New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Richard kinver
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi Mk 6

Re: New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Post by Richard kinver »

Hi, my 2019 Polo GTi, has squeaking rear suspension, I took it the the dealership they took it out on nice smooth flat roads, and could not find anything wrong with it, having owned it now for two years I have found the squeaking rear suspension goes away in the winter, may be the suspension is getting lubricated with water, and it the squeaking rear suspension comes back in the summer when the reaches 26 degrees C and squeaks till winter.
Also recently I had a warning come up on the dash board saying check coolant refer to handbook, I had to put in 350 mls of water in the expansion tank, I can’t find any leaks or white gunge in the oil filler cap, it’s gone down a bit more since I topped it up.
Has anybody else had these problems.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Richard kinver wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 pm Hi, my 2019 Polo GTi, has squeaking rear suspension, I took it the the dealership they took it out on nice smooth flat roads, and could not find anything wrong with it, having owned it now for two years I have found the squeaking rear suspension goes away in the winter, may be the suspension is getting lubricated with water, and it the squeaking rear suspension comes back in the summer when the reaches 26 degrees C and squeaks till winter.
Also recently I had a warning come up on the dash board saying check coolant refer to handbook, I had to put in 350 mls of water in the expansion tank, I can’t find any leaks or white gunge in the oil filler cap, it’s gone down a bit more since I topped it up.
Has anybody else had these problems.
I took my car in for knocking rear suspension last week. They had the car in all day and gave it back to me telling me they couldn't find the issue. I have learnt VW are a waste of time.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

This is a very common complaint. As I understand I am one of the very lucky ones not having this problem. In the Netherlands some have resolved the issue by having placed some demper at the breaking disks.
This is what you'll need: 2x 2Q0615413 trillingsdemper en 2x WHT010011 spec. boutje

And this what it looks like:
IMG_2298.jpeg
IMG_2298.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2611 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Richard kinver; If you Google ‘mk7 and mk7.5 golf leaking thermostat housing and water pump failure’ you’ll see this is a cause of coolant loss (and quite common) with the Golf GTI and R models which also have a version of the 2.0 EA888 petrol engine. With the Golf, there have been cases where there aren’t any visible signs of a leak.

Have you had the dealer pressure test your car’s cooling system? Are you able to smell coolant when the engine’s hot and the cooling system is up to pressure? Replacing the thermostat housing / water pump is a quite an expensive job (I’ve seen figures of £750+ quoted on forums for the Golf), so I’d be getting the dealer to investigate whether or not this is the cause of the coolant level drop in your car. At least that way if this is the issue, there’ll be a record on VW’s system to show that this problem occurred within the warranty period so you shouldn’t have to pay for it to be replaced.

@Rosinfield; the issue that @Richard kinver and @Stuart_Rendall have seems to be squeaking / knocking rear suspension, rather than the moo-ing noise from the rear brakes, although it’s possible that they also have that issue with their cars too. On the subject of moo-ing rear brakes, it seems to have gone very quiet on the forum on this issue considering the number of forum members whose GTI’s had this issue. I’m wondering if it’s just stopped happening, if owners have just learned to live with it or if they’ve had the dampers / weights fitted to their rear brake assemblies?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am @Rosinfield; the issue that @Richard kinver and @Stuart_Rendall have seems to be squeaking / knocking rear suspension, rather than the moo-ing noise from the rear brakes, although it’s possible that they also have that issue with their cars too. On the subject of moo-ing rear brakes, it seems to have gone very quiet on the forum on this issue considering the number of forum members whose GTI’s had this issue. I’m wondering if it’s just stopped happening, if owners have just learned to live with it or if they’ve had the dampers / weights fitted to their rear brake assemblies?
My rear brakes still moo too but i've learnt to live with it since I took it to VW during my service and they blatantly ignored it on their test drive and said they couldn't find that issue either, even though after watching my dashcam footage back the moo-ing could be heard as well as the tech clearly identifying the issue but not being arsed to sort it.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Interestingly, my brakes have stopped mooing. I noticed the other day suddenly that I no longer had the loud noise on reverse. I haven’t done anything at all to the car other than started cleaning the callipers when washing the car with some mild wheel cleaner, a hogs hair brush then some brake cleaner when dry. Haven’t had the moo since I started doing this, thinking back.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm Interestingly, my brakes have stopped mooing. I noticed the other day suddenly that I no longer had the loud noise on reverse. I haven’t done anything at all to the car other than started cleaning the callipers when washing the car with some mild wheel cleaner, a hogs hair brush then some brake cleaner when dry. Haven’t had the moo since I started doing this, thinking back.
Weird you should mention that.
I've started washing the cars with snowfoam (my new toy), and gave my calipers a good going over with snowfoam and a brush the other day.
Only bits I could access, no wheels off or anything.
Anyway, since doing this the mooing is greatly reduced.
Not gone entirely, but not disturb-any-sleeping-neighbours loud any more.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm [quote=lancslad1985 post_id=582013 time=<a href="tel:1618585774">1618585774</a> user_id=15903]
Interestingly, my brakes have stopped mooing. I noticed the other day suddenly that I no longer had the loud noise on reverse. I haven’t done anything at all to the car other than started cleaning the callipers when washing the car with some mild wheel cleaner, a hogs hair brush then some brake cleaner when dry. Haven’t had the moo since I started doing this, thinking back.
Weird you should mention that.
I've started washing the cars with snowfoam (my new toy), and gave my calipers a good going over with snowfoam and a brush the other day.
Only bits I could access, no wheels off or anything.
Anyway, since doing this the mooing is greatly reduced.
Not gone entirely, but not disturb-any-sleeping-neighbours loud any more.
[/quote]

