Swap GTi plus for an electric VW

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Swap GTi plus for an electric VW

Post by alexperkins »

The charging plugs used on the public side are an agreed standard outlet type. What the manufacturer uses on the vehicle side is down to them to decide, so ultimately you can charge it anywhere as part of a wide network
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:28 pm Who in their right minds would go out and purchase an electric Polo @ £30,000+ ?
You've spent £21K+ on an ICE one....some would say that's not the behaviour of someone in their right mind - it's all relative.
There's no proof an electric Polo would cost £30000 but, even if it did, there are people who'd buy it.
People who want to avoid congestion charges, people who do a lot of miles and want to save fuel, people who want to reduce street-level pollution, people who enjoy the performance and silence of an electric car, people who still want to drive into town centres that will shortly become zero-emissions zones.
I get it, you're older and don't like technology.
But many of us do, we can see EVs are the future and we're embracing it.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:15 am
silverhairs wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:28 pm Who in their right minds would go out and purchase an electric Polo @ £30,000+ ?
You've spent £21K+ on an ICE one....some would say that's not the behaviour of someone in their right mind - it's all relative.
There's no proof an electric Polo would cost £30000 but, even if it did, there are people who'd buy it.
People who want to avoid congestion charges, people who do a lot of miles and want to save fuel, people who want to reduce street-level pollution, people who enjoy the performance and silence of an electric car, people who still want to drive into town centres that will shortly become zero-emissions zones.
I get it, you're older and don't like technology.
But many of us do, we can see EVs are the future and we're embracing it.
I purchased my Polo cash, if I hated my Polo as much, as you hate yours, I would have gone out and swapped it back to the EV I loved so much!!! It wouldn't of mattered how much it cost me.
So in reality, you cannot embrace your ideology of clean living. What car does the wife drive, isn't hers an ICE? What made you swap your EV for an ICE in the first place?
If a Nissan Leaf costs just over £27,000, what makes you think an electric Polo would not cost just over £30,000? The Polo is a much better car than a Leaf in quality and kerb appeal, so my figure of £30,000+ would be in the ball park.

One last thing, where you live, which towns or cities have, or are looking into "Zero-emissions zones?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:25 am I purchased my Polo cash, if I hated my Polo as much, as you hate yours, I would have gone out and swapped it back to the EV I loved so much!!! It wouldn't of mattered how much it cost me.
So in reality, you cannot embrace your ideology of clean living. What car does the wife drive, isn't hers an ICE? What made you swap your EV for an ICE in the first place?
If a Nissan Leaf costs just over £27,000, what makes you think an electric Polo would not cost just over £30,000? The Polo is a much better car than a Leaf in quality and kerb appeal, so my figure of £30,000+ would be in the ball park.

One last thing, where you live, which towns or cities have, or are looking into "Zero-emissions zones?
I've given my reasons for temporarily going back to ICE before, I'll let you look them up again rather than repeat myself.
A Leaf is a good bit bigger than a Polo, so I wouldn't expect an electric Polo to cost as much, no.
The E-Golf and Leaf are comparatively priced.
If you think VWs are 'much better' than Nissan in terms of build quality, that's your opinion rather than quantifiable fact.
I've owned examples from both and would say they're pretty much on a par these days, there's not the gulf in quality there was in the 80s/90s.
Again, kerb appeal isn't a quantifiable fact, some people like Polos and some like Leafs.....
Plenty of towns are looking into emission-free zones, Aberdeen and others plan to introduce them in 2020.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

alexperkins wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:03 pm For all concerned - this behaviour needs to to stop. It’s out of keeping with forum rules and the atmosphere here is becoming very fragile

Any members contravening the above will be banned and their posts removed

It’s a shame it’s come to this, but guys please get along. This is a community for collaboration. If you want an argument, find somewhere else to have it.
Alex, Just because members have failed to agree, you going to ban them? What about one of your "bling bling diamond member" "rum4mo" who has 3752 posts, can call other members "PUPPETS" and you don't say a word about him, is there one rule for one and another rule for "bling bling" members?
It would be nice if "rum4mo" gave an apology to the two members in the forum, if he finds this too embarrassing I would accept if he PM'd me as well as the other member.
Don't make this forum into a clicky forum, if you have some members who have a mind of their own, and stand up to their thoughts, ban them, is that the correct answer?

Remember, members can stop seeing what other members have posted, by just clicking a button.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Silverhairs, there's really no need for you to be in this particular thread at all.
You've already made it clear in other posts that you don't want to do anything but scoff at electric cars.
So you're just in this thread to antagonise, end of.
You've admitted you're phishing on a post! :evil:
Which is why I politely asked you to leave this thread earlier, as I was trying to respect the Mods wishes of avoiding arguments.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I'm new here (don't have a Polo yet) but do currently have an ICE car (Leon 1.9tsi DSG) and an EV (BMW i3 94Ah).

My advice would be that if you are planing on making an EV your main car (ours is a 2nd mostly city used one) do your homework very carefully beforehand.

Make sure you can have at least a 7kw charger installed at home, if you can have a 3 phase 22kw even better as EV's come out with more and more range the time to charge is going to go up, one rule of EV ownership is (if you have a drive with a charger) is "always be charging", our i3 is always plugged in and ready to go when at home, this also has the advantage of being able to set pre-conditioning so the cabin is always at 21c and the battery at the correct operating temp before settings off, this has a HUGE impact on range, esp in winter and hot summer days, not all EV's have active thermal control for the batteries (ie the Leaf) so check before buying, it also helps a lot with keeping them in the best condition.

