What would you change about your Polo?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Re: What would you change about your Polo?

Post by Kittycat »

If I could go back I think knowing what I know now I would have seriously questioned ordering the car at all
I would though if I could change anything would be
Bigger fuel tank
Ordered a diesel for better fuel economy, currently getting 220 miles on a tank
The screen wash tank be bigger
Possibly a different colour
Ordered a 115 instead of the 95 and got the 6th gear
Ordered the LED headlights
Possible lane assist

Can tell I’ve not gelled with this car at all, private plate is still not on and won’t be
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Kittycat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 pm If I could go back I think knowing what I know now I would have seriously questioned ordering the car at all
Bigger fuel tank
Possible lane assist

Can tell I’ve not gelled with this car at all, private plate is still not on and won’t be
Wow! 220 miles a tank is shocking - do you have an exceptionally short commute, or stuck in perpetual gridlock (or both)? My GTI gives me about 280 miles per tank (34mpg average), on a moderately congested 13 miles each way commute (20-25mph average trip speed on my commute).
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 pm
Kittycat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 pm If I could go back I think knowing what I know now I would have seriously questioned ordering the car at all
Bigger fuel tank
Possible lane assist

Wow! 220 miles a tank is shocking - do you have an exceptionally short commute, or stuck in perpetual gridlock (or both)? My GTI gives me about 280 miles per tank (34mpg average), on a moderately congested 13 miles each way commute (20-25mph average trip speed on my commute).
To be honest my work commute can varie
Some days I can do 50 miles a day and others I can do a mile
If I go into the city weekly it’s around a 30 mile journey
But I had a shot of a 1.0 polo before I got mine and actually thought there was a problem with the needle on the dash as i ran it for ages before it budged from full.
See if my car was a GTI I would have no reason to moan and would expect it to be around this mile range
However I’m averaging around 100 miles less and it’s a 1.0
It’s going into VW this week for investigation as even the guy in service said that it didn’t sound right when my car went for recall with the seatbelt
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You might want to log the following for VW (and maybe us too):-

Daily or trip miles (trip resets after 2 hours of car inactivity), average speed for trip, mpg.

If you've an average trip speed of more than 20mph in mixed traffic, you've faced a little congestion and at least 40mpg is expected for more than a 10 mile journey.

Average trip speed of more than 30mph then congestion is negligible and you should be pushing 50mpg for a 10 mile trip.

For a 1 mile journey on a cold engine then you'd be lucky to break 20mpg.

I'm guessing that your "tank fill" is in the region of 38l/8.5 Gallon for tank average of 27mpg (so you don't run the tank completely dry between fills).
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

The hard plastic interior doors. Change to soft touch.

Great so far was long trip fuel consumption.
On a 1300km trip 5.9 litre per 100km average speed 94km/h.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

jackois wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:54 pm I'd illuminate the ignition key slot... I'm forever fumbling about for it in the dark!
I got Keyless. It solves that problem. The start stop button is well lit.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Mine will have keyless but you know where the ignition barrel is after a short time. I don't think I even look anymore, it's just muscle memory.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 pm Wow! 220 miles a tank is shocking - do you have an exceptionally short commute, or stuck in perpetual gridlock (or both)? My GTI gives me about 280 miles per tank (34mpg average), on a moderately congested 13 miles each way commute (20-25mph average trip speed on my commute).
I have an exceptionally short commute, I'm only 3 miles each way.
But even I'm getting 340 miles to tank.
Something seriously wrong with that car if it's only doing 220 miles per tank.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

peeceeuk wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:44 pm Mine will have keyless but you know where the ignition barrel is after a short time. I don't think I even look anymore, it's just muscle memory.
Or do what I used to do when I had my first car, a 2002 Polo which didn't even have central locking, let alone remote locking. In the dark I would put my finger along the length of the key when putting it into the lock, so that I could feel for the slot and not scratch the paintwork. Same thing can be done with the ignition too, although I'd agree with @peeceeuk, it's muscle memory after a few weeks!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm I think that all the parking sensors on the current generation of parking controller that VW Group have been using for maybe almost 10years are always active when stationary and stay active up to maybe 10KPH - or more. It took me a short time to become aware of that after driving my own car that has the previous generation on parking sensors which the rears are only active when reverse is selected, or auto activate if starting the engine in a confined space, with that car I need to remember to manually switch the system on when driving into a parking space etc to enable the front sensors now that I also drive a Polo that does that itself - one day I will fail!
Hang on though....I need clarification as I'm confused. :)
Apart from the fact I thought rear sensors needed reverse to be selected, I've twice had the car slam on the brakes when I've been reversing and it's assumed I've not seen stuff.
This isn't normal parking sensor behaviour, so I assumed it was an anti rear-collision device as well...? :?:
My Polo GTI+ does not activate rear parking sensors unless I'm in reverse, nor does my MK7 Golf R, or any VW I have previously had which has had factory tot parking sensors. All sensors do stop working above a certain speed (8mph-ish), presumably because the feedback update rate of the sensors can't keep up above that speed.

I've never had the rear sensors activate when only going forward. Not sure if the car is intelligent enough to put rears on if you simply roll backwards from a standstill. The front sensors can and do come on themselves if you're crawling in traffic, thanks to the highly irritating "park assist" that I have to turn off every journey (but stays off on the Golf once you have opted not to have it on).
I'm in a loan car at the moment, and there are two notable differences to my regular GTI+, firstly with stop / start the engine does not restart if the vehicle in front moves off as it does in the GTI. Secondarily it does appear that the rear parking sensors are triggered in traffic, as I have them come on with the only warning indication coming from the rear sensors. I've never observed this in 9K of miles in the GTI.. :?
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The auto-restart when the car in front moves off is part of the ACC system I believe.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

roywolfey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am I'm in a loan car at the moment, and there are two notable differences to my regular GTI+, firstly with stop / start the engine does not restart if the vehicle in front moves off as it does in the GTI.
The car restarts just because the car in front has moved off?
Why on earth would VW put that completely unnecessary feature on a car....?
I can't get my head around anything other than driver input re-starting the car, not the actions of others around you.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:07 am
roywolfey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am I'm in a loan car at the moment, and there are two notable differences to my regular GTI+, firstly with stop / start the engine does not restart if the vehicle in front moves off as it does in the GTI.
The car restarts just because the car in front has moved off?
Why on earth would VW put that completely unnecessary feature on a car....?
I can't get my head around anything other than driver input re-starting the car, not the actions of others around you.
It annoys the hell out of me - stuck in a line of traffic at the lights with the engine off and the cars all bunch up a little bit and my car fires up to go without any input from me. Clearly they think that the driver is incapable of decoding when to restart and move off. It can't be switched off either.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 am It annoys the hell out of me - stuck in a line of traffic at the lights with the engine off and the cars all bunch up a little bit and my car fires up to go without any input from me. Clearly they think that the driver is incapable of decoding when to restart and move off. It can't be switched off either.
With this and the auto-braking, VW clearly think all their owners are idiots.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I suspect cars with ACC start when the vehicle in front moves away is due to the traffic assist system that comes with ACC.