What would you change about your Polo?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Re: What would you change about your Polo?

Post by green justin »

mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 pm I would have ordered a larger fuel tank if one was on offer. say 60 ltrs. that would keep me out of the fuel station for ages.

I would dearly have liked the 1.5 evo engine. 2.0l GTI is not for me if the GTI was the only polo available I would not have got one.

I would also have liked a completely polished chrome colour option.
I Have to agree, larger fuel tank at least 50 litres.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm I think that all the parking sensors on the current generation of parking controller that VW Group have been using for maybe almost 10years are always active when stationary and stay active up to maybe 10KPH - or more. It took me a short time to become aware of that after driving my own car that has the previous generation on parking sensors which the rears are only active when reverse is selected, or auto activate if starting the engine in a confined space, with that car I need to remember to manually switch the system on when driving into a parking space etc to enable the front sensors now that I also drive a Polo that does that itself - one day I will fail!
Hang on though....I need clarification as I'm confused. :)
Apart from the fact I thought rear sensors needed reverse to be selected, I've twice had the car slam on the brakes when I've been reversing and it's assumed I've not seen stuff.
This isn't normal parking sensor behaviour, so I assumed it was an anti rear-collision device as well...? :?:
My Polo GTI+ does not activate rear parking sensors unless I'm in reverse, nor does my MK7 Golf R, or any VW I have previously had which has had factory tot parking sensors. All sensors do stop working above a certain speed (8mph-ish), presumably because the feedback update rate of the sensors can't keep up above that speed.

I've never had the rear sensors activate when only going forward. Not sure if the car is intelligent enough to put rears on if you simply roll backwards from a standstill. The front sensors can and do come on themselves if you're crawling in traffic, thanks to the highly irritating "park assist" that I have to turn off every journey (but stays off on the Golf once you have opted not to have it on).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

green justin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:18 pm
mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 pm I would have ordered a larger fuel tank if one was on offer. say 60 ltrs. that would keep me out of the fuel station for ages.

I would dearly have liked the 1.5 evo engine. 2.0l GTI is not for me if the GTI was the only polo available I would not have got one.

I would also have liked a completely polished chrome colour option.
I Have to agree, larger fuel tank at least 50 litres.
They've been downsizing fuel tanks since 2012 when the MK7 GOLF came out. They did have the good sense to retain the larger tank for the thirstier Golf R - maybe they should've given the Polo GTI a larger tank than the 1.0 variants, so all Polo's have a similar expected tank range.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm My Polo GTI+ does not activate rear parking sensors unless I'm in reverse, nor does my MK7 Golf R, or any VW I have previously had which has had factory tot parking sensors. All sensors do stop working above a certain speed (8mph-ish), presumably because the feedback update rate of the sensors can't keep up above that speed.

I've never had the rear sensors activate when only going forward. Not sure if the car is intelligent enough to put rears on if you simply roll backwards from a standstill. The front sensors can and do come on themselves if you're crawling in traffic, thanks to the highly irritating "park assist" that I have to turn off every journey (but stays off on the Golf once you have opted not to have it on).
So the confusion continues...
Here's what's happened with the rear of my car

1. Had it trigger the left rear corner repeatedly in crawling traffic -only the left rear corner and the car behind wasn't particularly close.
2. Had it trigger repeatedly because of the tailgater - that was at higher than crawling speed.
3. Had the car slam the brakes on in reverse when reversing out of my drive.
4. Had the car slam the brakes on when reversing along a narrow archway that takes me out of a mate's flat's courtyard.

With regard to reverse only activation, I'm positive I've noticed the rear parking sensors DO keep going if you're in neutral.
I'm sure I've been in situation where I've free-wheeled down a hill and been surprised the sensors still activated.
I'll check later.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 pm maybe they should've given the Polo GTI a larger tank than the 1.0 variants, so all Polo's have a similar expected tank range.
The Gti does the same MPG as the 1.0, going by owner reports on here.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I'm with SRGTD. My 2015 GTI will trigger the rear parking sensors sometimes if I'm in slow moving or stopped traffic and the car behind gets too close.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

The anti collision system is something I have usually left off the options list as I always felt it could be too sensitive at times.
I've read Andy's posts slating the system and others stating it's virtue.
It's the one thing I'm not looking forward to with the new car. However I will see how it goes. I would be prepared to dump the car if it was truly that awful. Worst case scenario surely?!

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm The anti collision system is something I have usually left off the options list as I always felt it could be too sensitive at times.
It's the one thing I'm not looking forward to with the new car. However I will see how it goes. I would be prepared to dump the car if it was truly that awful. Worst case scenario surely?!

Mine doesn't bug me on a daily basis like it used to, because I've switched routes to work (a bypass opened).
On my old route, one particular corner lined with a wall used to trigger it every single time....
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Andy Beats wrote:
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm The anti collision system is something I have usually left off the options list as I always felt it could be too sensitive at times.