Personally, for the next couple of rounds of car changes we are going to keep it as an EV for 2nd car and ICE for the main, even though we probably replace the i3 next year with a Hyundai Kona which has almost 300 mile range, though I am hoping the VW ID cars are ready by the end of the year so we can consider them (i3 is on a business lease and due to return the end of next March).

I will say though that I use the i3 whenever I can, when my partner has a meeting which is juist inside the range of the i3 I always encourage them to take the Leon (just in case!) and let me use the i3 to take to work, there is nothing like the quiet and relaxing drive of an EV in the morning and evening rush hours, plus I can get the gaps in traffic with it's instant power that I couldn't even think about with an ICE, guys in their diesel Audis and BMWs always seem upset with me at the traffic lights for some reason! :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:33 pm our i3 is always plugged in and ready to go when at home, this also has the advantage of being able to set pre-conditioning so the cabin is always at 21c and the battery at the correct operating temp before settings off, this has a HUGE impact on range, esp in winter and hot summer days
Does the i3 need to be plugged in to do this?
The Leaf doesn't.
You can set the Leaf to heat up (or cool down) via a timer in the car, or 'on demand' using the app.
A lot of people moaned about the app, but I didn't have an issue with it in a year.
I'd love an i3S, what a stunning little car, but simply can't justify the cost for my meagre needs.
The chunkier wheels and tyres of the S make it look better than the normal i3, IMO.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

No the i3 doesn't need to be plugged in to activate the cabin climate control, though it is best to do so as it doesn't waste battery charge when plugged in, but for the active battery temp control to bring the battery up or down to the optimal temp (which I don't believe the Leaf has?) it does, pref on at least a 7kw charger, though it will work in 240v counties (like the UK) on the 3 pin OUC charger but that can't keep the battery fully charged while doing so.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 pm No the i3 doesn't need to be plugged in to activate the cabin climate control, though it is best to do so as it doesn't waste battery charge when plugged in, but for the active battery temp control to bring the battery up or down to the optimal temp (which I don't believe the Leaf has?) it does, pref on at least a 7kw charger, though it will work in 240v counties (like the UK) on the 3 pin OUC charger but that can't keep the battery fully charged while doing so.
No, the 24/30/40 Leaf doesn't have any form of thermal management of the battery.
I believe the 60 will.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:49 pm No, the 24/30/40 Leaf doesn't have any form of thermal management of the battery.
I believe the 60 will.
It makes a huge difference in cases of extreme weather, no wonder the increase in range Nissan are stating for the 60 is so much, will also mean longer lasting battery packs as well.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm It makes a huge difference in cases of extreme weather, no wonder the increase in range Nissan are stating for the 60 is so much, will also mean longer lasting battery packs as well.
Battery life is something Nissan owners, in the UK at least, don't seem to have to worry about at all.
Cars with only marginal loss after 150000 miles etc.
Earlier cars in 'sunshine states' in the USA were having problems if they left their cars out in the sun, but that was early Leafs and may have been sorted by now.
This is one of the reasons Nissan got rid of the 'flex' battery rental thing, the batteries just don't need the reassurance of the warranty that offered.
TBH I'm surprised Renault are still doing battery rental on the Zoe, it makes the cost of one of those a bit silly.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 am
stevereeves wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm Something else to take into account as it wouldn't be much fun arriving at a charge point, low on volts and discover 'the hard way' you have the wrong plug or lead. Just sayin'....
It doesn't work like this....
Every public charge point has the ability to charge every electric car.
People don't get 'stuck' at chargers.
If you change your car to a different type of plug (like the new Leaf uses a different plug from the old Leaf) you just fit a new cable to your home charger.
I'm not gettin' into a for / against electric cars thing, I don't know enough about them to form much of an opinion. My point was, and I checked wigh my father last nite, the outlet defo said "Nisssan & Renault", so it might be reasonable to assume VWs, for example, can't be charged at this particular outlet. Unless the outlets have a standard connection or fitting at the 'charge end' of the lead and maunfacturers use their own connnection at the 'car end'. Years ago my brother raced R/C cars and the connections for battery, charger etc were an industry standard, so anyone could walk into pretty much any model shop and buy a new battery, leads or charger and know it would work with whatever car or charging equipment they have. He told me many users had 'fast chargers', took about 45mins but reduced battery life and 'trickle chargers', took say a couple of hours....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm My point was, and I checked wigh my father last nite, the outlet defo said "Nisssan & Renault", so it might be reasonable to assume VWs, for example, can't be charged at this particular outlet.
The Zoe and Leaf both use type 2 plugs for 'normal' charging.
But so do lots of other electric cars, BMW/Hyundai etc.etc.
Here's a good guide for you to look at if you're bored.
https://pod-point.com/landing-pages/lis ... ctor-types
VW won't decide on a plug that isn't freely available, that would be spectacularly stupid and simply won't happen.
For rapid charging, there's the choice of CCS or Chademo.
I've asked an EV forum for their thoughts on which the VW will use, but both are available on public chargers.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

Type 2 plugs are what most European manufacturers (plus Hyundai\Kia) use and is the one which is being pushed to make the EU standard. Rapid chargers tend to have both CCS (which is the extended type 2) and Chademo on them, one each side of the charger. Even European Tesla's come with Type 2, they use their own design in the US for now.

The issue of connector types will soon be gone I think, also VAG use Type 2 on their current EVs and PHEVs.