Shared parts

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Wen
New
Drives: Seat Ibiza fr

Shared parts

Post by Wen »

Can anyone tell me if The new polo shares the same exhaust as the new Ibiza and if so would it be a straight swap to fit the Ibiza with a performance one that’s meant for the polo?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Shared parts

Post by Andy Beats »

Surely the manufacturer of the Polo exhaust should be able to tell you very quickly?
If it's the same part number in their system for both cars, it'll fit.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wen wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am Can anyone tell me if The new polo shares the same exhaust as the new Ibiza and if so would it be a straight swap to fit the Ibiza with a performance one that’s meant for the polo?
If I'm understanding you right, you want to fit a performance exhaust meant for a Polo to an Ibiza, because the vendor doesn't officially make one for the Ibiza?

If that's the case, are you swapping like for like? It will probably be (unconfirmed, but highly likely) the case that an exhaust meant for a Polo 2.0TSI GTI would not fit an Ibiza with a 1.0TSI engine variant.

You will quite possibly find that a performance exhaust intended for a 115ps 1.0 Polo will fit a 115ps 1.0 Ibiza.

Best way to check is with your local TPS branch (who stock parts for all VAG cars) or on Ekta, to see if your Ibiza's existing (original) exhaust system and that of the the equivalent Polo engine share the same main part number. If they do then what's good for the Polo should also be good for the Ibiza.
Wen
New

Post by Wen »

monkeyhanger wrote:
Wen wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am Can anyone tell me if The new polo shares the same exhaust as the new Ibiza and if so would it be a straight swap to fit the Ibiza with a performance one that’s meant for the polo?
If I'm understanding you right, you want to fit a performance exhaust meant for a Polo to an Ibiza, because the vendor doesn't officially make one for the Ibiza?

If that's the case, are you swapping like for like? It will probably be (unconfirmed, but highly likely) the case that an exhaust meant for a Polo 2.0TSI GTI would not fit an Ibiza with a 1.0TSI engine variant.

You will quite possibly find that a performance exhaust intended for a 115ps 1.0 Polo will fit a 115ps 1.0 Ibiza.

Best way to check is with your local TPS branch (who stock parts for all VAG cars) or on Ekta, to see if your Ibiza's existing (original) exhaust system and that of the the equivalent Polo engine share the same main part number. If they do then what's good for the Polo should also be good for the Ibiza.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was asking. Most likely like for like, was more worried about the exhaust route in the undercarriage being different. I know they’re both mqb(3) but wasn’t sure how far the similarities lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ so what engine is in your Ibiza? I Don't think anyone here has done a comparison between the different Polo variants, to know whether all of the 1.0TSIs share the same exhaust system, or whether there's differences between the 65/80/95/115ps variants.

Does your Ibiza have a GPF (gasoline particulate filter)? Just to make sure you're comparing like for like in your enquiries - don't compare a GPF equipped 115ps Ibiza with a non-GPF 115ps Polo, as the parts numbers definitely won't match.

For most variants of the 1.0TSI, GPF came in for builds after July 2018 (Not sure if the 115ps has always had one, as the Up! GTI which uses that engine has had a GPF from launch.
Wen
New

Post by Wen »

monkeyhanger wrote:^ so what engine is in your Ibiza? I Don't think anyone here has done a comparison between the different Polo variants, to know whether all of the 1.0TSIs share the same exhaust system, or whether there's differences between the 65/80/95/115ps variants.

Does your Ibiza have a GPF (gasoline particulate filter)? Just to make sure you're comparing like for like in your enquiries - don't compare a GPF equipped 115ps Ibiza with a non-GPF 115ps Polo, as the parts numbers definitely won't match.

For most variants of the 1.0TSI, GPF came in for builds after July 2018 (Not sure if the 115ps has always had one, as the Up! GTI which uses that engine has had a GPF from launch.
I’ve got the 1.0tsi 115ps. Engine code CHZJ. first registered in July 18. Not sure if it has a gpf, but isn’t that situated before the Cat? Would only be planning a cat back exhaust.

JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

I may be wrong but I'm sure I heard they were all clobbered Into one unit.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Be careful when buying something for your car from a higher spec\sport version of it (or a similar car). I used to own an Abarth 500, it was coming up to 3 years old when I bought it and all the forums said the standard exhaust back box only lasts 3 years, due to the price of them new (around £400+ if I remember rightly) I set up an Ebay alert for any that came up. I got an alert of one local to me for really cheap (started at £30 and no bids, due to collection only I think), I won it at the starting price, collected it (mint had been taken off a new car that had a upgrade fitted within a week of the owner getting it).

Kept it my cellar for nearly 3 years, my orig back box was only going a bit flaky by the time I part ex'd it against my Leon, so stuck it back on Ebay. Got £120 for it from a guy who (as it turned out after the transaction was complete) wanted to put it on his normal 500 1.4 Sport, got a message a week later from him saying it doesn't fit, the Abarth exhaust is nothing like the normal 500 (Abarth has no centre box and is almost twice the diameter, no way at all to make it fit) and demanded I give him his money back, he even went to Ebay with it but as he paid cash and the fact my advert had stated it was for an Abarth 500 not a Fiat 500 Ebay didn't do anything at all, I told him to go whistle!!

So just be very careful and do your homework before buying a part not meant for your model of car.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

To me, having a VW Polo and a SEAT Ibiza to "look after", I'd only ever expect a Polo owner to try to fit a Ibiza, maybe FR exhaust to their same engined Polo - as Polo is not generally marketed as a "sporting" small car in its lower engine specs, you tend to or at least in the past find that for instance a 1.0TSI 115PS engine in a Polo would always end up with a single tail pipe, whereas in an Ibiza FR with its more "sporting" image would end up with a twin tail pipe - and so a Polo owner might well fancy a mild upgrade to that car's looks by fitting the Ibiza FR spec'd part.
Wen
New

Post by Wen »

RUM4MO wrote:To me, having a VW Polo and a SEAT Ibiza to "look after", I'd only ever expect a Polo owner to try to fit a Ibiza, maybe FR exhaust to their same engined Polo - as Polo is not generally marketed as a "sporting" small car in its lower engine specs, you tend to or at least in the past find that for instance a 1.0TSI 115PS engine in a Polo would always end up with a single tail pipe, whereas in an Ibiza FR with its more "sporting" image would end up with a twin tail pipe - and so a Polo owner might well fancy a mild upgrade to that car's looks by fitting the Ibiza FR spec'd part.
I see where you’re coming from, except the 1.0tsi 115ps fr still only has a single tailpipe

RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

[quote=Wen post_id=551270 time=1551608990

I see where you’re coming from, except the 1.0tsi 115ps fr still only has a single tailpipe

[/quote]

Bother, SEAT now saving a bit more money, so, that leaves A1 but it would need to be in its latest incarnation - and maybe no 1.0TSI used now - and also the GPF issue!

Right, SEAT used to have a range of retro fit parts, so maybe a replacement back box there - though probably better going aftermarket but then there is the insurance issue, I know all about that having bought a slightly used Audi S4 described in the sales burb as having a "sports exhaust" - this was an Audi Approved Used Car scheme car being sold from the original supplying garage - and the exhaust was a cat back Milltec, so my insurer was informed and probably hits me quite hard for that, still it is all stainless steel so should outlast the car in my ownership.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Also be careful, just because some cars share the same platform it does not mean parts are going to fit, esp exhaust back box\tail pipes due to different rear overhangs, exhaust hangers can be in different positions etc
Wen
New

Post by Wen »

Cheers guys, you’ve been really helpful. Tbh, by the time I get round to it, aftermarket parts will probably have been created [emoji23]