Yeah it’s only the bits I can get at, I don’t take the wheels off or anything. Since I started doing that two/three washes ago the mooing seems to have gone.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve been quite fortunate or lucky on the subject of moo-ing brakes.

@lancslad1985 and @Andy Beats; like both of you, I also clean the brake calipers (along with the barrels of the wheels and backs of the wheel spokes) when I wash the car. I have a set of Wheel Woolies which, along with a soft bristled detailing brush means I can get to all the visible parts of the calipers. The only time I experience moo-ing brakes is the first time of using the car after washing it, when that thin layer of surface rust has formed on the brake discs because they get unavoidably wet during the washing process. Doesn’t moo every first use after car washing though - just sometimes.

I do garage my car, so my brake discs stay shiny clean most of the time, so I’ve concluded (maybe incorrectly) that I think the moo-ing is associated with that thin film of rust forming on the discs, which will happen if a car’s parked outside, especially when it’s raining.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

My 2018 polo GTI - is just getting the water pump replaced now due to a small leak (26,000kms) plastic end common to crack apparently?

At least it's straightforward under warranty but hopefully they address the issue with a better replacement part.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

First time in ages, no mooing from the brakes as I reversed out of the drive this morning.
Actually felt strange not to hear it.
But then they did moo when I reversed into my space at work
Go figure.......

What I really need to get looked at is the jerkiness of the gearbox just as you come off the brakes.
Sitting at lights, release the brakes, there's a noticeable delay then a jerk as it engages the gear, then another jerk as you apply the throttle.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am First time in ages, no mooing from the brakes as I reversed out of the drive this morning.
Go figure.......

What I really need to get looked at is the jerkiness of the gearbox just as you come off the brakes.
Sitting at lights, release the brakes, there's a noticeable delay then a jerk as it engages the gear, then another jerk as you apply the throttle.
I must admit when I first saw your post stating this I had no idea what you were talking about, but I had my car in at VW this week and I had an auto 1.0 95ps polo and the gears were so smooth. I imagine you are more sensitive to the feeling of the jerks, as I can also now feel it after comparison but at the end of the day its a sport box and a sport engine so VW won't fix a jerky box.
35mphspeedlimit
New
Drives: About to order an R Line

Post by 35mphspeedlimit »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am @Richard kinver; If you Google ‘mk7 and mk7.5 golf leaking thermostat housing and water pump failure’ you’ll see this is a cause of coolant loss (and quite common) with the Golf GTI and R models which also have a version of the 2.0 EA888 petrol engine. With the Golf, there have been cases where there aren’t any visible signs of a leak.

Have you had the dealer pressure test your car’s cooling system? Are you able to smell coolant when the engine’s hot and the cooling system is up to pressure? Replacing the thermostat housing / water pump is a quite an expensive job (I’ve seen figures of £750+ quoted on forums for the Golf), so I’d be getting the dealer to investigate whether or not this is the cause of the coolant level drop in your car. At least that way if this is the issue, there’ll be a record on VW’s system to show that this problem occurred within the warranty period so you shouldn’t have to pay for it to be replaced.

@Rosinfield; the issue that @Richard kinver and @Stuart_Rendall have seems to be squeaking / knocking rear suspension, rather than the moo-ing noise from the rear brakes, although it’s possible that they also have that issue with their cars too. On the subject of moo-ing rear brakes, it seems to have gone very quiet on the forum on this issue considering the number of forum members whose GTI’s had this issue. I’m wondering if it’s just stopped happening, if owners have just learned to live with it or if they’ve had the dampers / weights fitted to their rear brake assemblies?
I had a similar coolant problem on my 2015 Audi TTS and had to argue for nearly two years for it to be replaced under warranty. Sounds like a similar issue here. The loss was minimal but still a warrantable issue!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am First time in ages, no mooing from the brakes as I reversed out of the drive this morning.
Go figure.......

I'm so glad you said this, mine didn't moo for some unknown reason last week and I stopped immediately, thinking something was wrong!! It was only a one off though.
ciuz99best
New
Drives: 2020 GTI

Post by ciuz99best »

Rosinfield wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:50 am This is a very common complaint. As I understand I am one of the very lucky ones not having this problem. In the Netherlands some have resolved the issue by having placed some demper at the breaking disks.
This is what you'll need: 2x 2Q0615413 trillingsdemper en 2x WHT010011 spec. boutje

And this what it looks like:
IMG_2298.jpeg
I managed to find some shop from which I can order those parts, but before that, do these fit any GTI 2018+? Mine is 2020