Mine doesn't bug me on a daily basis like it used to, because I've switched routes to work (a bypass opened).
On my old route, one particular corner lined with a wall used to trigger it every single time....
I feel reassured now. Any problems on my usual routes and I'll get the council to redesign the road and remove street furniture. [emoji3]

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I have rear pre crash protection on mine. it is supposed to pre tension seat belts close the sunroof and windows. One of those things you can test and hope you never have to use.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm I think that all the parking sensors on the current generation of parking controller that VW Group have been using for maybe almost 10years are always active when stationary and stay active up to maybe 10KPH - or more. It took me a short time to become aware of that after driving my own car that has the previous generation on parking sensors which the rears are only active when reverse is selected, or auto activate if starting the engine in a confined space, with that car I need to remember to manually switch the system on when driving into a parking space etc to enable the front sensors now that I also drive a Polo that does that itself - one day I will fail!
Hang on though....I need clarification as I'm confused. :)
Apart from the fact I thought rear sensors needed reverse to be selected, I've twice had the car slam on the brakes when I've been reversing and it's assumed I've not seen stuff.
This isn't normal parking sensor behaviour, so I assumed it was an anti rear-collision device as well...? :?:
My Polo GTI+ does not activate rear parking sensors unless I'm in reverse, nor does my MK7 Golf R, or any VW I have previously had which has had factory tot parking sensors. All sensors do stop working above a certain speed (8mph-ish), presumably because the feedback update rate of the sensors can't keep up above that speed.

My wife's August 2015 Polo SEL does not have any other safety functions fitted as far as front/rear sensors are concerned and I became very aware the second day she owned it that while stopped in traffic, any moving backwards of traffic in front will cause the front parking sensors to warn when it comes within range and same for rear parking sensors if traffic behind creeps forward - obviously the same when anyone crosses the road between cars.

What I was posting in response to Andy Beats posting just before that was to clarify when the parking controller is enabled on newer cars- nothing else.

Edit:- my comment about this being the way things have been for VW Group cars for 10 years is only approximate and obviously only or mainly covers models that were launched over that period, so example my B8 S4 was first launched back in 2008 and so has the previous generation of parking controller, it stayed that way until the B8.5 was launched in 2011/2012 as far as Audi A4 is concerned.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 pm maybe they should've given the Polo GTI a larger tank than the 1.0 variants, so all Polo's have a similar expected tank range.
The Gti does the same MPG as the 1.0, going by owner reports on here.
Not on average -my best in the GTI (47mpg on a long run) is equivalent to most 1.0TSI owners average or worst. Even averaging 34mpg on my last tank equates to only 275 miles a tank to zero miles range. My R manages more miles per full tank (although that tank is 55l).

Just had a thought about your carjumping on the brakes automatically within tight spaces - have you tried turning off manoeuvre braking, within the parking menu? You may have to do it every trip like having to turn off parking assist every trip.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Here is what should be an easy test/check as to if the parking controller is always active:- start car up when initially well away from obstacles - then either get out and walk round it near enough the front and rear bumpers to trigger the sensor alarms or get someone to do that for you while you remain in the car - if the OPS warns that there is an obstacle then they are always active, if not then I am wrong wrt the AW Polo.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:12 am Here is what should be an easy test/check as to if the parking controller is always active:- start car up when initially well away from obstacles - then either get out and walk round it near enough the front and rear bumpers to trigger the sensor alarms or get someone to do that for you while you remain in the car - if the OPS warns that there is an obstacle then they are always active, if not then I am wrong wrt the AW Polo.
The front and rear beepers and screen display definitely DO trigger for people walking close to the car.
I've had it happen loads of times when sitting waiting to pick up the kids from classes and people are milling around.
Here's a photo of mine triggering last night in traffic for absolutely no apparent reason. :cry:
If I were too close to the car in front, or the car behind were too close, I'd have expected the 'zones' in the display to show this.
But, as you can see, nothing in the zones to suggest there's a hazard...
Anyone care to hazard any guess as to why it triggered...... :?: :?: :?:
display.jpg
Last edited by Andy Beats on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Don’t know if this is true or not, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a vehicle in front of / behind your car has parking sensors, the signal given off by their sensors can sometimes trigger yours. I’ve had my front sensors triggered in stop-go traffic and I’ve not been close enough to the vehicle in front to set them off. I didn’t notice whether or not it had rear parking sensors though.

My rear sensors sometimes beep after I’ve reversed out of my garage, and I’ve put the car into neutral / handbrake on while I get out of the car to close the garage door. There’s nothing behind the car or ‘within range’ to trigger the rear sensors though, it doesn’t happen every time and it doesn’t bother me.