdportector.com/

Quite a few Audi A4 ect S and RS owners seem to have felt the need to go down that route.
Will check this out. Thanks!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Well when I was looking for a new car I started taking security into account. So I started looking for a car to suit my needs first then discarded the idea of a GTI in case it attracted boy racing thieves. then I chose a grade car that had an alarm and engine immobiliser. The New size Polo fitted my needs nicely, the SEL had the alarm and if the key code is not recognised the immobiliser.

With the Keyless entry disabled it then becomes like any other car. It has a few windows that someone can break but that will set the internal monitoring alarm off & I assume IF they try to start it the immobiliser will kick in. I chose the standard grey colour so the car did not stand out (I also like it and saves £600 on not having a metallic colour).

I am not really sure what more one can do realistically. I don't have the GTI so I do not see why anyone would want to steal a 115 SEL Polo. Surely they will target expensive or high powered cars. Or if I leave valuables in my car, I do sometimes take my watch off and leave it in the glove box (Omega Speedmaster dark side of the Moon) but that is only if I am doing an activity that may damage the watch.

So for me security (in as much as it can be) started at choosing the car stage.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Security is a double edged sword. Yes, you want to be secure, but if they're determined to get your car, I'd rather they do it from the roadside than being rudely woken up in my bed by someone standing over me with a baseball bat demanding to know where my car keys are after busting into my house.

If someone steals my car, I don't want it back, I'd rather it wasn't recovered.

There are certainly crime hotspots - there seems to be a persistent gang (or a series of gangs) operating in the Coventry area for the last 5 years, lots of reported Golf R's and Audi S3s (plus more powerful cars) getting stolen, reported in the forums from that area and Glasgow suburbs. I think a Polo GTI is largely off their want list.

The best visual deterrent is a disklok. Just don't keep the key with your keyring (most will).
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:10 am Security is a double edged sword. Yes, you want to be secure, but if they're determined to get your car, I'd rather they do it from the roadside than being rudely woken up in my bed by someone standing over me with a baseball bat demanding to know where my car keys are after busting into my house.

If someone steals my car, I don't want it back, I'd rather it wasn't recovered.
Hear hear.
Take 'reasonable precautions' sufficient to make sure your insurance will pay out and treat it like the replaceable piece of tin it is.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 am I don't have the GTI so I do not see why anyone would want to steal a 115 SEL Polo. Surely they will target expensive or high powered cars.
Yeah, car thieves seem to fall into two groups.
Professional thieves that are stealing with a buyer in mind and joy riders.
I can't see a humdrum Polo appealing to either of those groups, not unless it's so easy to nick it's too tempting for them.
And I include my own Polo in that humdrum statement, BTW, wasn't having a go at the SEL in particular.
Christ, if joyriders stole my 95bhp Polo the police would report they were in a luke-warm pursuit! :D
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I agree, my wife has an August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and I've never been concerned about it being targeted, its worse threat I think comes from duff drivers and duff parkers, so she/we tend to get plenty exercise when parking in shopping car parks!

Audi S3 do seem to be one of the cars of choice for people "doing jobs" - taken from one city and used in another one or two cities.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 am
mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 am I don't have the GTI so I do not see why anyone would want to steal a 115 SEL Polo. Surely they will target expensive or high powered cars.
Yeah, car thieves seem to fall into two groups.
Professional thieves that are stealing with a buyer in mind and joy riders.
I can't see a humdrum Polo appealing to either of those groups, not unless it's so easy to nick it's too tempting for them.
And I include my own Polo in that humdrum statement, BTW, wasn't having a go at the SEL in particular.
Christ, if joyriders stole my 95bhp Polo the police would report they were in a luke-warm pursuit! :D
Yes Polo GTI is the only one (at a large pinch, pun intended) that someone may want to steel. I cannot imagine that anyone in their right mind would be interested in any other Polo or golf (except the R ) for that matter. Its one of the benefits of owning one, under the radar
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm [
Yes Polo GTI is the only one (at a large pinch, pun intended) that someone may want to steal. I cannot imagine that anyone in their right mind would be interested in any other Polo or golf (except the R ) for that matter. Its one of the benefits of owning one, under the radar.
In addition to the Golf R, there’s quite a few Golf GTI’s that get stolen too. There are also forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who’ve had parts (notably, the front bumper, but also door mirror covers or the complete door mirror assemblies) stolen off their Golf GTI’s while the car was parked on the driveway and the owner was at home. Seems that some people will stop at nothing and such actions by these unscrupulous individuals can cause significant inconvenience and cost to the victims.

I dare say in many cases these parts are stolen to order, or they end up for sale on various internet auction sites.