What would you change about your Polo?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CJ-77
New
Drives: Polo 1.0TSI SE

Re: What would you change about your Polo?

Post by CJ-77 »

Cheers, Griff. I'll check Waze out.
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

Now I would definitely go for 17" Pamplona Dark alloys. They would look awesome with energetic orange. I'd never thought I would even care about alloys size but now that I have the car and all the time to look at it, I changed my mind. I went with standard 15" and I regret it. Now it's my number one priority if I decide to spend some more money on the Polo.
coastline88
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95PS

Post by coastline88 »

phillos wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:40 pm
JMiddo94 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
If you have the Composition Media with 6 speakers, the following settings made a major change in the demo vehicle I tested.

Fader -5 to rear

Bass -4
Mids -1
Treble -1

You're welcome!

Story time:
The 6 speaker setup consists of 2 tweeters A pillars, 2 bass speakers in the front doors, as well as to broadband in the rear doors. I guess they forgot to tune them before going into production.
Phillos, Thank you for posting this.

OK, I have an untrained ear but this seems to make a massive improvement. Should have its own post.

How did you come up with these settings? Just trial and error or something a little more scientific?

Thanks again, just love free upgrades. I owe you a beer.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

coastline88 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:01 am
phillos wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:40 pm
JMiddo94 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
If you have the Composition Media with 6 speakers, the following settings made a major change in the demo vehicle I tested.

Fader -5 to rear

Bass -4
Mids -1
Treble -1

You're welcome!

Story time:
The 6 speaker setup consists of 2 tweeters A pillars, 2 bass speakers in the front doors, as well as to broadband in the rear doors. I guess they forgot to tune them before going into production.
Phillos, Thank you for posting this.

OK, I have an untrained ear but this seems to make a massive improvement. Should have its own post.

How did you come up with these settings? Just trial and error or something a little more scientific?

Thanks again, just love free upgrades. I owe you a beer.
Probably not very scientific, but I remember reading about the rear speakers being broadband speakers. And I felt the default sound was very tinny, so I figured let's pump some more sound back there. Initially it made a huge difference, the fine tuning (bass/mid/treble) is just personal preference.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Now that we have rain for the first time in god knows how long, I'm reminded how noisy the wipers are.
I posted a video of it when the car was new.
Not the blades, no juddering or noise there.
The mechanism/motor is the noisiest I've come across, very loud whirring.
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am Now that we have rain for the first time in god knows how long, I'm reminded how noisy the wipers are.
can you give me link of that video?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Cro_vw wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am Now that we have rain for the first time in god knows how long, I'm reminded how noisy the wipers are.
can you give me link of that video?
Here's the post with the video link:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72223&p=544829&hil ... rs#p544829
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That "feature" has also been commented on in the 6C Polo section, some people consider that it sounds a bit over worked so might fail a bit early in life!
TomasSEL
New
Drives: Reef Blue Manual SEL

Post by TomasSEL »

Not really what I'd change about the Car,but on my Reef Blue Manual SEL,the Headliner above Drivers door isn't attached properly and is hanging down, being fixed under Warranty. Keep your eyes peeled anyone awaiting Handover.Car has done 275 Miles,Happy with 45mpg average Long Term.I do Mix of Town and Country driving,65-70 Mph,so happy with that.Nice Car to drive.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I'd add a manual gearbox, make climate standard on a GTI. Footrest to use when in cruise. Probably change it into the Cooper S we were originally considering.
Last edited by steeve on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

You would think that when you get a GTI it would have nearly everything on it, but no, you have to go up to a GTI+ for the extra's
It's like the Beat, it's a bog standard SE with a boom box, oh and a strip down the bonnet.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 pm That "feature" has also been commented on in the 6C Polo section, some people consider that it sounds a bit over worked so might fail a bit early in life!
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same unit as in the Skoda Rapid- the motor failed in my parents' '17 Rapid last summer.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

steeve wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm I'd add a manual gearbox, make climate standard on a GTI.
that is standard in central europe :D
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Is weird how specs differ across Europe, we don't even get the option of a manual GTi in the UK (not that I would want one myself, my current car is DSG and I'm never going back to shifting myself). We get the 2 setting adjustable suspension as standard here (and I doubt many people ever have it in anything other than normal) but climate is optional in both normal and + GTi's.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff74 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 pm Is weird how specs differ across Europe, we don't even get the option of a manual GTi in the UK (not that I would want one myself, my current car is DSG and I'm never going back to shifting myself). We get the 2 setting adjustable suspension as standard here (and I doubt many people ever have it in anything other than normal) but climate is optional in both normal and + GTi's.
There is a whole host of items possible to add to a Polo, Golf or whatever other model you want. The supplier for the domestic market picks what spec packs they'll provide for their markets, sets prices and in doing so, limits what you can get in your car in your market. VWUK could quite easily make manual available in the UK - VAG GmbH isn't stopping them. Similarly, some markets have access to colours that others don't. A Silver colour would've been my first choice. Even though you can get bog standard Polos in (Reflex?) Silver, VW UK won't let you order a Silver GTI. It's possible that other markets have access to spec a Silver GTI.

Trim levels are also named differently between markets -SE/SEL/R-Line in UK, cars approximating the same level of equipment are known as "Low Line", "High Line" and "Sport line" elsewhere.

I'd have had a manual, given a choice - greater level of control and £1450 saved.