How much to fill and to the tank

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

How much to fill and to the tank

Post by Kittycat »

Not sure if I’ve just been blessed with a very thirsty 1.0
But trying to figure it out
I have a R line 95ps
And she is drinking fuel like it’s water so I’m trying to figure out why, now before anyone starts with oh it’s your driving style it’s really not, if I was doing handbrake turns and racing around town then maybe but I’m only go to and from work and using the car for normal day to day.I’ve done 90 miles since fill up last Tuesday going into town and to work yet I have half a tank left.
I am wondering on a tank what your Polos are doing
Nothing to technical here please boys as it will go over my head
I have a recall for Friday so wondering if mine is off getting VW to look at it before I trade it if it keeps doing this
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Re: How much to fill and to the tank

Post by antz81 »

I get about 750km/tank Which is roughly 470 miles.
What you are getting sounds more like what I get in my 1981 Corvette.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

If I drive my 115ps careful its around 400-20 but I have never run it dry, I always refill as my fuel indicator (digital) fuel indicator is displaying 2 bars left about 1/8 tank. I would probably get more if it were a manual gear change.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Kittycat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 pm Not sure if I’ve just been blessed with a very thirsty 1.0
But trying to figure it out
I have a R line 95ps
And she is drinking fuel like it’s water so I’m trying to figure out why, now before anyone starts with oh it’s your driving style it’s really not, if I was doing handbrake turns and racing around town then maybe but I’m only go to and from work and using the car for normal day to day.I’ve done 90 miles since fill up last Tuesday going into town and to work yet I have half a tank left.
I am wondering on a tank what your Polos are doing
Nothing to technical here please boys as it will go over my head
I have a recall for Friday so wondering if mine is off getting VW to look at it before I trade it if it keeps doing this
You cannot directly compare one driver and their mpg to another, there are a few factors that influence driving style:-

Length of journey
Congestion
Average speed limit of the roads you are on
Driving style

If you do a 5 mile congested commute on 30mph roads, no amount of good driving style is going to help you.

If you do 25 miles on uncluttered 60mph, you are going to get great mpg.

On my 13 mile commute, a normal drive is 34mpg, if we have unusual congestion, it's more like 31mpg. Today I might be heading towards 38mpg as the schools are off (less people going to work to look after their kids). So a huge variance on the same route/distance/driving style, due to varying levels of congestion.

I managed 47mpg on a 91 mile, mainly 80mph journey in my GTI+ - no congestion, not much stopping for roundabouts etc.

I think you'd lose far more on the car, chopping it in so early than the extra fuel costs over expectations are costing you.

What is your average speed for your journey, is it congested, and how many miles each way is your commute?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

My beats 95ps long term (2000mi) is 49.1mpg.

My commute is either 15 miles with half being 70mph on dual carriageway or, 13 miles with most being 60 back roads and the odd village at 30.

Regardless which way I go they take the same amount of time give or take a minute or so. MPG is roughly the same, but if I 'try hard' I can get substantially better on the back roads.

As a rule dual carriageway route gets be back around 50 and back roads about 55. (does vary if there's a tractor or something). However if I use gears to slow me down and do a lot of coasting I've seen 72.6 before, but that was driving really nicely.

Will point out the time I commute there is little to no traffic

On a 200mile run from 7am-11am using motorways I frequently get around 60-65mpg sat at 73mph

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If you’ve covered 90 miles in just under a week on commute journeys and going into town, and if that’s fairly typical of your normal journey type, then that suggests most of your motoring is short journeys when the engine may not be getting up to optimum operating temperature on some of the shorter trips. The combination of cold engine and short journeys at peak traffic times (work commuting) won’t deliver particularly good MPG figures, although 90 miles on half a tank of fuel does sound low. Based on the Polo’s fuel tank size of 8.7 gallons, covering 90 miles on half a tank would be around 21 mpg. What long term MPG figure is your car’s fuel computer showing? What sort of MPG / miles per tank do you get on longer journeys? If you only use your car for short journeys, it’d be worth taking it on a few long(er) trips where you can maintain a decent speed to see how the fuel consumption changes (improves).

Under inflated tyres can have a negative impact on fuel consumption if you’ve not already done so, it’d be worth checking your tyre pressures to ensure your tyres aren’t under inflated.
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

Normally when I get into the car my commute is not short bursts
In to town is 16 miles there and back, work varies as I travel around but long bursts again can be around 16 miles there and back, it’s longer journeys its burning through it
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

antz81 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 am I get about 750km/tank Which is roughly 470 miles.
What you are getting sounds more like what I get in my 1981 Corvette.
I will fill mine and I will get under 300 miles
I found myself filling it up another £10 during this time and I will then get maybe 340-50
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

I get around 320-340 in my GTI+
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

My 95bhp beats gets around 340 miles to a tank.
I have noticed that since the milder weather came along, my MPG has improved dramatically.
I'm now getting mid 40MPG when I was barely scraping 40MPG before.
Maybe combination of warmer weather AND the engine getting looser (2400 miles).
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

My car is at 3500 miles and I looked and it is apparently doing 44mpg
I’ve just done around 35 miles today motorway driving and used again two bars
Must be something wrong with mine if a GTI + is getting better economy
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Kittycat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am My car is at 3500 miles and I looked and it is apparently doing 44mpg
There isn't something 'wrong', per se - not as in a fault.
Just that it's a low power engine, it's a very heavy car for its size and VW have given it high gearing.
So the engine is working hard and MPG suffers.
Conversely, the GTI engine won't have to work so hard to get the same speed.
To give you an idea of how heavy the Polo is, the weight range is from 1105kgs to 1280kgs depending on model.
A Nissan Micra is 977kgs to 1140kgs.
So a solo drive in a Polo is the same weight as a drive in a Micra with passengers.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Kittycat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am My car is at 3500 miles and I looked and it is apparently doing 44mpg
Is it possible that there’s a problem with your fuel gauge rather than your fuel consumption? When the gauge is showing the tank’s half full / half empty, how much fuel are you actually able to get in the tank to fill it? If the tank is genuinely half full / half empty it should take around 4.35 gallons / 19.77 litres to fill it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The analogue gauge is a joke, I don't even begin to take notice of it.
I use the 'miles to empty' display in the centre of the dash.
It goes up and down depending on how you're driving, but it's better than a wee dial.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

my gti shows around 500 to 520km with full tank :)