What would you change about your Polo?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
zdenek_kalok
New
Drives: 2018 AW

What would you change about your Polo?

Post by zdenek_kalok »

What would owners change about their Polo?

Any specs, any modification, a different colour etc.

Are you planning to make the changes?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: What would you change about your Polo?

Post by Andy Beats »

I'd permanently disable the anti-collision software.
All of it, front and rear.
Unfortunately, not possible. :cry:
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I would have ordered a larger fuel tank if one was on offer. say 60 ltrs. that would keep me out of the fuel station for ages.

I would dearly have liked the 1.5 evo engine. 2.0l GTI is not for me if the GTI was the only polo available I would not have got one.

I would also have liked a completely polished chrome colour option.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Disable the auto start up when stop start is on and the car in front budges a foot.

Prevent stop-start kicking in before the car comes to a stop.

Bigger fuel tank.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Stop/start off by default or at least only activates when I put the car in neutral or park like it does in the manual car
Swanee
New
Drives: 2018 GTi+

Post by Swanee »

The hi-fi....it's terrible! My 1.4 was quite good, the 1.8 ok but the 2.0l is really tinny.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:39 pm I'd permanently disable the anti-collision software.
All of it, front and rear.
Unfortunately, not possible. :cry:
I've never had the anti-collision activated at any point, and I haven't disabled it. :?:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 am I've never had the anti-collision activated at any point, and I haven't disabled it. :?:
Ok, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point....
I had the rear collision warning triggering all the time into town the other day, because a stupid young person was driving far too close behind me.
Very, very annoying to have my music constantly being cut out by the warning.
Nothing I can do about someone tailgaiting me, why tell me every 30 seconds?
What am I supposed to do, pull over and let them past just to stop stupid warnings from the car? :?:
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Better headlights
Heated front windscreen
Standard 15 inch wheels instead of the 16 inch that it came with - ride too jiggly and unsettled drives me nuts.
Better gearing - high gearing robs it of any get up and go from standstill
Cruise control instead of the cheap speed limiter function
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 am
EmiLiuZ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 am I've never had the anti-collision activated at any point, and I haven't disabled it. :?:
Ok, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point....
I had the rear collision warning triggering all the time into town the other day, because a stupid young person was driving far too close behind me.
Very, very annoying to have my music constantly being cut out by the warning.
Nothing I can do about someone tailgaiting me, why tell me every 30 seconds?
What am I supposed to do, pull over and let them past just to stop stupid warnings from the car? :?:
You sure it’s not the rear parking sensors that are triggering the warning? I’ve got parking sensors on my previous generation Polo GTI and if I’m in stop start traffic and the car behind gets to close, it’ll trigger the rear parking sensors, and cut the radio volume. As far as I’m aware, the only other rear collision warning system on the current Polo is the optional Rear Traffic Alert which is bundled with the blind spot detection. Rear Traffic Alert is only active when reverse gear has been selected.

From the Polo price list brochure;
Blind spot detection with rear traffic alert
Radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots. The system also sees fast approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes with visual warning via light in door mirror housing. Rear traffic alert monitors the area to the rear and both sides when in reverse gear. If it detects a vehicle moving towards you, the system provides audio and visual warnings and will initiate braking if necessary.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm You sure it’s not the rear parking sensors that are triggering the warning? I’ve got parking sensors on my previous generation Polo GTI and if I’m in stop start traffic and the car behind gets to close, it’ll trigger the rear parking sensors, and cut the radio volume.
You could be right, I've just never heard of rear parking sensors that are active all the time, I assumed the rear parking sensors actually needed reverse to be selected.
This is why I assumed it was a rear-end version of the woeful front-end collision warning system.
Why on earth would VW make the rear parking sensors active all the time....? :shock:
Is there a way to select them only being active when reverse is used??
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that all the parking sensors on the current generation of parking controller that VW Group have been using for maybe almost 10years are always active when stationary and stay active up to maybe 10KPH - or more. It took me a short time to become aware of that after driving my own car that has the previous generation on parking sensors which the rears are only active when reverse is selected, or auto activate if starting the engine in a confined space, with that car I need to remember to manually switch the system on when driving into a parking space etc to enable the front sensors now that I also drive a Polo that does that itself - one day I will fail!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swanee
New
Drives: 2018 GTi+

Post by Swanee »

Andy...You are totally wrong about the front-end collision warning. It is most certainly not woeful. It saved me from crashing into the rear of a hard braking car with no brake lights on Sunday. My 2litre GTi+ is £55 / annum less to insure than my previous 1.8 due to its increased safety. Plus the adaptive cruise control is utterly brilliant and keeps me safe in close traffic.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Swanee wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:23 pm Andy...You are totally wrong about the front-end collision warning. It is most certainly not woeful. It saved me from crashing into the rear of a hard braking car with no brake lights on Sunday. My 2litre GTi+ is £55 / annum less to insure than my previous 1.8 due to its increased safety. Plus the adaptive cruise control is utterly brilliant and keeps me safe in close traffic.
I'm not 'wrong', it's only my opinion.
I hate it with a passion, I'd honestly pay extra insurance not to have it.
I've got used to switching it off quickly, three presses of the right hand steering wheel button disables it.
I don't have adaptive cruise.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm I think that all the parking sensors on the current generation of parking controller that VW Group have been using for maybe almost 10years are always active when stationary and stay active up to maybe 10KPH - or more. It took me a short time to become aware of that after driving my own car that has the previous generation on parking sensors which the rears are only active when reverse is selected, or auto activate if starting the engine in a confined space, with that car I need to remember to manually switch the system on when driving into a parking space etc to enable the front sensors now that I also drive a Polo that does that itself - one day I will fail!
Hang on though....I need clarification as I'm confused. :)
Apart from the fact I thought rear sensors needed reverse to be selected, I've twice had the car slam on the brakes when I've been reversing and it's assumed I've not seen stuff.
This isn't normal parking sensor behaviour, so I assumed it was an anti rear-collision device as well...? :?: