Polo Gti security

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo Gti security

Post by S_94 »

MattHGR wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:30 pm
S_94 wrote:
Cadwest wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am When you exit the car and press the keyfob to lock it you have about 5 seconds to press your thumb against a notch on the door handle which disables the keyless function. To unlock the car you have to press the keyfob, it will not unlock by just pulling the handle.
Does that mean the signal could not be boosted once you've pushed that notch on the door?
When you follow the instructions above, the key is still working as a keyless system, but the car no longer listens for it.
You can only click the buttons on the fob to unlock the car.
So it doesn't matter if someone tried to boost your car key signal and steal the car, because the car isn't listening for it anyway.
Hope that clears things up [emoji4]
Thanks Matt that's great to know. :)
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

I have a very simple and cheap solution :)
Just don't order the keyless access :)
Don't tick the box.
It is perfectly OK to press a button on a remote control. Even in the 21st century :)
With all the additional exercise it will save you money on going to the gym as well :D :D :lol:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ha Ha, the only problem is, on some models in some sales areas KESSY comes as part of the car, what annoys me slightly is having to have electric seats when only I drive my car, just think of the weight saving if they were not electric!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

fazzy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm I have a very simple and cheap solution :)
Just don't order the keyless access :)
Don't tick the box.
It is perfectly OK to press a button on a remote control. Even in the 21st century :)
With all the additional exercise it will save you money on going to the gym as well :D :D :lol:
Keyless is something I really, really miss on our Polo and Sportage.
After having it in our Juke/Leaf/Captur, it's a real pain to have to 'use' keys again.
jjones
New
Drives: 2019 polo gti+

Post by jjones »

Saturday night (6/July/2019) we had an attempted theft of the wife's 2019 pilot GTi+ at midnight. They were trying the signal boost. Keys are kept in RFI pouches and they were unsuccessful. Security upgraded with a disklock/CCTV and pir lighting.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jjones wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:08 pm Saturday night (6/July/2019) we had an attempted theft of the wife's 2019 pilot GTi+ at midnight. They were trying the signal boost. Keys are kept in RFI pouches and they were unsuccessful. Security upgraded with a disklock/CCTV and pir lighting.
Sorry to hear of your experience. Fortunately, they didn’t attempt to break in to your home to steal the keys when the signal amplification equipment wasn't able to pick up the signal from the key fob, so you and your family weren’t threatened or injured. It really angers me when people work hard to be able to have a decent car, and some unscrupulous scumbag thinks they’re entitled to help themselves to it.

Without disclosing where you live, are you in a part of the UK with a significant car crime problem? Assume you already had the CCTV and pir lighting in place to know what the attempted theft method was.

Don’t know if you are aware, but you can temporarily disable the keyless function. From the owner’s manual;

Temporarily deactivating Keyless Access
Keyless Access can be deactivated temporarily as described below so that the vehicle cannot be unlocked and started due to misuse by unauthorised third parties.
Lock the vehicle with the ‘lock’ button in the vehicle key.
In addition, touch the sensor on the outside of the door handle once within five seconds ⇒ Fig. 59Ⓑ . Do not reach into the door handle.
Keyless Access is now temporarily deactivated.
Check deactivation by waiting for at least ten seconds and then pull the door handle again. It should not be possible to open the door.

When the vehicle is next unlocked, it can be unlocked only using the vehicle key. The keyless locking and starting system Keyless Access is reactivated the next time the vehicle is unlocked.

Also worth checking your Faraday pouches from time to time to ensure they’re still fully blocking the signal emitted by the key fob as the protective layer in the pouches can degrade and fail over time.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Whenever my car is parked outside my house (or close to where I am) I always disable the keyless entry (using the method from the handbook), also (cos I'm paranoid) when it is parked at home the keys are always in a faraday pouch, if someone REALLY wants my car and they break in, said faraday pouch is on the side in the kitchen and they are welcome to take it at that point.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:54 pm Ha Ha, the only problem is, on some models in some sales areas KESSY comes as part of the car, what annoys me slightly is having to have electric seats when only I drive my car, just think of the weight saving if they were not electric!
Be nice to have the option that cars come with keyless is tick the box and not have it when you order a car.

After having a car stolen that had keyless really been but of it.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

There is a plug in module i know you can get that sits inline with the kessy module, trying to find the link....
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I use a small metal box( Xmas sweets box) on the grounds that the thicker the metal surrounding the keys the less chance there is of thieves picking up a signal. Additional benefit is that it cost nowt! Also if thieves break in would they look in a tin box for the keys?
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

barrywi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 pm I use a small metal box( Xmas sweets box) on the grounds that the thicker the metal surrounding the keys the less chance there is of thieves picking up a signal. Additional benefit is that it cost nowt! Also if thieves break in would they look in a tin box for the keys?
Plus you enjoyed the sweeties. Hope your car and other 'kessy vehicles' are secure....
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Unless you live in a pretty rough area with desperate thieves, I doubt anyone is going to break into your house for the keys to a Polo GTI - there are far quicker cars out there that are relatively common: Golf R, BMW135/140, Audi S3 etc.

If they can't grab your car by remote means, without the key, they won't bother.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:06 am Unless you live in a pretty rough area with desperate thieves, I doubt anyone is going to break into your house for the keys to a Polo GTI - there are far quicker cars out there that are relatively common: Golf R, BMW135/140, Audi S3 etc.

If they can't grab your car by remote means, without the key, they won't bother.
This is what i'm hoping might protect me! My neighbour has an S5, I'm hoping that would go first! Also, now that my housemates have moved and my new housemate doesn't drive, I get the secure parking space at the back of the house! You can't access it from the street without vaulting over a 2m tall gate, and there's nicer cars in there than an Ibiza anyway! :lol:

Having said that, I'd like there to be a way of turning off the KESSY system, dropping it to what Skoda call 'KESSY Go', which is just regular remote locking with a push button start, and to be able to do that with just a tick box in the infotainment.

I also saw that VW are updating the keys with a sensor that turns off KESSY if the key hasn't moved for more than 15 minutes, which is a great idea.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

vc-10 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:06 am Unless you live in a pretty rough area with desperate thieves, I doubt anyone is going to break into your house for the keys to a Polo GTI - there are far quicker cars out there that are relatively common: Golf R, BMW135/140, Audi S3 etc.

This is what i'm hoping might protect me! My neighbour has an S5, I'm hoping that would go first! Also, now that my housemates have moved and my new housemate doesn't drive, I get the secure parking space at the back of the house! You can't access it from the street without vaulting over a 2m tall gate, and there's nicer cars in there than an Ibiza anyway! :lol:

Having said that, I'd like there to be a way of turning off the KESSY system, dropping it to what Skoda call 'KESSY Go', which is just regular remote locking with a push button start, and to be able to do that with just a tick box in the infotainment.

I also saw that VW are updating the keys with a sensor that turns off KESSY if the key hasn't moved for more than 15 minutes, which is a great idea.
Ford key fobs for the latest Fiesta now go to ‘sleep’ now after a certain period of inactivity. Seat have also introduced this functionality on some Leons, so probably just a matter of time before it gets rolled out across VAG.
roakley
New
Drives: GTI Plus

Post by roakley »

Don't forget the hand brake/gear lever lock! - takes up less space! :D